Yes, Yes, Portal 2's 'Summer' DLC is Still Coming

• 88 results
#51 Posted by locolukah (112 posts) -

I feel bad for the people who don't know Mid-September is fall...what other obvious things are they oblivious of?

#52 Posted by probablytuna (3445 posts) -

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I'm in space.

#53 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

Mmmmmmmmm

#54 Posted by patrick (556 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
If the idea behind free DLC is to keep the game installed they might wanna close the gap a bit. I uninstalled Portal 2 like 4 months ago or something. People don't have infinity HD space, can't just leave some 16 gig game on a hard drive because maybe a small amount of new content pops up half a year later.
If your Portal 2 install is 16GB, you're doing something wrong.
#55 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

I bet they'll release 2 sets of DLC, then promise a third and never make it.

#56 Posted by froggeh (18 posts) -

@NoelVeiga said:

@NHLmaniac said:
@YukoAsho Mid September is still summer. :)
No, sir. Summer technically ends on the 23rd of September.

Technically the 23rd is in the final third of September.

#57 Posted by KFGrip (5 posts) -

Can't wait for more Portal! I need to play through co-op still too.

#58 Posted by tourgen (4241 posts) -

I'm pretty happy with Valve's DLC methods so far.  I get challenge modes and free test chambers.  and everyone who chooses to do so can blow cash on the multiplayer dressup mode.  Win-win.  Free stuff gets people coming back around to the game, more press, happy customers, and more people looking thru their ingame shop.

#59 Posted by Rusputin (75 posts) -
@patrickklepek: sooooooooooo haven't played co-op, huh???  Maybe you and I should practice a bit n stuff to prepare... and so you can get me that Professor Portal achieve????  *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*
#60 Posted by xbob42 (426 posts) -
@Crono said:
@xbob42 said:
@ryanwho said:

It is nice. I just wonder what they gain from it. Maybe they're just nice dudes.

See, Valve has this really crazy idea that if you're a loyal customer you might keep coming back, rather than bending you over and fucking you in the ass to make a quick buck.  Treating your customers like decent people is a seriously underrated thing in the gaming industry.  Customer loyalty is one of the most valuable assets you can have.
Well that's mostly true. But fact is there is a shop in the game where you can play dress up with your bots. They're probably equally hoping that, through your loyalty - and by them giving you situations where you can show your bot off - that you'll buy stuff from their shops, such as flags, skins, and different animations.
Well, yeah, that's like...  completely obvious?  They still want to make money, but they don't want you paying for content.  If you wanna buy a hat for your robot, it's not gonna change the game.  That's the whole point.  No shitty dollar $15 map packs that will splinter the community, y'know?
#61 Edited by ribeye (411 posts) -

@AmatureIdiot said:

Wow completely forgot about this, glad they have took there time.

Also the voice actress being called in seems odd, I'm pretty sure i remember reading the new stuff won't have a story, could be wrong though.

She's also the overwatch lady you hear coming over the Combine loudspeakers in HL2 and the announcer in TF2 so who knows

#62 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

...there was DLC that didn't require a small fortune to buy? Son of a bitch...

#63 Posted by AHR (10 posts) -

PUT A HAT ON IT

#64 Posted by OriginalClint (3 posts) -

Hopefully sooner rather than later!

#65 Edited by Branthog (7332 posts) -

I already beat Portal 2. It took two sittings. It was a great game. I don't need more of it

#66 Posted by GozerTC (452 posts) -
@Devoid said:

I bet they'll release 2 sets of DLC, then promise a third and never make it.

rofl
#67 Posted by FoxMulder (1568 posts) -

Dust off Portal 2 and play co-op? Everyone I know did that immediately after they beat the story.

#68 Edited by umdesch4 (770 posts) -

@patrick said:

@ryanwho said:
If the idea behind free DLC is to keep the game installed they might wanna close the gap a bit. I uninstalled Portal 2 like 4 months ago or something. People don't have infinity HD space, can't just leave some 16 gig game on a hard drive because maybe a small amount of new content pops up half a year later.
If your Portal 2 install is 16GB, you're doing something wrong.

Well, mine's pushing 10GB (like 9.78GB), but regardless, I see his point. I install Steam stuff to my main system drive, which is a 64GB SSD drive, 'cuz I like the positively massive performance boost it gives to my games. But keeping a game around that's taking up almost 1/6 of my drive becomes problematic. This is part of why Bethesda lost my money on New Vegas DLC, by keeping it a 360 exclusive for months until I finally gave up and reclaimed the HD space.

As soon as prices start dropping on SSD drives, this won't be an issue, but for now, it's a factor for me, and I suspect a few others as well.

PS. I held on to Portal 2 though, so I'm very much looking forward to this DLC, and I'm certainly not complaining!

#69 Posted by left4doof (286 posts) -
@YukoAsho: At least they will be good
#70 Posted by NoelVeiga (1044 posts) -
@froggeh said:

@NoelVeiga said:

@NHLmaniac said:
@YukoAsho Mid September is still summer. :)
No, sir. Summer technically ends on the 23rd of September.

Technically the 23rd is in the final third of September.

Yeah, the original post used to say "it's still fall", which turned out to be a typo and he edited it. So now none of this conversation makes any sense.
#71 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

If the statement "Dust off Portal 2 and finally play that co-op mode" applies to you, then sorry, but you've missed the best part of the game and need to make amends immediately.

#72 Posted by dudeglove (7254 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if the release of the DLC ties into some Valve sale or TF2/DoTA2 promo.

#73 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

so by Valve time we can look forward to this DLC early next year

#74 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
Then why not just uninstall the game then reinstall it later on? Hardly a big deal no?

As for me I actually have too much hard drive space so I pretty much leave games installed all the time.
#75 Posted by I_smell (3926 posts) -

Obligatory joke about "Valve time".

#76 Posted by Parsnip (1068 posts) -

You know, Ellen McLain does a lot of other things for Valve.

I mean, Portal 2 DLC is awesome and all, but I kind of wish that she would have gone in there and record some Overwatch dialogue for the next Half-Life instead.

#77 Posted by DarthB (245 posts) -

Hope it's as great as the rest of the game. I've finished the single and co-op stuff already and I'm ready for more!!

#78 Posted by Abigailnn (52 posts) -

yay. love everything portal-related

#79 Posted by HellBrendy (992 posts) -
@I_smell said:

Obligatory answer about not whining about free stuff. 
#80 Posted by Hi_Voltg3 (57 posts) -

Awesome. Can't wait.
#81 Posted by I_smell (3926 posts) -

@HellBrendy said:

@I_smell said:

Yeeaaaaaa I wasn't being serious

#82 Posted by HellBrendy (992 posts) -
@I_smell said:

@HellBrendy said:

@I_smell said:

Yeeaaaaaa I wasn't being serious

It's all good, neither was I.  

Had actually forgotten about this, but I do love me some more GLaDOS. 
#83 Posted by mrmpiii (1 posts) -

Hard to keep waiting. (Taps foot.)

#84 Posted by InertiaticESP (61 posts) -

Thank god. I'm so sick of playing easily Breakable custom maps. 

Got it for Playstation but ended up activating the steam copy and trading the console version back =D. 

Ended up paying 25 dollars for the best version of Portal 2, the PC version.

#85 Posted by BlazingWookie (173 posts) -
#86 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

Mid-September? They're pushing the boundaries of a Summer release.

#87 Posted by MeatSim (10603 posts) -

Mid-September is the new summer time.

#88 Posted by FifiChiaPet (35 posts) -

I loved my time with Portal 2 and look forward to the additional content. I'm quite obsessed with Mortal Kombat at the moment, so that will keep me occupied for the time being.

#89 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -

Does valve time apply to DLC too?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.