You Can't Play These Portal 2 Levels Without a $140 Controller

• 148 results
#101 Posted by patrick (563 posts) -

@Haru48 said:

I play PC games so that I can have a billion buttons, and free range over my movement, without stupid motion controller crap. Why in gods name, did this ever seem like a good idea!?!?!!?

It adds the feature of moving things along the z-axis, not even the console versions replicate this on a gamepad.

#102 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

My advice is pretend this dlc never happened and wait for valve's stuff.

#103 Posted by ScaryGaryofAk (50 posts) -

Alright, to be honest here, I don't see the problem in this. Knowing valve I am sure better content is on the way and besides, its always cool when that fancy controller gets showed off, so I am perfectly find with this

#104 Edited by baxterpunch (37 posts) -

@notha: Before, the headline said "Portal 2 DLC" which made it sound like this was the first Valve-made official DLC to hit Portal 2, and if you wanted to play it, you would have to buy a $140 dollar controller. When in reality, the people who made this controller got someone to make Portal 2 levels for it and Valve ok'd it.

The headline (and article) made it seem like Valve is trying to rip everyone off by making them buy a PC Wiimote. But it seems to me to be the other way around, the "DLC" is just a freebie (as well as a copy of Portal 2) for when you buy this ridiculous controller.

Edit: Actually, @Kyle said it way better than me and in many fewer words.

#105 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

They showed this at GDC didn't they?

#106 Posted by Zeemod (303 posts) -

What's this?! I've never heard of this kind of bullshit before! That just makes it innovative bullshit.

#107 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

hey, atleast it looks cool...

Right?

#108 Posted by Jensonb (1750 posts) -

I love the way Alex writes these articles xD

#109 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Might be expensive, but it's the first proper set of motion controls that work for games we play. Sony screwed itself by excluding the thumbstick from the Move, and coming out with a Move 2 too soon would be bad as well.

MS still has a chance to release a proper controller (a full regular controller split in two) for use with Kinect, but I doubt it this gen. Come to think of it, I bet Kinect could emulate this controller if the user had two regular controllers as well. Any Kinect 'hackers' out there reading this?

I just hope Valve/Razer/Sixense were smart enough to map the camera to the right thumbstick instead of forcing you to aim near the edge of the screen.

#110 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

Trolls posts on Giantbomb? Seriously? I'd expect this from Jim Sterling at Destructoid (in fact he posted the same thing over on Destructoid today) but from Giantbomb?

#111 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

Eh, they weren't made my valve so I have no reason to be interested in them or this Wii-mote knock-off for the PC.

#112 Posted by mewarmo990 (835 posts) -

Gimmicky.

#113 Posted by TehJames (199 posts) -

Typical.....

140 Dollar=140 Euors.....Facepalme. The Eorus is worth more then the dollar and their for it's more expansive for us.

#114 Posted by grbear (59 posts) -
@zeemod155 I believe GRAW owners got exclusive levels if they bought a PhysX card so this sort of thing has happened before.
#115 Posted by vhold (407 posts) -

I'd actually buy this if Garry's Mod had good support for it, that would actually be really cool.

#116 Posted by MrXD (240 posts) -

*face palm*

#117 Posted by dr_mantas (1887 posts) -

As STUPID as this seems, maybe there is some logical basis for it. I mean, a mouse is basically an extremely precise motion control device on a 2D plane. So the logical advancement would be a super precise 3D space motion controller. Except it's completely unnecessary for now, Razer. NOT. NEEDED.

I love their mice, though (DeathAdder FTW)

#118 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@RsistncE said:

Trolls posts on Giantbomb? Seriously? I'd expect this from Jim Sterling at Destructoid (in fact he posted the same thing over on Destructoid today) but from Giantbomb?

Alex is sometimes smarmy but not a troll (love your work Navarro). If anything, this device's price and the lateness of its DLC delivery is more of a troll by Razer. Alex's post is apt.

#119 Posted by Manloi (44 posts) -

So if I order the RAZER hydra from STEAM.

I can get a digital download version of the Portal 2 DLC and Portal 2, and the Hydra.

How long will it take for me to download the Hydra controller from Steam? (LOL, a joke).

It should take about 50 years by download actual object from the internet.

Sorry, if you guys think my joke is stupid.

#120 Posted by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -
@patrick said:

@Haru48 said:

I play PC games so that I can have a billion buttons, and free range over my movement, without stupid motion controller crap. Why in gods name, did this ever seem like a good idea!?!?!!?

It adds the feature of moving things along the z-axis, not even the console versions replicate this on a gamepad.

But... Couldn't you just do that with the scroll wheel?
#121 Posted by Brendan (7811 posts) -

@RsistncE said:

Yeah, although Alex is a great writer, I feel like his articles are too often laced with his own viewpoint and affect how things are perceived by the audience.

I should also say that although this seems cool, I would never buy one.

#122 Posted by Sweaterfish (35 posts) -

And back to waiting for that DLC.

#123 Edited by Sin4profit (2933 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

Might be expensive, but it's the first proper set of motion controls that work for games we play. Sony screwed itself by excluding the thumbstick from the Move, and coming out with a Move 2 too soon would be bad as well.

MS still has a chance to release a proper controller (a full regular controller split in two) for use with Kinect, but I doubt it this gen. Come to think of it, I bet Kinect could emulate this controller if the user had two regular controllers as well. Any Kinect 'hackers' out there reading this?

I just hope Valve/Razer/Sixense were smart enough to map the camera to the right thumbstick instead of forcing you to aim near the edge of the screen.

A-fuckin-men! My thoughts EXACTLY! Especially the part about the split controller working with Kinect, it's such a no-brainer idea and they have a chance to revolutionize the 360 with a new official controller, much like the original Playstation did when they released the DuelShock controller...who the hell even remembers the original Playstation controller anyway?

All this does is add another stack of analog to the game which can be used in interesting ways, i believe, without alienating the audience accustom to the duel thumbstick controls, it's win for everyone!

That said, i ordered the Hydra yesterday and it's been said that i should get it in about a week, i'll know more then.

#124 Posted by Cirdain (3089 posts) -
@vhold said:

I'd actually buy this if Garry's Mod had good support for it, that would actually be really cool.

*mind blown*
#125 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

For a second there, I thought this was replacing the DLC Valve was making. Man that was scary.

#126 Posted by selbie (1903 posts) -

I dont get why people are dissing the controller before theyve even tried it. Mouse and keyboard is only good because people are used to it. Try something new FFS

#127 Edited by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

I wonder how the controller feels like, obviously for that price i would probably not buy it, but im rather curious.

edit. ive just seen this

It looks freaking interesting, i like what you can do with the portals i.e. moving them, also resizing objects. very cool concepts, but the price! oh god

Cant you just use a PS Move for example that should be able to do the same thing right?

#128 Posted by takua108 (1479 posts) -

The lack of Novint Falcon support in Portal 2 had me seriously bummed, as a proud Falcon owner and user (and the guy who wrote that entire page).

#129 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

Definitely not buying a controller just for DLC

#130 Posted by dagas (2837 posts) -

Buy now and you get two brand new Sega Saturn controllers at no extra cost! See how they cut through a loaf of bread like butter!

#131 Posted by ThePantheon (728 posts) -

Hey Alex, don't do "bait" headlines for Giant Bomb. Come on, duder. I love ya, but come on.

#132 Posted by Mojokilla (36 posts) -

I'm dying for a review of this thing.  

Although, honestly, the last thing I need is another -- overpriced -- motion controller I don't use.  

Must resist!!!

#133 Posted by Paulrus (244 posts) -
@Sayishere said:

I wonder how the controller feels like, obviously for that price i would probably not buy it, but im rather curious.

edit. ive just seen this

It looks freaking interesting, i like what you can do with the portals i.e. moving them, also resizing objects. very cool concepts, but the price! oh god

Cant you just use a PS Move for example that should be able to do the same thing right?

Freaking tragic. Those are some cool mechanics, but why would anyone pay for it? In fact, whats stopping the modders from just taking the levels and repro-*stomped to death by crack legal hit squad*
#134 Posted by SixtyXCelph (211 posts) -

I still have not purchased Portal 2, but this is still aggravating.  I'll be curious to see how well this DLC does.

#135 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

olololololololol pass.

#136 Posted by Trylks (829 posts) -

smells like fail.

#137 Posted by CaptianBadKid (5 posts) -

I must say, Razer does make nice gaming supplies, it it's certainly not something I'm going to get. 
Come on Valve, give us some real DLC.

#138 Posted by GalacticGravy (548 posts) -
@Cyrisaurus: PS3 got a bone. You guys got free copies of the PC version. My Xbox 360 version got me nothing extra. 
#139 Posted by Maotou (71 posts) -

Yeah a couple of levels isn't worth having to throw down $140 to just play them. Hell they could be offering twenty levels and it still wouldn't be worth it. 

#140 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Oh I am thrilled. A controller not even for a game, but for DLC

#141 Posted by Waffles13 (610 posts) -

How is this bad news in any way? If you are interested in the controller, you get a tech demo for it. If you aren't there are entire communities devoted to making new content for you. Also, the Portal levels are free, they just come with an expensive controller.. The Hydra isn't some Portal only device, it's designed to be the PC's motion controller. Acting like this is somehow an outrage to the Portal fanbase is incredibly biased and unfair.

#142 Posted by Rekt_Hed (848 posts) -

@Paulrus said:

@Sayishere said:

edit. ive just seen this

Freaking tragic. Those are some cool mechanics, but why would anyone pay for it? In fact, whats stopping the modders from just taking the levels and repro-*stomped to death by crack legal hit squad*

Looks to me if youve got a ps move controller and nav controller this content will be coming out on the ps3 eventually. $140 though.....jeeeeez WTF!

#143 Posted by Waffles13 (610 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:

Oh I am thrilled. A controller not even for a game, but for DLC

It is NOT for Portal 2. It's built for any PC game. Saying the controller is for the DLC is like saying Kinect was built for Kinect Adventures.
#144 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -

@Manloi said:

So if I order the RAZER hydra from STEAM.

I can get a digital download version of the Portal 2 DLC and Portal 2, and the Hydra.

How long will it take for me to download the Hydra controller from Steam? (LOL, a joke).

It should take about 50 years by download actual object from the internet.

Sorry, if you guys think my joke is stupid.

I chuckled.

#145 Edited by MeatSim (10861 posts) -

Doesn't seem worth it at all.

#146 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

Any chance of a quick look or something? I know I won't be able to afford this very soon.

#147 Posted by andygazi (100 posts) -

That looks like alot of fun. Nice twist.

#148 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

Anyone else think that the controller looks like some weird, almost alien sex toy? I don't envy the guys who beta tested it....

#149 Posted by BobsledKing (4 posts) -

what a gip.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.