Is Portal a horror series?

  • 118 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#51 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:
" "@Kjellm87 said:

" Is Zelda a horror game?
"

Majora's Mask? Yes. Yes it is.

Why would you think it isn't? Because it's part of a series that generally isn't considered to be?

From Wikipedia: 
"Plots written within the horror genre often involve the intrusion of an evil force, event, or personage, commonly of supernatural origin, into the everyday world. Themes or elements often prevalent in typical horror films include ghosts, torture, gore, werewolves, ancient curses, satanism, demons, vicious animals, vampires, cannibals, haunted houses, zombies and masked serial killers. Conversely, stories of the supernatural are not necessarily always a horror movie as well."

also

" Horror films deal with the viewer's nightmares, hidden worst fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Although a good deal of it is about the supernatural, if some films contain a plot about morbidity, serial killers, a disease/ virus outbreak and surrealism, they may be termed "horror." Maybe Horror doesn't mean what you think it does, and maybe both Portal and Majora's Mask aren't the games you think they are. "
Majora's is set in a weird world, it's not horror. There is no blood, psychological violence or things that are meant to scare you. Same  goes for Portal 2, at no point do the devs try to harass you with something shocking, there are no ghosts or torture or worst fears (these fears are only used in the context of humor), Portal 2 is supposed to be quirky and clever not terrifying. What you are defining as horror is the fact that the setting is weird, which does not make a game a horror game
#52 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @JazGalaxy said:
" People seem to be suggesting that portal can't be horror because it's funny. that's ridiculous, since many horror films such as Army Of Darkness are known as some of the best comedies of all time.To people suggesting it can't be horror because it's not scary, that's completely subjective. I don't find nearly any horror film to be scary. To those saying it can't be horror because it's not gory or violent, the only horror films I DO find scary aren't gory or violent.As was mentioned before, SHODAN and GlaDOS are actually very similar. Only, GlaDOS makes jokes while torturing you.The point of the original post is that Valve has created a nightmare scenario, that of a  hellish prison of being forced to repeat the same tasks over and over again until you slowly drift into insanity and despair (as the people who came before Chell and wrote on the written have done), and cleaned it up to make it appear holy. Thus is, really, the entire joke of portal.Instead of making the whole thing dark like Doom 3, they made it bright white. Instead of making the tormentor have a deep male voice, they made it have a sing-song female voice. Instead of making it directly curse and torment you, it curses and torments you with backwards compliments and false encouragement.I think it's important to remember that Chell clearly doesn't find any of this funny, and if she were given a voice, she would likely spend 90% of the game screaming and crying. Also, just because the game sanitizes it's death situations, that doesn't mean that Chell isn't frequently riddled with bullets, burned with lasers, drowned, scalded, crushed, or impaled.The cake is a lie.The shiny facade of Portal is a lie.So what is it really? "
At no point in Portal or Portal 2 is GLaDOS torturing you.Also why do you suppose that Chell doesn't find the jokes funny? "
O_o

Portal. The game by Valve? They just released a sequel. You should check it out.

GlaDOS is torturing Chell for the entire running time of Portal 1 which prompts Chell to (Spoiler) KILL GlaDOS for which GlaDOS is furious in Portal 2. The whole point of the first half of Portal 2 is that GlaDOS is torturing Chell and audibly laments that she can only do it for 16 more years at which point she intends to find a way to revive Chell and torture her some more.
#53 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:
" @JazGalaxy said:
" "@Kjellm87 said:

" Is Zelda a horror game?
"

Majora's Mask? Yes. Yes it is.

Why would you think it isn't? Because it's part of a series that generally isn't considered to be?

From Wikipedia: 
"Plots written within the horror genre often involve the intrusion of an evil force, event, or personage, commonly of supernatural origin, into the everyday world. Themes or elements often prevalent in typical horror films include ghosts, torture, gore, werewolves, ancient curses, satanism, demons, vicious animals, vampires, cannibals, haunted houses, zombies and masked serial killers. Conversely, stories of the supernatural are not necessarily always a horror movie as well."

also

" Horror films deal with the viewer's nightmares, hidden worst fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Although a good deal of it is about the supernatural, if some films contain a plot about morbidity, serial killers, a disease/ virus outbreak and surrealism, they may be termed "horror." Maybe Horror doesn't mean what you think it does, and maybe both Portal and Majora's Mask aren't the games you think they are. "
Majora's is set in a weird world, it's not horror. There is no blood, psychological violence or things that are meant to scare you. Same  goes for Portal 2, at no point do the devs try to harass you with something shocking, there are no ghosts or torture or worst fears (these fears are only used in the context of humor), Portal 2 is supposed to be quirky and clever not terrifying. What you are defining as horror is the fact that the setting is weird, which does not make a game a horror game "
I am absolutely blown away by what people are saying in this thread.

It's like people are completely missing the idea that GlaDOS is torturing Chell for the entire game. Her forcing Chell to go through an endless series of tests is very much her way of psychologically killing Chell. Until the point where she (spoiler) outright attempts to murder her.

At no point in time do the devs try to present something shocking to the viewer? How about the previous test subjects, who have been murdered by Glados and scrawl hopeless messages on the wall about how the "Cake is a lie" and lamenting the deaths of their companion cubes after having been driven to insanity by the tests?

Portal 1 is all abotu how Aperture Science is empty because GlaDOS murdered everybody by gassing them, and now she acts out her programming by sleecting test subjects to systematically drive insane and then murder. Endlessly. For all eternity.

How is that quirky and not horror?
#54 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:

"O_oPortal. The game by Valve? They just released a sequel. You should check it out.GlaDOS is torturing Chell for the entire running time of Portal 1 which prompts Chell to (Spoiler) KILL GlaDOS for which GlaDOS is furious in Portal 2. The whole point of the first half of Portal 2 is that GlaDOS is torturing Chell and audibly laments that she can only do it for 16 more years at which point she intends to find a way to revive Chell and torture her some more. "

...did you even play the game?

The first Portal had no GLaDOS torturing you at any point. You don't even know if Chell is in the facility against her will (at the beginning of the game).

The 6th, literally sixth sentence to come out of GLaDOS' "mouth" in Portal 2 is "I think we can put our differences behind us."

Seriously, maybe you had a different language setting in the game and failed to use a dictionary properly, because I have no idea how you assumed all these things you said.
#55 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @JazGalaxy said:

"O_oPortal. The game by Valve? They just released a sequel. You should check it out.GlaDOS is torturing Chell for the entire running time of Portal 1 which prompts Chell to (Spoiler) KILL GlaDOS for which GlaDOS is furious in Portal 2. The whole point of the first half of Portal 2 is that GlaDOS is torturing Chell and audibly laments that she can only do it for 16 more years at which point she intends to find a way to revive Chell and torture her some more. "

...did you even play the game?

The first Portal had no GLaDOS torturing you at any point. You don't even know if Chell is in the facility against her will (at the beginning of the game).

The 6th, literally sixth sentence to come out of GLaDOS' "mouth" in Portal 2 is "I think we can put our differences behind us."Seriously, maybe you had a different language setting in the game and failed to use a dictionary properly, because I have no idea how you assumed all these things you said. "
are you joking?

I mean, seriously, are you joking? Because I honestly think you missed the entire point of the game. Don't take my word for it, please talk to some other people about Portal because I seriously think it's not in any way the game you think it is.

I am seriously baffled.
#56 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@JazGalaxy: I find it funny how you think that testing=torturing (lol).
#57 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @JazGalaxy: I find it funny how you think that testing=torturing (lol). "
... when the tests lead Chell against her will through turrets shooting live fire at her, acid pools, flames, lava, lasers, pistons, and any number of other indirect hazards like radiation and gasses with a complete and stated disregard for her safety and well-being just for the fun of the person creating the tests...

Yes. Isn't that basically the definition of torture?
#58 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @JazGalaxy: I find it funny how you think that testing=torturing (lol). "
Being forced to do something you don't want to do is torture. There is no other way to it. Trust me, you are making yourself seem like an idiot. JazGalaxy is pretty spot on with this. You just need to see past the lack of blood or demons.
#59 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@AlexW00d: 
@JazGalaxy said:

" @imsh_pl said:

" @JazGalaxy: I find it funny how you think that testing=torturing (lol). "
... when the tests lead Chell against her will...
I have a question for you. Or two to be exact.

Why did you assume that Chell was in the facility against her will? You are not forced to do anything in the game. You assume the role of Chell, wake up in a science facility, and hear a robotic voice asking you to go through some tests. It is only your decision to proceed. (talking about the 1st Portal here).

Was it at any point said that Chell was a prisoner at the facility? If you played Portal 2 (which I'm starting to doubt more and more) you'd know that it is voluntary to become a test subject at Aperture Science. It has not been said if there were any prisoners at the facility at any point in the game.
#60 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @JazGalaxy said:
" @imsh_pl said:
" @JazGalaxy: I find it funny how you think that testing=torturing (lol). "
... when the tests lead Chell against her will...
I have a question for you. Or two to be exact.Why did you assume that Chell was in the facility against her will? You are not forced to do anything in the game. You assume the role of Chell, wake up in a science facility, and hear a robotic voice asking you to go through some tests. It is only your decision to proceed. (talking about the 1st Portal here).Was it at any point said that Chell was a prisoner at the facility? If you played Portal 2 (which I'm starting to doubt more and more) you'd know that it is voluntary to become a test subject at Aperture Science. It has not been said if there were any prisoners at the facility at any point in the game. "
Dude you've answered your own question here. It is your only option. You don't have the option to leave, therefore you are a prisoner.
#61 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:
"Dude you've answered your own question here. It is your only option. You don't have the option to leave, therefore you are a prisoner. "
But you don't know if you were in the facility against your own will in the first place. If you decide to go to Iraq, once you're there you can't leave (or not for some time at least). Does that make you a prisoner?
#62 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @AlexW00d said:
"Dude you've answered your own question here. It is your only option. You don't have the option to leave, therefore you are a prisoner. "
But you don't know if you were in the facility against your own will in the first place. If you decide to go to Iraq, once you're there you can't leave (or not for some time at least). Does that make you a prisoner? "
By definition of the word, yes. Yes it does.
Although you can leave, say if you are injured. At least you can in the British Army.
#63 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

" @imsh_pl said:

" @AlexW00d said:

"Dude you've answered your own question here. It is your only option. You don't have the option to leave, therefore you are a prisoner. "
But you don't know if you were in the facility against your own will in the first place. If you decide to go to Iraq, once you're there you can't leave (or not for some time at least). Does that make you a prisoner? "
By definition of the word, yes. Yes it does. Although you can leave, say if you are injured. At least you can in the British Army.
"
From Wikipedia:
" A prisoner is anyone who is deprived of liberty against their will."

Again, why do you assume that you're at the facility against your will? Sure, you don't have the option to quit once you're in there, but what if you had entered the facility voluntarily and fully aware of the consequences (which - judging by the "60$" propaganda, seems far more likely)?

Why does everyone assume that Chell is not a voluntary test subject?

#64 Edited by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -
@imsh_pl: GladOs was way after the Cave stuff.
Just because you go there of your own will doesn't mean you still can't be a prisoner. It is clear Chell is a prisoner, hence why GladOs rewards her with her freedom. If she had freedom before then. she wouldn't have rewarded her with it.
#65 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I haven't completed Portal 2, but you seem to have, so I'm going to speak freely without fear of spoilers. (please don't spoil anything for me as I'm on Chapter 7 of Portal 2.)

GlaDOS in Portal 1, murdered the staff of Aperture Science with nerve gas. that's the nerve gas she tries to murder you with in Portal 2, but fails since you disabled it. If Chell had been a duely hired employee of Aperture Science, she would have been killed as well. What seems to occur, is that GlaDOS thaws out new test subjects as she needs them to "test" (read: torture.) She tortures Chell through ever more dangerous courses in Portal 1, until she gets bored with her and ultimately tries to drop her into a fiery pit to dispose of her. Chell manages to get to escape to the surface at which point she is dragged back into the Aperture Laboratory.

Many times in Portal 2 Chell attempts to escape to the surface, only to be dragged back down by GlaDOS, Whitley, or the broken elevators of the older Aperture facilities. It's not a coincindence that every lab ends with a broken elevator and a sign reading "to surface".

As for how Chell to Aperture, GlaDOS seems to be suggesting, time and time again, that Chell was left at Aperture as a baby. If she had any knowledge of her past, then the GlaDOS torturous comments about her birth mother not loving her, abandoning her, and the trick of having them want to meet her would make no sense.

#66 Posted by Daveyo520 (6752 posts) -
@JazGalaxy: No the only one who missed the point of the game is you.
#67 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

" @imsh_pl: GladOs was way after the Cave stuff. Just because you go there of your own will doesn't mean you still can't be a prisoner. It is clear Chell is a prisoner, hence why GladOs rewards her with her freedom. If she had freedom before then. she wouldn't have rewarded her with it. "

The fact that you're held somewhere without the ability to quit/exit doesn't mean that you're a prisoner.

Picture this scenario: Chell decided to become a test subject at the Aperture Science facility. She was fully aware of the fact that once the experiments begin, there's no quitting until they are done.

I'm sorry, but unless you can prove to me that Chell was held  as a test subject against her will I shall stick to my version.
#68 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
" @JazGalaxy: No the only one who missed the point of the game is you. "
And apparently AlexWood above me. And Wikipedia. And the developers...
#69 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -

It is kind of like Cube.

#70 Posted by Daveyo520 (6752 posts) -
@JazGalaxy: No, the devs made a funny puzzle game. Just dark humor. 

@imsh_pl: 
Chell did not volunteer to be a subject, she got trapped there as a kid during bring your daughter to work day.

No that does not make it horror, just a funny way of her being there.

#71 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @AlexW00d said:

" @imsh_pl: GladOs was way after the Cave stuff. Just because you go there of your own will doesn't mean you still can't be a prisoner. It is clear Chell is a prisoner, hence why GladOs rewards her with her freedom. If she had freedom before then. she wouldn't have rewarded her with it. "

The fact that you're held somewhere without the ability to quit/exit doesn't mean that you're a prisoner.Picture this scenario: Chell decided to become a test subject at the Aperture Science facility. She was fully aware of the fact that once the experiments begin, there's no quitting until they are done.I'm sorry, but unless you can prove to me that Chell was held  as a test subject against her will I shall stick to my version. "
Even if she did volunteer, that doesn't counter the overt fact that GlaDOS attempts to murder her midway through Portal 1. The original point we were discussing is if it's classification as horror. Even if you refuse to accept the testing as torture, it doesn't eliminate the fact that GlaDOS spends the back half of Portal 1 trying to MURDER Chell.
#72 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:

" If Chell had been a duely hired employee of Aperture Science, she would have been killed as well.


Why do you assume that?

What seems to occur, is that GlaDOS thaws out new test subjects as she needs them to "test" (read: torture.)


Why do you read "test" as "torture"?

As for how Chell to Aperture, GlaDOS seems to be suggesting, time and time again, that Chell was left at Aperture as a baby. If she had any knowledge of her past, then the GlaDOS torturous comments about her birth mother not loving her, abandoning her, and the trick of having them want to meet her would make no sense. "

Did you seriously think that GLaDOS saying "your mother didn't love you!" was torture?
#73 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5257 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:
" @imsh_pl said:
" @AlexW00d said:

" @imsh_pl: GladOs was way after the Cave stuff. Just because you go there of your own will doesn't mean you still can't be a prisoner. It is clear Chell is a prisoner, hence why GladOs rewards her with her freedom. If she had freedom before then. she wouldn't have rewarded her with it. "

The fact that you're held somewhere without the ability to quit/exit doesn't mean that you're a prisoner.Picture this scenario: Chell decided to become a test subject at the Aperture Science facility. She was fully aware of the fact that once the experiments begin, there's no quitting until they are done.I'm sorry, but unless you can prove to me that Chell was held  as a test subject against her will I shall stick to my version. "
Even if she did volunteer, that doesn't counter the overt fact that GlaDOS attempts to murder her midway through Portal 1. The original point we were discussing is if it's classification as horror. Even if you refuse to accept the testing as torture, it doesn't eliminate the fact that GlaDOS spends the back half of Portal 1 trying to MURDER Chell. "
Doc Ock tried to kill Spider-Man in Spider-Man 2.  Therefore the Spider-Man films are horror.
#74 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Portal is creepy, it's not horror

#75 Edited by Daveyo520 (6752 posts) -
@JazGalaxy: Murder can be funny! You need to get that! Just because the situation may be dark does not make it horror, christ! There are tons of comedys that have dark and messed up settings. Look at the movie Brazil, that world is messed up but it is still a comedy and not a horror movie.

@imsh_pl: Again, she is there against her will after being trapped there as a kid, but also again that doesn't matter. She survived the gassing,  along with some employees like the Ratman.
#76 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @JazGalaxy said:

" If Chell had been a duely hired employee of Aperture Science, she would have been killed as well.


Why do you assume that?

What seems to occur, is that GlaDOS thaws out new test subjects as she needs them to "test" (read: torture.)


Why do you read "test" as "torture"?

As for how Chell to Aperture, GlaDOS seems to be suggesting, time and time again, that Chell was left at Aperture as a baby. If she had any knowledge of her past, then the GlaDOS torturous comments about her birth mother not loving her, abandoning her, and the trick of having them want to meet her would make no sense. "

Did you seriously think that GLaDOS saying "your mother didn't love you!" was torture? "
It's practically the definition of psychological torture.

Pick up this block. Oh I just destoryed it. Now it's okay. Whoops destoryed that one too. Hey, I found your parents. Hey, you're going to meet them. Whoops, just lied about that. They don't love you. You get cake if you complete these tests. Whoops, I meant you get dropped in fire!
#77 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:

" @imsh_pl said:

" @AlexW00d said:

" @imsh_pl: GladOs was way after the Cave stuff. Just because you go there of your own will doesn't mean you still can't be a prisoner. It is clear Chell is a prisoner, hence why GladOs rewards her with her freedom. If she had freedom before then. she wouldn't have rewarded her with it. "

The fact that you're held somewhere without the ability to quit/exit doesn't mean that you're a prisoner.Picture this scenario: Chell decided to become a test subject at the Aperture Science facility. She was fully aware of the fact that once the experiments begin, there's no quitting until they are done.I'm sorry, but unless you can prove to me that Chell was held  as a test subject against her will I shall stick to my version. "
Even if she did volunteer, that doesn't counter the overt fact that GlaDOS attempts to murder her midway through Portal 1. The original point we were discussing is if it's classification as horror. Even if you refuse to accept the testing as torture, it doesn't eliminate the fact that GlaDOS spends the back half of Portal 1 trying to MURDER Chell. "
Are you saying that the antagonist trying to kill the protagonist makes the game a horror game?

Congratulations, you've just proved 99,9999% of video games to be horror games.

@JazGalaxy said:
"It's practically the definition of psychological torture.Pick up this block. Oh I just destoryed it. Now it's okay. Whoops destoryed that one too. Hey, I found your parents. Hey, you're going to meet them. Whoops, just lied about that. They don't love you. You get cake if you complete these tests. Whoops, I meant you get dropped in fire! "

I actually find that to be an extremely poor attempt at teasing.

And she doesn't do it for her sick pleasure, she does it in order to keep you going. She thinks that if she tells you about a cake you'll be more motivated to finish the tests, but she fails to realize that you can just not believe her. GLaDOS' desperate attempts to keep you going and her hopes that you'll believe her "this one time" are the main part of the game's humor.

Seriously, I think you should replay the game(s).

@Daveyo520 said:

@imsh_pl: Again, she is there against her will after being trapped there as a kid, but also again that doesn't matter.
"

Wow, I didn't quite catch that one. But I see how it makes sense.
#78 Edited by Daveyo520 (6752 posts) -
@JazGalaxy: It is not torture you ass, it is a joke. It is bad name calling bullys would do. Ribbing. Calling someone names is not torture. Getting deep and messing with peoples minds is. Chell does not care about Glados's stupid jokes. Maybe some people would get affected by name calling all the time, but you can not take what Glados says seriously at all. At no point would you ever talk Glados seriously about her showing you your parents or any promises. 
#79 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -

Sorry, I haven't read all 4 pages of posts but I did read the original post and can see where the comparisons are coming from. But I don't agree, I don't see Portal or Portal as horror, it's just a collection of clever puzzles put together with an amusing story line and some funny jokes (at least in Portal 2). Interesting post though, it has certainly inspired a lot a debate.

#80 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -
@imsh_pl: She wasn't a volunteer, she was trapped there after Chell was brought in by her father/mother during a bring your daughter to work day, as is hinted at in Portal 2. She was then trapped and kept against her will by the corrupt AIcore, GladOs.

There you go, do you need any more proof?
#81 Posted by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

While it certainly shares many themes with the horror genre, I don't think it fully fits into the genre. For me, the defining quality of a horror game or film is the attempt to scare or disgust the audience. I know fear is subjective, and not everyone will be scared by every horror movie, but the aim of a horror film or game is to elicit those emotions. Portal isn't attempting to do that. It is very dark humour and as such shares a lot of themes with a horror but the primary element of fear, or at least the attempt to scare is not present.

Moderator
#82 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @JazGalaxy said:

" @imsh_pl said:

" @AlexW00d said:

" @imsh_pl: GladOs was way after the Cave stuff. Just because you go there of your own will doesn't mean you still can't be a prisoner. It is clear Chell is a prisoner, hence why GladOs rewards her with her freedom. If she had freedom before then. she wouldn't have rewarded her with it. "

The fact that you're held somewhere without the ability to quit/exit doesn't mean that you're a prisoner.Picture this scenario: Chell decided to become a test subject at the Aperture Science facility. She was fully aware of the fact that once the experiments begin, there's no quitting until they are done.I'm sorry, but unless you can prove to me that Chell was held  as a test subject against her will I shall stick to my version. "
Even if she did volunteer, that doesn't counter the overt fact that GlaDOS attempts to murder her midway through Portal 1. The original point we were discussing is if it's classification as horror. Even if you refuse to accept the testing as torture, it doesn't eliminate the fact that GlaDOS spends the back half of Portal 1 trying to MURDER Chell. "
Are you saying that the antagonist trying to kill the protagonist makes the game a horror game?Congratulations, you've just proved 99,9999% of video games to be horror games. "
Well, I'm done arguing with you since I think you're just arguing to argue. Your interpretation of the game discounts almost every single storytelling feature Valve implemented to get you NOT to think what you're suggesting.
#83 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

  @AlexW00d said:

" @imsh_pl: She wasn't a volunteer, she was trapped there after Chell was brought in by her father/mother during a bring your daughter to work day, as is hinted at in Portal 2. She was then trapped and kept against her will by the corrupt AIcore, GladOs.

There you go, do you need any more proof?
"

I now see that Chell didn't really have a choice when it comes to staying at the facility, however I still don't believe that it was torture.

@JazGalaxy

said:

" Well, I'm done arguing with you since I think you're just arguing to argue. Your interpretation of the game discounts almost every single storytelling feature Valve implemented to get you NOT to think what you're suggesting. "

Yet you somehow still haven't managed to prove to anyone but maybe one person that the Portal franchise is a horror franchise.
#84 Edited by Daveyo520 (6752 posts) -
@JazGalaxy: He is arguing because you still think it is horror and are misinterpreting what Valve made and what you think they are implementing. Like every single person has said it is just a dark comedy and you need to understand that.
#85 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I was never arguing that Portal was Horror, I was asking what people though to Portal being classified as Horror since it has many of the same classifications and, if it wasn't funny, most likely would be.

Then people started responding with ridiculous comments like "how can it be horror, it's funny" and "ti doesn't scare me so it can't be horror", that completely miss the point of the discussion. (And any understanding on genre of horror)

THEN this imsh_pl charachter appeared who seems to have played, yet completely misunderstood the game and the whole thing got sidetracked.

He seems to think 1) Chell is a volunteer at aperture 2) Chell and GlaDOS don't have an antagonistic relationship and 3) GlaDOS has put Chell killing her behind her for the sake of testing in Portal 2.

That's just wrong. Some things just aren't open for interpretation.

#86 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5257 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:
" I was never arguing that Portal was Horror, I was asking what people though to Portal being classified as Horror since it has many of the same classifications and, if it wasn't funny, most likely would be.
"
So if a large portion of what makes the game was removed it'd be in a different genre?  Thats a given  God Of War 3 would be a mediocre/bad puzzle game if all the action was taken out.

@JazGalaxy said:

" Then people started responding with ridiculous comments like "how can it be horror, it's funny" and "ti doesn't scare me so it can't be horror", that completely miss the point of the discussion. (And any understanding on genre of horror)\"


Horror fiction
 is a genre of literature, which is intended to, or has the capacity to frighten its readers, inducing feelings of horror and terror. Horror can be either supernatural or non-supernatural.

  Black humour (from the French humour noir) is a term coined by Surrealist theoretician André Breton in 1935, to designate the sub-genre of comedy and satire in which laughter arises from cynicism and skepticism. Black humour is often a satire on the topic of death.  

Portal is more of a Dark comedy.
#87 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
"
@JazGalaxy said:
" I was never arguing that Portal was Horror, I was asking what people though to Portal being classified as Horror since it has many of the same classifications and, if it wasn't funny, most likely would be.
"
So if a large portion of what makes the game was removed it'd be in a different genre?  Thats a given  God Of War 3 would be a mediocre/bad puzzle game if all the action was taken out.

@JazGalaxy said:

" Then people started responding with ridiculous comments like "how can it be horror, it's funny" and "ti doesn't scare me so it can't be horror", that completely miss the point of the discussion. (And any understanding on genre of horror)\"


Horror fiction
 is a genre of literature, which is intended to, or has the capacity to frighten its readers, inducing feelings of horror and terror. Horror can be either supernatural or non-supernatural.

  Black humour (from the French humour noir) is a term coined by Surrealist theoretician André Breton in 1935, to designate the sub-genre of comedy and satire in which laughter arises from cynicism and skepticism. Black humour is often a satire on the topic of death.  

Portal is more of a Dark comedy.
"
You're confusing two subjects, I would argue.

You ask if a large portion of what makes the game what it is were to be removed, would it change the classification. I would say that the humor in Portal 2 has absolutely no impact on the actual story of the game itself. As I mentioned before, I don't think Chelle or any of the other test subjects in the game find the game world to be funny at all. But, because the only character who speaks is GlaDOS in Portal 1, you are only given the humorous point of view of the psychotic mass murderer. There were many Tales From The Crypt episodes that were funny. They were still Horror stories on a horror show.

I absolutely agree that the humor employed by GlaDOS and aperture is black. But do all of her actions as a psychotic, torturous, murderer become overshadowed by the fact that she makes jokes while she's doing it? sarcastic, jokes, mind you, that aren't really jokes so much as they are really curses and threats put nicely.
#88 Posted by Cupids_Hitman (164 posts) -
@eskimo: What's Dead Space then? Genres CAN cross. You CAN have a science fiction horror story.
#89 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:
" @imsh_pl said:
" @JazGalaxy said:
" People seem to be suggesting that portal can't be horror because it's funny. that's ridiculous, since many horror films such as Army Of Darkness are known as some of the best comedies of all time.To people suggesting it can't be horror because it's not scary, that's completely subjective. I don't find nearly any horror film to be scary. To those saying it can't be horror because it's not gory or violent, the only horror films I DO find scary aren't gory or violent.As was mentioned before, SHODAN and GlaDOS are actually very similar. Only, GlaDOS makes jokes while torturing you.The point of the original post is that Valve has created a nightmare scenario, that of a  hellish prison of being forced to repeat the same tasks over and over again until you slowly drift into insanity and despair (as the people who came before Chell and wrote on the written have done), and cleaned it up to make it appear holy. Thus is, really, the entire joke of portal.Instead of making the whole thing dark like Doom 3, they made it bright white. Instead of making the tormentor have a deep male voice, they made it have a sing-song female voice. Instead of making it directly curse and torment you, it curses and torments you with backwards compliments and false encouragement.I think it's important to remember that Chell clearly doesn't find any of this funny, and if she were given a voice, she would likely spend 90% of the game screaming and crying. Also, just because the game sanitizes it's death situations, that doesn't mean that Chell isn't frequently riddled with bullets, burned with lasers, drowned, scalded, crushed, or impaled.The cake is a lie.The shiny facade of Portal is a lie.So what is it really? "
At no point in Portal or Portal 2 is GLaDOS torturing you.Also why do you suppose that Chell doesn't find the jokes funny? "
 audibly laments that she can only do it for 16 more years 
I thought she said 60? 
#90 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:
"THEN this imsh_pl charachter appeared who seems to have played, yet completely misunderstood the game and the whole thing got sidetracked.He seems to think 1) Chell is a volunteer at aperture 2) Chell and GlaDOS don't have an antagonistic relationship and 3) GlaDOS has put Chell killing her behind her for the sake of testing in Portal 2.That's just wrong. Some things just aren't open for interpretation. "

2)I've never, ever, ever said that I think Chell and GLaDOS don't have an antagonistic relationship and
3)I've never, ever, ever said that I think GLaDOS has put Chell killing her behind for the sake of testing in Portal 2.

As for 1: I said that it was a possibilty that Chell joined aperture volutarily until you learn otherwise in Portal 2. But solely from the first game's perspective there is no evidence that she was a test subject against her will (and on the claim that she was you based your opinion that Portal is a horror game).

Seriously, some people should learn how to read properly.

You also created a post whose entire purpose was to mock me and try to make me look stupid. Congratulations.
#91 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5257 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:
" @SethPhotopoulos said:
"
@JazGalaxy said:
" I was never arguing that Portal was Horror, I was asking what people though to Portal being classified as Horror since it has many of the same classifications and, if it wasn't funny, most likely would be.
"
So if a large portion of what makes the game was removed it'd be in a different genre?  Thats a given  God Of War 3 would be a mediocre/bad puzzle game if all the action was taken out.

@JazGalaxy said:

" Then people started responding with ridiculous comments like "how can it be horror, it's funny" and "ti doesn't scare me so it can't be horror", that completely miss the point of the discussion. (And any understanding on genre of horror)\"


Horror fiction
 is a genre of literature, which is intended to, or has the capacity to frighten its readers, inducing feelings of horror and terror. Horror can be either supernatural or non-supernatural.

  Black humour (from the French humour noir) is a term coined by Surrealist theoretician André Breton in 1935, to designate the sub-genre of comedy and satire in which laughter arises from cynicism and skepticism. Black humour is often a satire on the topic of death.  

Portal is more of a Dark comedy.
"
You're confusing two subjects, I would argue.You ask if a large portion of what makes the game what it is were to be removed, would it change the classification. I would say that the humor in Portal 2 has absolutely no impact on the actual story of the game itself. As I mentioned before, I don't think Chelle or any of the other test subjects in the game find the game world to be funny at all. But, because the only character who speaks is GlaDOS in Portal 1, you are only given the humorous point of view of the psychotic mass murderer. There were many Tales From The Crypt episodes that were funny. They were still Horror stories on a horror show.I absolutely agree that the humor employed by GlaDOS and aperture is black. But do all of her actions as a psychotic, torturous, murderer become overshadowed by the fact that she makes jokes while she's doing it? sarcastic, jokes, mind you, that aren't really jokes so much as they are really curses and threats put nicely. "
By the definition of horror it is something that is meant to scare you.  When most of the game is written in such a for you to laugh instead of cringe its very hard to see it as a straight horror.  I wouldn't want to be in Chelle's shoes but i also wouldn't want to be in the shoes of Brad Cooper in the Hangover when they have to search for what happened to their friend.  Johnny the Homicidal Maniac is a black comedy about a homicidal, tortuous, psychotic killer.  Just because there may be horror elements it doesn't make it horror.  If you wanted to make the case that its a horror comedy maybe I could see that but not a straight up horror.  

And in regards to what you said about Tales of the Crypt it was an anthology show.  Not everything shown on there was horror just because it was shown on a horror show.  Those funny episodes were black comedies, some of them horror comedies but you can't say they were horror.

#92 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @JazGalaxy said:
"THEN this imsh_pl charachter appeared who seems to have played, yet completely misunderstood the game and the whole thing got sidetracked.He seems to think 1) Chell is a volunteer at aperture 2) Chell and GlaDOS don't have an antagonistic relationship and 3) GlaDOS has put Chell killing her behind her for the sake of testing in Portal 2.That's just wrong. Some things just aren't open for interpretation. "

2)I've never, ever, ever said that I think Chell and GLaDOS don't have an antagonistic relationship and
3)I've never, ever, ever said that I think GLaDOS has put Chell killing her behind for the sake of testing in Portal 2.

As for 1: I said that it was a possibilty that Chell joined aperture volutarily until you learn otherwise in Portal 2. But solely from the first game's perspective there is no evidence that she was a test subject against her will (and on the claim that she was you based your opinion that Portal is a horror game).Seriously, some people should learn how to read properly.You also created a post whose entire purpose was to mock me and try to make me look stupid. Congratulations. "
You never saiad GlaDOS has put Chell killing her behind her for the sake of testing? You said "the 6th thing GlaDOS says in Portal 2 is 'I think we can put this behind us'" earlier in this thread. I'm not trying to tell lies about you, you're really putting this stuff.

It was not my intention to mock you or make you look stupid, and if I did then I'm sorry. But I strongly believe, and believe facts support, that your interpretation of the events of Portal aren't really what the game is about.
#93 Posted by xyzygy (9988 posts) -

No but it's a horribly over-rated series. OK, just the second game.

#94 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:

" @imsh_pl said:

" @JazGalaxy said:

"THEN this imsh_pl charachter appeared who seems to have played, yet completely misunderstood the game and the whole thing got sidetracked.He seems to think 1) Chell is a volunteer at aperture 2) Chell and GlaDOS don't have an antagonistic relationship and 3) GlaDOS has put Chell killing her behind her for the sake of testing in Portal 2.That's just wrong. Some things just aren't open for interpretation. "


2)I've never, ever, ever said that I think Chell and GLaDOS don't have an antagonistic relationship and
3)I've never, ever, ever said that I think GLaDOS has put Chell killing her behind for the sake of testing in Portal 2.

As for 1: I said that it was a possibilty that Chell joined aperture volutarily until you learn otherwise in Portal 2. But solely from the first game's perspective there is no evidence that she was a test subject against her will (and on the claim that she was you based your opinion that Portal is a horror game).Seriously, some people should learn how to read properly.You also created a post whose entire purpose was to mock me and try to make me look stupid. Congratulations. "
You never saiad GlaDOS has put Chell killing her behind her for the sake of testing? You said "the 6th thing GlaDOS says in Portal 2 is 'I think we can put this behind us'" earlier in this thread. I'm not trying to tell lies about you, you're really putting this stuff.It was not my intention to mock you or make you look stupid, and if I did then I'm sorry. But I strongly believe, and believe facts support, that your interpretation of the events of Portal aren't really what the game is about. "
What I said

  The 6th, literally sixth sentence to come out of GLaDOS' "mouth" in Portal 2 is "I think we can put our differences behind us."

Did I say I believe this?

Don't get me wrong. I understand that it may seem stupid that I used the quote, but I just wanted to show you how in my opinion more things pointed out to the fact that she could've been there voluntarily rather than that she was held hostage.
#95 Posted by kaos_cracker (588 posts) -

umm, do you know what are the requirements to be in a horror genre? this falls under puzzle. come on now silly

Online
#96 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@kaos_cracker said:
" umm, do you know what are the requirements to be in a horror genre? this falls under puzzle. come on now silly "
There can't be horror puzzle games?

Puzzle defines the gameplay. Horror would, if one chooses to see it that way, define the subject matter.
#97 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @JazGalaxy said:

" @imsh_pl said:

" @JazGalaxy said:

"THEN this imsh_pl charachter appeared who seems to have played, yet completely misunderstood the game and the whole thing got sidetracked.He seems to think 1) Chell is a volunteer at aperture 2) Chell and GlaDOS don't have an antagonistic relationship and 3) GlaDOS has put Chell killing her behind her for the sake of testing in Portal 2.That's just wrong. Some things just aren't open for interpretation. "


2)I've never, ever, ever said that I think Chell and GLaDOS don't have an antagonistic relationship and
3)I've never, ever, ever said that I think GLaDOS has put Chell killing her behind for the sake of testing in Portal 2.

As for 1: I said that it was a possibilty that Chell joined aperture volutarily until you learn otherwise in Portal 2. But solely from the first game's perspective there is no evidence that she was a test subject against her will (and on the claim that she was you based your opinion that Portal is a horror game).Seriously, some people should learn how to read properly.You also created a post whose entire purpose was to mock me and try to make me look stupid. Congratulations. "
You never saiad GlaDOS has put Chell killing her behind her for the sake of testing? You said "the 6th thing GlaDOS says in Portal 2 is 'I think we can put this behind us'" earlier in this thread. I'm not trying to tell lies about you, you're really putting this stuff.It was not my intention to mock you or make you look stupid, and if I did then I'm sorry. But I strongly believe, and believe facts support, that your interpretation of the events of Portal aren't really what the game is about. "
What I said

  The 6th, literally sixth sentence to come out of GLaDOS' "mouth" in Portal 2 is "I think we can put our differences behind us."

Did I say I believe this? "
If you didn't believe it, then why would you mention it?
#98 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@JazGalaxy:I was not sure at the time (until I realised how she got to aperture at least), but I was convinced that it was more propable than the idea that Chell was held as a prisoner.
#99 Posted by marlow83 (239 posts) -

No.

#100 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -

If you're a pretentious asshole then yea probably.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.