Yes, Yes, Portal 2's 'Summer' DLC is Still Coming

• 88 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4604 posts) -
You'll get access to more single and multiplayer content in some form next month.

We've been waiting oh-so-patiently for Valve to deliver its first slate of downloadable content for Portal 2, but the weeks have gone by without much to say. Valve's been awfully talky at Gamescom this week, however, and Kotaku confirmed with the company it's coming mid-September.

There were rumblings about the downloadable content recently, with Ellen McLain, the voice acctress for GLaDOS, being called in to record more voice work for "a" Valve game.

Last we heard, the downloadable content, titled Portal 2 DLC #1, will be free across all platforms--Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, Mac. In the past, Valve has pushed free downloadable content on some platforms (PC), while having to charge for it on others with policies against free content (Xbox 360).

Valve's been quiet on specifics, but has said the downloadable content will include "new test chambers for players, leaderboards, challenge mode for single and multiplayer modes, and more."

More? I wonder what the more is.

Maybe now's the time to dust off Portal 2 and finally play that co-op mode.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4604 posts) -
You'll get access to more single and multiplayer content in some form next month.

We've been waiting oh-so-patiently for Valve to deliver its first slate of downloadable content for Portal 2, but the weeks have gone by without much to say. Valve's been awfully talky at Gamescom this week, however, and Kotaku confirmed with the company it's coming mid-September.

There were rumblings about the downloadable content recently, with Ellen McLain, the voice acctress for GLaDOS, being called in to record more voice work for "a" Valve game.

Last we heard, the downloadable content, titled Portal 2 DLC #1, will be free across all platforms--Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, Mac. In the past, Valve has pushed free downloadable content on some platforms (PC), while having to charge for it on others with policies against free content (Xbox 360).

Valve's been quiet on specifics, but has said the downloadable content will include "new test chambers for players, leaderboards, challenge mode for single and multiplayer modes, and more."

More? I wonder what the more is.

Maybe now's the time to dust off Portal 2 and finally play that co-op mode.

Staff
#2 Edited by BaconGames (3417 posts) -

This is how they got people into TF2. Sneaky bastards. The bitch of it all is that I think it's a good thing their strategy.

EDIT: QUEST COMPLETE INTERNET DAY MADE. And I thought it wouldn't get any better today.

#3 Posted by Chet_Rippo (235 posts) -

Awesome. I didn't even realize they were doing a DLC.

#4 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I've been waiting for this.

#5 Posted by YukoAsho (2050 posts) -

'summer' DLC for the fall.  Yep, that's Valve.  Can't even do a couple maps on any sort of schedule.

#6 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

How cool! <3

#7 Posted by hazzard4123 (196 posts) -

I'm not surprised. VALVe takes their sweet time, and produces great stuff, so I'm not too worried, as long as its good.

#8 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

I just remembered I never actually finished the co-op... Any takers (PS3)?

#9 Posted by Corvak (1075 posts) -

Free on all platforms - if they do more than one DLC, MS is gonna force them to charge for it.

#10 Edited by NHLmaniac (113 posts) -

@YukoAsho Mid September is still summer. :)

#11 Posted by MisterMouse (3554 posts) -

Can't Wait till this is released!!!!!!!!!

#12 Posted by Tesla (1923 posts) -

Oooooooh yeah!

#13 Posted by Henny (105 posts) -

Maybe EA can do some free DLCs eh eh?!?!!!

#14 Posted by NoelVeiga (1099 posts) -
@NHLmaniac said:
@YukoAsho Mid September is still fall. :)
No, sir. Summer technically ends on the 23rd of September.
#15 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

They took too long. I beat my PS3 copy twice, the second time I even went out of my way to enjoy all the dialogue and areas. But it was just sitting there gathering dust, so I got rid of it. I still do have the PC version though.

#16 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

I don't agree with the notion that MS is twisting Valve's arm to charge for DLC. They are still doing it right? If its so morally wrong, they wouldn't even update it on 360 likeTF2/Orange Box.

If anything, Valve would love to charge you for PC DLC, things like the climate of the industry and perhaps the attitude of PC gamers is preventing that. If you don't think so, why are they trying to recoup on the PC with co-op skins?

#17 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

Good news! I'm looking forward to more Co-op content.

#18 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

If the idea behind free DLC is to keep the game installed they might wanna close the gap a bit. I uninstalled Portal 2 like 4 months ago or something. People don't have infinity HD space, can't just leave some 16 gig game on a hard drive because maybe a small amount of new content pops up half a year later.

#19 Posted by Levius (1131 posts) -

Wow completely forgot about this, glad they have took there time.

Also the voice actress being called in seems odd, I'm pretty sure i remember reading the new stuff won't have a story, could be wrong though.

#20 Posted by tagman90 (12 posts) -

Here's to hoping it takes more than an hour to complete!

#21 Posted by The_Nubster (2144 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
If the idea behind free DLC is to keep the game installed they might wanna close the gap a bit. I uninstalled Portal 2 like 4 months ago or something. People don't have infinity HD space, can't just leave some 16 gig game on a hard drive because maybe a small amount of new content pops up half a year later.
I don't know why it is they don't charge for the first-party DLC, but they don't. Which is awful nice of them, if nothing else.
#22 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -
@hazzard4123 said:
I'm not surprised. VALVe takes their sweet time, and produces great stuff, so I'm not too worried, as long as its good.
#23 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

It is nice. I just wonder what they gain from it. Maybe they're just nice dudes.

#24 Posted by Ascalon (14 posts) -

This can't come soon enough

#25 Posted by Flipyap (62 posts) -

" Maybe now's the time to dust off Portal 2 and finally play that co-op mode." 

For sure. That's where they hid all the good puzzles.  

And laserdiscs. So you know it's better than the single player.

#26 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Free stuff!

#27 Posted by ThePilgrums (428 posts) -

Take your time. Make it as good as possible. I can wait.

#28 Posted by UberExplodey (941 posts) -

gimme

#29 Posted by bkbroiler (1626 posts) -

Yes, I remember my time with the co-op much more than SP. Could have something to do with who I played it with, though.

#30 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

Free? Sweet!

#31 Posted by NHLmaniac (113 posts) -

@NoelVeiga: Yeah I meant to say Summer and for some reason put Fall instead. Witty comment ruined.

#32 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
It is nice. I just wonder what they gain from it. Maybe they're just nice dudes.
 Gabe always has a plan.
#33 Posted by Dezinus (274 posts) -

Recording for "a" game? Episode 3!

A man can dream.

#34 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

More being more high fives and other wacky hijinx between Atlus and Peabody.

#35 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@Dezinus said:

Recording for "a" game? Episode 3!

A man can dream.

It's farfetched, but not THAT farfetched. She did voicework in Episode 2 after all. She was the combine dispatch lady voice, I believe. 

Who am I kidding... anything related to Episode 3 coming out is farfetched -_-
#36 Posted by zanshin (148 posts) -

Remember that it's still summer until Sept 21, so Value is staying true to their word!

#37 Posted by gale (44 posts) -

"More? I wonder what the more is."

Hats. I bet it's more hats.

#38 Posted by Summoboomo (142 posts) -
@gale said:

"More? I wonder what the more is."

Hats. I bet it's more hats.

It better be hats.

Bill's hat for the robots please.
#39 Posted by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

All these people going nuts over hats for Team Fortress 2 or whatever, I just don't understand the excitement, I mean it's just a few polygons more on your Team Fortress character. What's the hook?

#40 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
#41 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@tagman90 said:

Here's to hoping it takes more than an hour to complete!

Meanwhile Activision is charging 15 bucks for 3 maps...

#42 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

NOOOO MY S-RANK

#43 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

How did they manage to get it free on the Xbox?

#44 Posted by GravityProof (282 posts) -

Nice. was wondering about this..

#45 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

A hat with a portal gun built into it!

#46 Posted by BluThundur (7 posts) -

At least it's coming out before Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

#47 Posted by lumberingjackal (229 posts) -

I'll buy another copy of Portal 2 for some Half-Life info.

#48 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

It better be free on the Xbox as I won't be getting it otherwise.

#49 Edited by xbob42 (513 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

See, Valve has this really crazy idea that if you're a loyal customer you might keep coming back, rather than bending you over and fucking you in the ass to make a quick buck.

Treating your customers like decent people is a seriously underrated thing in the gaming industry.  Customer loyalty is one of the most valuable assets you can have.
#50 Posted by Crono (2668 posts) -
@xbob42 said:
@ryanwho said:

See, Valve has this really crazy idea that if you're a loyal customer you might keep coming back, rather than bending you over and fucking you in the ass to make a quick buck.  Treating your customers like decent people is a seriously underrated thing in the gaming industry.  Customer loyalty is one of the most valuable assets you can have.
Well that's mostly true. But fact is there is a shop in the game where you can play dress up with your bots. They're probably equally hoping that, through your loyalty - and by them giving you situations where you can show your bot off - that you'll buy stuff from their shops, such as flags, skins, and different animations.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.