Is Portal a horror series?

• 118 results
#101 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Scratch that... I just realised that yeah, GLaDOS really did put her and Chell's differences behind. However, the proof of this claim is seen in Portal 2's ending.

#102 Posted by kaos_cracker (579 posts) -
@JazGalaxy:the environment makes it horror or not. there isnt people dying, or anything like that
#103 Posted by SockLobster (456 posts) -

It's a space trading sim

#104 Posted by Redbullet685 (6036 posts) -

In what way is Portal 2 a horror game?

#105 Posted by VoodooTerror (607 posts) -

its simple really........no

#106 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:
" @Yanngc33 said:
" @JazGalaxy said:
" "@Kjellm87 said:

" Is Zelda a horror game?
"

Majora's Mask? Yes. Yes it is.

Why would you think it isn't? Because it's part of a series that generally isn't considered to be?

From Wikipedia: 
"Plots written within the horror genre often involve the intrusion of an evil force, event, or personage, commonly of supernatural origin, into the everyday world. Themes or elements often prevalent in typical horror films include ghosts, torture, gore, werewolves, ancient curses, satanism, demons, vicious animals, vampires, cannibals, haunted houses, zombies and masked serial killers. Conversely, stories of the supernatural are not necessarily always a horror movie as well."

also

" Horror films deal with the viewer's nightmares, hidden worst fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Although a good deal of it is about the supernatural, if some films contain a plot about morbidity, serial killers, a disease/ virus outbreak and surrealism, they may be termed "horror." Maybe Horror doesn't mean what you think it does, and maybe both Portal and Majora's Mask aren't the games you think they are. "
Majora's is set in a weird world, it's not horror. There is no blood, psychological violence or things that are meant to scare you. Same  goes for Portal 2, at no point do the devs try to harass you with something shocking, there are no ghosts or torture or worst fears (these fears are only used in the context of humor), Portal 2 is supposed to be quirky and clever not terrifying. What you are defining as horror is the fact that the setting is weird, which does not make a game a horror game "
I am absolutely blown away by what people are saying in this thread.It's like people are completely missing the idea that GlaDOS is torturing Chell for the entire game. Her forcing Chell to go through an endless series of tests is very much her way of psychologically killing Chell. Until the point where she (spoiler) outright attempts to murder her.At no point in time do the devs try to present something shocking to the viewer? How about the previous test subjects, who have been murdered by Glados and scrawl hopeless messages on the wall about how the "Cake is a lie" and lamenting the deaths of their companion cubes after having been driven to insanity by the tests?Portal 1 is all abotu how Aperture Science is empty because GlaDOS murdered everybody by gassing them, and now she acts out her programming by sleecting test subjects to systematically drive insane and then murder. Endlessly. For all eternity.How is that quirky and not horror? "
But it's all tongue in cheek. You should listen to the portal 2 spoilercast or play through the game with dev commentary because you seem to be beside the point if you don't mind me saying
#107 Posted by norton123 (311 posts) -

I think they do a great job of building tension in certain scenes. Certainly not a horror series, though. 

#108 Edited by mshaw006 (548 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:

" @yoshimitz707 said:

" What are you talking about? Horror needs to be scary. There's nothing in Portal that scared me. "
Well that's the point, really.
Portal 2 is, ostensibly, a game about a character trapped in an endless maze and being forced to endure a torrent of testing.

That's, essentially, the plot of the novel turned game "I have no mouth and I must scream" which involved a group of people in a VR chamber who were tortured by a machine "God" who kept transforming reality to maximie their torture and to keep them from killing themelves.

Or, alternatively, it's very much like the punishments given to the denizens of hell in Dante's INfornero, where they are forced to repeat the same tasks endlessly.

Just because the game is filled with jokes (which Chelle is not likely to find as funny as you do) doesn't mean it's not a horror situation. In fact, it makes it more of a horror situation.
"
I totally agree. I was always kind of expecting it to turn actually frightening, and am kind of disappointed that it didn't. The premise is really scary! You're wandering around this abandoned testing facility that's rundown and half-functional, and the place is completely deserted except for these A.I. constructs that have somehow survived on their own. I really see it as more a creepy platformer than comedy. As in, closer to Limbo than, well, I don't know something comedic. The way they've blended the undoubtedly creepy setting and the comedic script is, in my mind, truly innovative, although I wish they would have skewed a little more towards creepy.

EDIT: O_o wow I just read this whole thread. I think the infuriating part of the "How can it be horror, it's funny?" reaction is that, not only is it wrong in assuming that funny things can't be horrific, but that it's so dismissive of an obvious comedic concept that I thought to be universally acknowledged. I am as baffled as @JazGalaxy and @AllenW00d. The tension between the horrific events taking place and the lighthearted facade that GlaDOS presents is central to the identity of the Portal series. To miss that would be, as has been stated, to miss the point entirely.

@imsh_pl said: 
" Scratch that... I just realised that yeah, GLaDOS really did put her and Chell's differences behind. However, the proof of this claim is seen in Portal 2's ending.

"
#109 Posted by eskimo (476 posts) -
@Cupids_Hitman:   NEVER!

Nah you're right, but portal is pretty straight science fiction in my opinion. Dead space is full of blood and guts, whereas portal is clean and nice.

Maybe you could call it a sci-fi puzzler or something, but portal is all about science, and the doing of it.
#110 Posted by rectum_abominae (158 posts) -

No, Portal 2 is a puzzle game.  

#111 Posted by Daveyo520 (6689 posts) -

I bet you think Shawn of the Dead is a horror movie too.

#112 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

Portal and Portal 2 have a lot in common with the Cube movies, which are horror/thrillers. But other than that, no.

#113 Edited by Positrark (316 posts) -
@Daveyo520: Shawn of the dead is a horror comedy. If Portal 2 was the game equivalent of that the OP would have a valid argument. However the game plays much more like a thriller comedy than anything horror related.
#114 Posted by Daveyo520 (6689 posts) -
@Positrark:I would say it is a comedy in what would normally be a horror setting. 
#115 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
Scratch that... I just realised that yeah, GLaDOS really did put her and Chell's differences behind. However, the proof of this claim is seen in Portal 2's ending.

I jut finished the game and reading the comic and I ultimately have to conclude that you are brain damaged. Or else you're not actually playing the game and just reading about it online or something.

GlaDOS doesn't kill Chel because she has residual traces of Catherine in her system which she promptly deletes when she gets the chance. She lets Chell go because, utlitmately, she realized she can't kill her or, at least, it's not a good use of time. In the closing song she takes satisfaction in the fact that Chell ultimately won't live very long. 
#116 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

If you put it like that, I think anything can be considered horror. Sort of the horror of the realization of the actual... It's sort of like a surreal kind of existential fright. 

Or maybe you mean things are so absurd and lethal that you don't know if to laugh or not? Anyway, I'm pretty sure their intention was not to make it scary. If anything its black humor.
#117 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@JazGalaxy said:
@imsh_pl said:

I jut finished the game and reading the comic and I ultimately have to conclude that you are brain damaged. Or else you're not actually playing the game and just reading about it online or something.

GlaDOS doesn't kill Chel because she has residual traces of Catherine in her system which she promptly deletes when she gets the chance. She lets Chell go because, utlitmately, she realized she can't kill her or, at least, it's not a good use of time. In the closing song she takes satisfaction in the fact that Chell ultimately won't live very long. 
Well now I'm convinced you didn't play the game.

You remember that part when Chell was hanging on to Wheatley when they were on the moon?

Why didn't GLaDOS just let her go?

And who the fuck is Catherine???
#118 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

Portal has a certain creepiness/eeriness to it. If it is a horror series, I would say it was a very subtle/suspenseful one. However, the horror side of it is drowned out by the comedy.

#119 Posted by 1UStasis (36 posts) -

I'm on Chapter 5 of Portal 2 right now and it reminds me a lot of Harlan Ellison's short story "I have no mouth and I must scream." In which  human beings construct advanced computers to run the Cold War for them only to have the computers merge into a skynet like sentience and kill all but 5 humans. The computer then spends the rest of eternity torturing the 5 people who it left alive. Its a creepy story and pretty short you can find it on the googles. Fun Fact: Harlan Ellison wrote this story pre Terminator and its interesting because he later  sued James Cameron  over Terminator saying it was similiar to an Outer Limits episode he wrote and now he gets a created by credit on all subsequent Terminator DVDs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.