Portal: Where will it head now?

#1 Posted by Assassin17 (19 posts) -

As a Big Portal fan im a little curious to know where the franchise is heading now. What do you think?

#2 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

I think speculating about anything related to Valve is a lost cause.

#3 Posted by Irvandus (2776 posts) -

As much as I love Portal hopefully no where. That story is pretty much done and Valve has plenty of other franchises that need some lovin.

#4 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

Two posts in and nobody said space. I'm highly impressed

#5 Edited by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

The end of Portal 2 multiplayer left things set up just right for a sequel. Then the DLC shot that down in the first 10 minutes.

Valve panicked as that would mean making a game with a 3 in it and reacted to form.

#6 Posted by The_Nubster (2037 posts) -

I think going anywhere with Portal is a bad idea. Roll the ideas into another game, but don't call it Portal. Portal 1 was a nice surprise that made a big splash, and Portal 2 was a comedic powerhouse with insane multiplayer, but after all of those story twists and turns, and that motherfucking ending, there's no way a Portal sequel could live up to the expectations that fans would have about it, no matter how hard they tried.

#7 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

I doubt there will be a proper Portal 3. I suspect that many elements of Portal will become a part of the next Half-Life game.

#8 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

To the Moon.

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@The_Nubster said:

I think going anywhere with Half Life is a bad idea. Roll the ideas into another game, but don't call it Half Life. Half Life 1 was a nice surprise that made a big splash, and Half Life 2 was a unique powerhouse with fresh ideas, but after all of those story twists and turns, and that motherfucking episode two's ending, there's no way a Half Life 2 sequel could live up to the expectations that fans would have about it, no matter how hard they tried.

That's how I read that.
#10 Posted by Assassin17 (19 posts) -

i mean they did end it good with that level making stuff. so maybe they could just add stuff to the game or end it with that

#11 Edited by Adaurin (186 posts) -

Honestly I admire Valve's hesitance to overuse their franchises. Naughty Dog is almost as good. Now if only Square-Enix or Activision or Ubisoft or EA or...

#12 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

To the Moon.

Fly me there.

#13 Posted by Brad (2870 posts) -

I'm betting it'll be a very long time before we see another Portal, if ever. Wouldn't surprise me if they're done with it.

Staff
#14 Posted by Brendan (7666 posts) -

Why would there be another one? This thread bothers me a little because it reflects the general assumption by people that all successful things are never ending franchises. This, of course, helps lead to never ending franchises. It was good, let it die, let something else come into being.

#15 Posted by Toxin066 (3250 posts) -

Valve can't count to three. There will never be a Portal 3, L4D3, or HL3.

In terms of speculation though, I'm gonna say Mars.

#16 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

Probably a portal gun and various stuff in Half-Life 3. There are so many connections between the two.

#17 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

Does Valve have any games with 2 sequels?

#18 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@Assassin17: heyo.

#19 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

Guys guys guys. Valve can't count to 3. Remember?

#20 Posted by stalefishies (330 posts) -
That Geoff Keighley Portal 2 thing talked pretty heavily about 'Project F-Stop' as a scrapped but very promising game mechanic for what was originally going to be Portal 2, but they make a very deliberate point to not say anything specific about the game mechanic itself because they may want to use it in the future. Perhaps it won't appear as 'Portal 3' or whatever, but if it does appear, I'd be surprised if it was outside the HL/Portal canon.

@Vinny_Says: If you're counting expansions and the like, then there's HL1, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Decay, HL2, Episode 1 and Episode 2 (and I suppose Lost Coast , and maybe even HL:DM and HL2:DM, and even that weird Japanese arcade game while you're at it). There's also CS 1.6, CSS and CS:GO.
#21 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

I hope nowhere. Portal was fantastic. Let's keep it that way.

#22 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

@stalefishies said:

That Geoff Keighley Portal 2 thing talked pretty heavily about 'Project F-Stop' as a scrapped but very promising game mechanic for what was originally going to be Portal 2, but they make a very deliberate point to not say anything specific about the game mechanic itself because they may want to use it in the future. Perhaps it won't appear as 'Portal 3' or whatever, but if it does appear, I'd be surprised if it was outside the HL/Portal canon.

@Vinny_Says: If you're counting expansions and the like, then there's HL1, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Decay, HL2, Episode 1 and Episode 2 (and I suppose Lost Coast , and maybe even HL:DM and HL2:DM, and even that weird Japanese arcade game while you're at it). There's also CS 1.6, CSS and CS:GO.

No I don't count any of those. I'm talking bout some Halo 3 type sequels.

#23 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Nothing I think the franchise is done. Mechanics could be folded into another game

#24 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

Like others, I believe the franchise to be - or, at least, should be - done. Portal 2 ended on a note so high that it was barely audible. I doubt it could be beaten.

If this were any other company we'd have seen another sequel a bunch of DLC by now, but we're talking about Valve. I think they understand that it shouldn't be milked. Or maybe they're just waiting to make another on, I dunno.

#25 Posted by realph (253 posts) -

Valve doesn't like the number 3.

#26 Posted by NTM (7234 posts) -

I think they're done with the games, but I don't think they're done talking about it. I think, or at least I would hope that when it comes to Half Life 3, or whatever you want to call it, they'd mention it in it somewhere. It's in the same universe, that much we know, so why wouldn't they go a little further? I mean, it doesn't have to go deep, like Gordon meeting GLaDOS, but I just think it'd be weird not to add at least a little more.

#27 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

I kind of agree that I don't see where Portal can go from here that would add much to the series, that being said I hope the team within valve behind it go on to work on a spiritual successor of some sort in the future. Comedy in video games has rarely been done so well so I'd hate to never see a game of that tone come around again at some point even if it had nothing to do with Portal universe.

#28 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3694 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

To the Moon.

To the Moon?

#29 Posted by casper_ (901 posts) -

i cant imagine another one with portal gun mechanics at least. hopefully at some point they make another game with a similar approach as far as humor goes though.

#30 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Its finished, I hope to see no more for a long time.

#31 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Presumably 200 years in the past, to a scientist with a crowbar, exploring an Aperture Science boat stranded in the arctic.

#32 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

sigh all the sweet things i could do with that gun if its in half life 3.

#33 Posted by face15 (1272 posts) -

I hope the Chell shows up in Half-life 3. Even just in passing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.