Intro to GLaDOS 101: A Professor's Decision to Teach Portal

• 105 results
#51 Posted by Little_Socrates (5684 posts) -
@litrock said:
I am kind of surprised so few people noticed Chell, though. The very first portal you go through, if you're observant, will give you a glimpse of yourself.
Thing is, many of the students probably weren't taking the game even remotely seriously when they got started, so they probably didn't notice her. Others were inexperienced with games (at least on the PC/Mac,) so they probably were busy fighting with the controls at that point.

Amazing that this class has already been taught. Hope it leads to other, similar ideas throughout the nation. Though I don't expect we'll see Mass Effect or Red Dead Redemption outside of drama fiction classes.
#52 Posted by Alphazero (1541 posts) -

Great article.

Portal itself is an exercise in education. It perfectly applies being taught how to do something, being forced to apply it, and then being forced to apply it in a different context. It makes you feel like a freakin' genius because they help you to learn so well. The brilliant writing doesn't hurt either. Great game.
#53 Posted by Chango (528 posts) -

Fantastisc work, Klepek.

#54 Posted by VoshiNova (1699 posts) -

Really good article, good lord Klepek! Your killin' it! ^_^

#55 Posted by Chumm (242 posts) -

Interesting article. Kind of disappointing that it's an all-male school though, one gets the impression (whether correct or not) that the professor wouldn't have tried the experiment in a mixed class. 

Also Klepek you're putting out nice content but please run it through a copy editor, so many of your articles are written in Typotowne.
#56 Posted by NathHaw (2794 posts) -

Patrick has a nice writing style.  BTW, the only place I've ever been arrested was Crawfordsville, Indiana, so I pretty much know exactly where this college is.

#57 Posted by Klaimore (948 posts) -

That was a very interesting and amazing story thanks Patrick, keep 'em coming.

#58 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

Awesome article.  :)

#59 Posted by JoaoGri (10 posts) -

I really wanted to come across this kind of teacher!

Never got this lucky in my life!

#60 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Awesome.

By the way The Watchmen graphic novel is also part of the course (last image).
#61 Posted by DeF (4927 posts) -

I'd love to have my teachers put a game like Portal (or any game that goes a little deeper than The Sims) on a syllabus. When or if games get referenced, it's in a very hear-say manner ... talking about levels and calling them "computer games" (which is kind of specific in its reference to computers and exclusion of consoles/handhelds) like that's all there is. We once talked about Silent Hill 2 for a single lesson but that didn't go very far aside from watching one of us who never played the game stumble through the opening sequence and then describing what we saw.

Anyway, I'll gladly read more articles like this! Good job (except for all those typos^^)

#62 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1158 posts) -

Awesome article. I give it an A+! 

#63 Posted by ComradeCrash (566 posts) -

That was interesting. Great work!

#64 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Damn, Patrick, this is a great article.  I'm really glad that you're working for GB now.

#65 Posted by patrickklepek (5719 posts) -

The typos are, uh, a quest. Yes. That's right. (No, seriously, I apologize. It's an issue I have.)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. More of this to come!

#66 Posted by fisk0 (4306 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:
@litrock said:
I am kind of surprised so few people noticed Chell, though. The very first portal you go through, if you're observant, will give you a glimpse of yourself.
Thing is, many of the students probably weren't taking the game even remotely seriously when they got started, so they probably didn't notice her. Others were inexperienced with games (at least on the PC/Mac,) so they probably were busy fighting with the controls at that point.

Amazing that this class has already been taught. Hope it leads to other, similar ideas throughout the nation. Though I don't expect we'll see Mass Effect or Red Dead Redemption outside of drama fiction classes.
When I studied film theory a few years ago, a couple of lectures were about Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.
#67 Posted by TOMetroid (15 posts) -

Pretty damn awesome.

#68 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I gave a couple of lessons on gender socializing with Heavy Rain once, also letting non-gamers play. Always awesome and fascinating.

I have seen someone who had never really touched a gamepad play through the opening stages of Portal. That game is a masterpiece in fun and engaging narrative tutoring.

#69 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11933 posts) -
@patrickklepek: This article is one of the many reasons why the Giant Bomb news section has changed from mere recycling of other news articles from faster sites into actual "Investigative Journalism" since your arrival. Bravo sir.
#70 Edited by Icemael (6343 posts) -

This is laughable.

I mean, of course it is. Everyone has to take the course, it's called "Enduring Questions" and the syllabus contains shit like "Big Questions" with capital letters and "This is a course about what it means to be human, focused on some of the enduring questions our existence inevitably raises for us. The goals of this course reflect this focus." How could it not be hogwash?

But still.
#71 Posted by zepp (230 posts) -

an all dudes school? doesn't that defeat the purpose of college for your dudes :P?

#72 Posted by Mumrik (1080 posts) -
@Cirdain said:
@Mumrik said:
""These guys are mostly console players," he said. "They're just not PC gamers--for the most part. [...] It never occurred to me that it would be a problem. It was a problem. A bigger problem than I expected. "Interesting that it has gone so far in America. I don't think it's nearly that extreme over here (Europe).
I wish it was though
You wish nobody played PC games?
#73 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

I stopped at all-male college.

#75 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -

I had to smile at this. It's great to see more people being exposed to the narrative, almost provocative side of gaming and Giant Bomb doing more not necessarily industry-related stories like this.

#76 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Made me think of this video. There are some cool teachers out there.

#77 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

I actually did a presentation on Portal's narrative, etc. in one of my classes back in 2009. I used voice samples of glaDOS throughout the game to show how she changes from a simple announcer to something more sinister (Used the early Portal trailers to show how Valved deceived people into thinking that it's just a puzzle game) and touched on other interesting narrative aspects (embedded/hidden narratives etc).

90% of the people (Only one guy knew from what I know) didn't know anything about the game but were utterly fascinated by the whole thing.
#78 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

And here's me putting off work for degree finals playing ... Portal. Great article.

#79 Posted by brainpimp (4 posts) -

Great article, Patrick.  Especially cool for me to see since I'm a Wabash alum myself ... even had a film class with Professor Abbott back in the day.  Too bad he wasn't doing anything quite this cool back then.

Would be interesting to see him structure an entire class around narrative in video games.
#80 Posted by Sparklykiss (1983 posts) -

Cool stuff does happen in Indiana sometimes, nice. :D

#81 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@patrickklepek: Fucking A, Patrick! Killin' it! COMPLETELY!
#82 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2385 posts) -

I believe video games are very intellectual in some rights and this is high proof that a game can be used to learn, to educate, and  to experience the world and life in new ways.

#83 Posted by IamMattFox (27 posts) -

I like Steven Pinker. 

#84 Posted by selbie (1937 posts) -

Awesome lecturers are awesome

#85 Posted by teh_destroyer (3571 posts) -

Patrick seems like a sharp smart guy, starting to like him after the last Happy Hour.

#86 Posted by MisterMouse (3560 posts) -

hmm that would be pretty cool to take, or to break down a video game into its themes and ideas instead of just playing through it. Similar to reading a book for a class and breaking down those themes and ideas and noticing things you wouldn't normally notice.

#87 Posted by LiquidPrince (16032 posts) -

Classes like this always make learning stuff more fun. I had a comics class last semester. 

#88 Posted by Rekt_Hed (848 posts) -
@Tarsier said:
@Gregomasta said:

I stopped at all-male college.

i stopped at "I stopped at"
I'm not even angry.  Im being so sincere right now!
#89 Posted by Rekt_Hed (848 posts) -

Patrick Im so glad to have you as part of the Giant Bomb crew :) Since youve joined youve just been cranking out the content with style and quality.  This is a awesome piece of news :)

I salute you sir

#90 Posted by jesperskoog (4 posts) -

next semester, mortal kombat?

#91 Posted by Eyz (451 posts) -

Huh...pretty awesome!
Why didn't I have classes like that instead of all the boring Platon & co.

#92 Posted by Eyz (451 posts) -
@BronzDragon said:
@litrock: Portal is not Casablanca. I would rather compare it to an Pixar animated short. It's awesome, it's extremely well made and it's surprisingly deep.
But Casablanca is also awesome, extremely well made and surprisingly deep.
Therefore...
1 = 1!!
#93 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

Articles like this one is why i'm glad that Patrick is now part of this place. Keep it up!

I have been reading Mr. Abbott's blog, on and off. He's a man of quality.

#94 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Pretty cool. Also noticed how the semester goes over Bladerunner. This guy's fucking awesome. haha

#95 Posted by Cirdain (3102 posts) -
@Mumrik said:
@Cirdain said:
@Mumrik said:
""These guys are mostly console players," he said. "They're just not PC gamers--for the most part. [...] It never occurred to me that it would be a problem. It was a problem. A bigger problem than I expected. "Interesting that it has gone so far in America. I don't think it's nearly that extreme over here (Europe).
I wish it was though
You wish nobody played PC games?
No I wish that the amount of people that played it and was hyped was extreme... PC is amazing  :)
#96 Posted by darkjester74 (1590 posts) -

Man, the quality of stories since Patrick joined has just gone through the roof.  Well done!!

#97 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

She is not a looker...

#98 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -

Thinking outside the cube this time!

#99 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

god damn klepek is knockin this shit out like no one's business

#100 Posted by TopCat88 (177 posts) -

This is good to see. If a game is relevant to a course...use it :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.