You Can't Play These Portal 2 Levels Without a $140 Controller

• 148 results
Posted by Alex (1980 posts) -

Portal 2 fans have been eagerly awaiting the promised free DLC from Valve since the game's release. Today, there is DLC for Portal 2, but it's not free, and it's not from Valve.

Dude! They're rescaling the crap outta that cube!

Rather, it's a pack of ten levels developed by Sixense Studios, a collective of motion-sensing evangelists that have partnered with peripheral controller maker Razer to develop the Hydra motion controller. The controller, which vaguely resembles a pair of Wii Nunchuks strung to something that looks like it should be hanging from the ceiling of a Borg cube, is required in order to play these new levels. The good news? It'll only cost you $140! Oh, wait, that's actually the terrible news. The good news is... wait, is there even good news here?

Oh, maybe it's that the levels themselves actually sound pretty cool. Using the Hydra controller, these levels let you do some pretty bananas stuff, like rotate portals and rescale objects, such as custom weighted test cubes. No, that's actually more of a terrible tease than good news. Hmmm.

Could it be that you can buy the hardware directly from Steam, provided you live in North America? Well, I guess that's good news for North Americans, sort of. As for Europeans, you'll be paying 140 Euros, and have to buy it directly from Razer's website. You'll still get the Portal 2 content, though you might have to skimp out on paying your electric bill this month.

Okay, so none of this is really good news. We'll just go ahead and resume our tireless vigil awaiting Valve's first official DLC release. It's gotta be coming soon, right? It's just gotta be...

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1980 posts) -

Portal 2 fans have been eagerly awaiting the promised free DLC from Valve since the game's release. Today, there is DLC for Portal 2, but it's not free, and it's not from Valve.

Dude! They're rescaling the crap outta that cube!

Rather, it's a pack of ten levels developed by Sixense Studios, a collective of motion-sensing evangelists that have partnered with peripheral controller maker Razer to develop the Hydra motion controller. The controller, which vaguely resembles a pair of Wii Nunchuks strung to something that looks like it should be hanging from the ceiling of a Borg cube, is required in order to play these new levels. The good news? It'll only cost you $140! Oh, wait, that's actually the terrible news. The good news is... wait, is there even good news here?

Oh, maybe it's that the levels themselves actually sound pretty cool. Using the Hydra controller, these levels let you do some pretty bananas stuff, like rotate portals and rescale objects, such as custom weighted test cubes. No, that's actually more of a terrible tease than good news. Hmmm.

Could it be that you can buy the hardware directly from Steam, provided you live in North America? Well, I guess that's good news for North Americans, sort of. As for Europeans, you'll be paying 140 Euros, and have to buy it directly from Razer's website. You'll still get the Portal 2 content, though you might have to skimp out on paying your electric bill this month.

Okay, so none of this is really good news. We'll just go ahead and resume our tireless vigil awaiting Valve's first official DLC release. It's gotta be coming soon, right? It's just gotta be...

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Staff
#2 Edited by lclay (383 posts) -

What? So when do we get some proper DLC?

edit: man about time >_<

#3 Edited by Sinful (211 posts) -

Woot News! plus Not First!

And wtf..i hope this is a mistake! Wake me up!

#4 Posted by S0mewh4tD4m4ged (346 posts) -

pass

#5 Posted by Galiant (2181 posts) -

That controller looks weird...

#6 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

Valve, you want to play nice with PS3 owners, and millions of us already have Move. Come on, throw us a bone here.

#7 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Are you kidding me?

#8 Edited by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

I don't have a problem with Valve making some levels for Razer (a couple of the potatoes from the recent ARG could only be obtained if you used a Razer gaming mouse), but as far as the controller itself goes, that is definitely not how I want to play PC games.

#9 Posted by Nomin (964 posts) -

The title of this article is sort of like what I`d call `fishing`for hits. 

#10 Posted by mak_wikus (508 posts) -

When will they fucking understand that 1 dollar DOES NOT equal 1 euro?

#11 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

I guess that is alright... although I don't want to buy a controller. Sorry.

#12 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

People are surprised about this? This was announced months ago when the Hydra was first shown.

#13 Posted by Binarynova (150 posts) -

Sounds like gimmicky unofficial levels designed to move units of some silly controller. I think I'll pass and wait on the free official Valve levels.

#14 Posted by Loopah (133 posts) -

What terrible news...

#15 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (954 posts) -
#16 Posted by Alex (1980 posts) -

@Nomin:Except that it's a true statement?

Staff
#17 Posted by BasketSnake (1171 posts) -

Just look up user created maps and campaigns. FOR FREE.

#18 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

Razer is the last brand you should be making deals with.

#19 Posted by EOT (131 posts) -

140 Euro is $200 by the way. What is up with Valves EU pricing. I live in the UK so it doesn't affect me much but still. I'm not quite sure how they justify a 30% price hike on everything. It's like the UK's $360 3DS.

#20 Posted by Saga (179 posts) -

who is the developer? Robbery INC?

#21 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

I wonder if they know by doing this it sends the wrong message to the community.

#22 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

140 dollars = not 140 euros + shipping

Fuck. That. Shit.

#23 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1175 posts) -
@mak_wikus said:
When will they fucking understand that 1 dollar DOES NOT equal 1 euro?
Maybe the same day they figure out that $1 US is not equal to $3 CAD especially when they are on par.
#24 Posted by thedevilbat (49 posts) -

Portal is fun, but not that fun.

#25 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

Not many people can afford this but are still really interested, so I'm sure that a lot of us would really appreciate a quick look of these levels.

#26 Posted by MmmSkyscraper (312 posts) -

How about no.

#27 Posted by simonbuchan (33 posts) -

Well at least here in New Zealand they are tracking the US dollar accurately, since our dollar went from USD ~0.65 to ~0.90 games on Steam here are USD 90 rather than the old 50 or 60. Wait, that's not good at all, dammit.

Love the writing in this article, BTW :)

#28 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Meh, who cares about this? The existence of a product I don't want to purchase doesn't offend me. The levels aren't even designed by Valve.

#29 Posted by MattyFTM (14351 posts) -

They'd probably get more sales of that controller if they said "Hey, buy this $140 controller and get a free TF2 hat".

#30 Posted by DarkbeatDK (1241 posts) -
#31 Posted by rmanthorp (3889 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

They'd probably get more sales of that controller if they said "Hey, buy this $140 controller and get a free TF2 hat".

I'd but THAT for a dollar.
#32 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

I'm just gonna throw this out there - it would be super cool if you guys Quick Looked this DLC, or played it on Happy Hour. I'd love to see some of the weird things they do, but $140 for a handful of Portal 2 levels is not happening.

@jayjonesjunior said:

Razer is the last brand you should be making deals with.

I used to be all about Razer stuff. Then both my super expensive Razer headset and my super expensive Razer sound card died in the same day. Fuck Razer so much.

#33 Posted by PieGuy (313 posts) -

That controller is messed up.

#34 Posted by Delta_Ass (3255 posts) -

Oh look, I created a portal... in my wallet.

#35 Posted by subrandom (117 posts) -

i dont have time to do it now but someone should make a razer hydra page asap

#36 Posted by Ohvee (143 posts) -

@Nomin said:

Not really. Like any good title, it's gives you a reason to read the corresponding article. This one is just really honest.

#37 Posted by FissionXuiptz (3 posts) -
@simonbuchan said:

Well at least here in New Zealand they are tracking the US dollar accurately, since our dollar went from USD ~0.65 to ~0.90 games on Steam here are USD 90 rather than the old 50 or 60. Wait, that's not good at all, dammit.

Love the writing in this article, BTW :)

Highway bloody robbery is what that is :/
#38 Posted by Civ2boss (10 posts) -

I'm not sure why people are upset by this? They are levels designed for this new controller. I think it looks pretty decent. I won't get it, but I dont know why it would offend anyone?

#39 Posted by mracoon (4961 posts) -

Can't wait until the first proper DLC pack is released. I could do with more Portal 2 co-op.

#40 Posted by arch4non (443 posts) -

This can't be true, there's no way.

I'm not paying $140 just for a couple of Portal 2 levels. All I really liked about it was the narrative anyway.

#41 Posted by SuperSambo (2854 posts) -

Maybe if there was more reason to buy the controller, but it seems kinda stupid right now...

If there were 100 new maps, then it would be good value.

#42 Posted by simonbuchan (33 posts) -

@iAmJohn: Stick to the input devices. Razer's Black Widow mechanical keyboard is the best keyboard I've ever used, and I've used quite a few. (Just make sure not to waste your money on the 'Ultimate' - backlighting is not worth $40). It's cheaper than any other mechanical keyboard I've seen, and has even better feel than the Das Keyboard, though I'd love to get my fingers on an IBM Model M or equivalent for comparison. Also I like the weightlessness of their mice - most of the other high DPI mice are too heavy for me.

#43 Posted by MEATBALL (3092 posts) -

@Nomin said:

Isn't that what a headline is supposed to do? It's not like it's overly misleading, any reasonable person is going to think "There must be more to this" and click on through to see the whole story. It's a clever headline and nothing about it seems particularly gross to me.

#44 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Wait, what? Fuck that shit!
Also, 140 euros is more than 140 dollars.

#45 Posted by simonbuchan (33 posts) -

@FissionXuiptz: To be fair to Steam, its only Modern Warfare (both Blops, and 2???) that gets *that* bad. FEAR 3 and Dirt 3 are (pre)selling for $50 still, for example. But Duke Nukem is $80, and The Witcher 2 is $75. :(

#46 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

I'm not buying that,

#47 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
#48 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

@arch4non: @thabigred: @Cyrisaurus: @drhans: @jayjonesjunior: These are just user-made levels (company-made, technically). This is not Valve's doing. Read the article. Anyone is free to make Portal 2 levels, including a company promoting a mouse.

This is not, as @alex kind of made it sound like with the headline, the first Portal 2 DLC. It's just some downloadable maps people made.

#49 Posted by Dedodido (235 posts) -

The majority of comments on this article are oozing with stupidity.

#50 Posted by simonbuchan (33 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai: Aren't they breaking the mod terms by effectively selling these maps though? They would have to have official sign off to do this, which does make these kinda-sorta official DLC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.