Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal

Franchise »

The Portal franchise is a series of games that involve creating portals to teleport the player and objects through various puzzles. It also exists within the same universe as the Half-Life series.

Portal, You've Been Completed (Plus Give-away).

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

PORTAL, YOU'VE BEEN COMPLETED (PLUS GIVE-AWAY)

It's been a while since my last entry, I'm certainly becoming Mr Inconsistent. As much as I love writing about video games and the mad industry surrounding our obsession, I only like writing one of these up when it's worth my time and yours. Same can be said for reviews, which I haven't been to frequent with over the past year. Though let's be honest here folks, there are more talented and skilled user reviewers here on Giantbomb. But anyway, onto the subject at hand. Yes you guessed it, let's talk about Portal and the pathetic truth that it was only yesterday that I completed it for the very first time. 

Chell & Companion Cube live happily ever after! 
    I'm ashamed! I'm disgusted with myself! I should go to virtual video gamer hell for not having completed this smart, witty and charming puzzle solver until very recently. But to tell you the truth dear reader, Portal never captured me like it captured so many gamers upon my first experiences with the game all the way back in 2007 upon it's release. Why? Well to be frankly honest I found the first hour or two awfully dull. I don't particular care for the actual puzzle mechanics in Portal, especially when so clearly displayed. Thankfully the later stages of the rather short experience gave me a newly found nerd excitement for Portal 2, and I know exactly why. 

It's all about how the mechanics of Portal are presented to me, the gamer. Now I'm perfectly fine completing these early puzzles, but I never felt there was enough reason to do so. The odd, somewhat creepy voice of GLaDOS and her wonderfully written dialogue was of interest but I never felt the real urge to venture forward and see what was actually going on here. I might not be describing myself perfectly well, but let's just say that Portal didn't make a stunning first impression back in 2007, explaining the long delay in finally completing the game. But once more of the actual mystery started to show itself, boy did I start to 'get' the love this game as received over the years. 

This is where I realised how much I preferred using the mechanics of Portal in a more varied tone, rather then just applying them to a 'complete puzzle, move onto next puzzle' method which appeared so obviously (for purpose I might add) in the first hour or so. Escaping from GLaDOS felt better blended into the game play mechanics on offer, which worked considerably better for me. Again, I feel I'm not explaining myself. But needless to say that I ended Portal with a much stronger opinion of it then I did all those years back, and finally ridding myself of the curse of having not completed the original Portal felt great to. Feel free to leave comments questioning my right to call myself a gamer. 

Companion Cube is disgusted with me, I'm ashamed.

THE VALVE RELATED GIVE-AWAY!

Yep, I thought this would feel dirty and it does. I'm not usually one for giving things away just to get more attention or anything like that, it's wrong and can promise you this will be a one time only thing. But anyway, I have three specific Steam games to give away. You can no doubt guess one of them, and there's an awfully good chance you'll already own the other two so keep that in mind. So I have a copy of Half Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode 1 and Portal to give away. Now I think the best way to do this is for any interested Giantbomb user to leave a comment (stating which they might be interested in) and I'll decide in a day or two who gets what. One per user I should add. 

Please leave your SteamID in the comments to, so I can easily transfer the games once I've chosen winners. Like I said, I have one of each that can go to a happy home. Especially to those who might not have experienced these wonderful Valve titles. But for now I'll leave it at that and will be choosing select Giantbomb users in a day or so. Now I'm off to wash this dirt off me and scrub my skin until it's red and raw. As always, your time is appreciated. 

UPDATE: Winner of the copy of Portal is oldschoolthrasher

Thanks for Reading, and Keep Gaming!
    Follow me on Twitter: JosephBayliss

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

PORTAL, YOU'VE BEEN COMPLETED (PLUS GIVE-AWAY)

It's been a while since my last entry, I'm certainly becoming Mr Inconsistent. As much as I love writing about video games and the mad industry surrounding our obsession, I only like writing one of these up when it's worth my time and yours. Same can be said for reviews, which I haven't been to frequent with over the past year. Though let's be honest here folks, there are more talented and skilled user reviewers here on Giantbomb. But anyway, onto the subject at hand. Yes you guessed it, let's talk about Portal and the pathetic truth that it was only yesterday that I completed it for the very first time. 

I'm ashamed! I'm disgusted with myself! I should go to virtual video gamer hell for not having completed this smart, witty and charming puzzle solver until very recently. But to tell you the truth dear reader, Portal never captured me like it captured so many gamers upon my first experiences with the game all the way back in 2007 upon it's release. Why? Well to be frankly honest I found the first hour or two awfully dull. I don't particular care for the actual puzzle mechanics in Portal, especially when so clearly displayed. Thankfully the later stages of the rather short experience gave me a newly found nerd excitement for Portal 2, and I know exactly why. 

It's all about how the mechanics of Portal are presented to me, the gamer. Now I'm perfectly fine completing these early puzzles, but I never felt there was enough reason to do so. The odd, somewhat creepy voice of GLaDOS and her wonderfully written dialogue was of interest but I never felt the real urge to venture forward and see what was actually going on here. I might not be describing myself perfectly well, but let's just say that Portal didn't make a stunning first impression back in 2007, explaining the long delay in finally completing the game. But once more of the actual mystery started to show itself, boy did I start to 'get' the love this game as received over the years. 

This is where I realised how much I preferred using the mechanics of Portal in a more varied tone, rather then just applying them to a 'complete puzzle, move onto next puzzle' method which appeared so obviously (for purpose I might add) in the first hour or so. Escaping from GLaDOS felt better blended into the game play mechanics on offer, which worked considerably better for me. Again, I feel I'm not explaining myself. But needless to say that I ended Portal with a much stronger opinion of it then I did all those years back, and finally ridding myself of the curse of having not completed the original Portal felt great to. Feel free to leave comments questioning my right to call myself a gamer. 

THE VALVE RELATED GIVE-AWAY!

Yep, I thought this would feel dirty and it does. I'm not usually one for giving things away just to get more attention or anything like that, it's wrong and can promise you this will be a one time only thing. But anyway, I have three specific Steam games to give away. You can no doubt guess one of them, and there's an awfully good chance you'll already own the other two so keep that in mind. So I have a copy of Half Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode 1 and Portal to give away. Now I think the best way to do this is for any interested Giantbomb user to leave a comment (stating which they might be interested in) and I'll decide in a day or two who gets what. One per user I should add. 

Please leave your SteamID in the comments to, so I can easily transfer the games once I've chosen winners. Like I said, I have one of each that can go to a happy home. Especially to those who might not have experienced these wonderful Valve titles. But for now I'll leave it at that and will be choosing select Giantbomb users in a day or so. Now I'm off to wash this dirt off me and scrub my skin until it's red and raw. As always, your time is appreciated. 

UPDATE: Winner of the copy of Portal is oldschoolthrasher

Thanks for Reading, and Keep Gaming!
    Follow me on Twitter: JosephBayliss

Avatar image for oldschoolthrasher
    oldschoolthrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By oldschoolthrasher

Could i have portal please
    steam id: nocturnalbeing

also its extremely nice of you to do a giveaway

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Stealthoneill

I've completed Portal twice in the last two weeks after, like you, missing out on the craze of '07. Glados was certainly a factor in pushing me forward through the more dull parts and, apart from the short length, I loved it. It could have done with a few more areas where we are out of the chambers, though, I suspect, this is what we will see in Portal 2, a great start to a strange puzzle game that offers a larger mystery and a new angle in to the HL universe!

And re: The giveaway, great that you're doing it but no worries, I own all the games! :)
    Blomakrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Blomakrans

I felt the same thing in a way. Initially I found the game very dull, almost like a 'flash'-game found on websites, 'Use this tool to complete this puzzle. Then use the same tool in a different way to complete this other puzzle.' However, later in the game I started slowly discovering that this wasn't anything like those games. When you start to see that this whole thing is trying to kill you and whatnot. At that point I felt that this 'disguise' in the beginning of the game helped a lot to make the story more interesting. I felt a bit like I had gotten myself into this experiment that had gotten out of hand.

I have portal and Half Life 2 but I'd love having episode 1 also. My steam id is: Blomakrans
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

Portal will always remind me of how awesome the Orange Box was when I bought it for the PC. Now I want to play all those great games again. I don't need anything.

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By zameer

Hello, I'd love to win a copy of Portal! My Steam ID's Sceptical.

PS. Why don't you do reviews anymore?

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MachoFantastico
    @zameer: I've sent you a friends request, Steam doesn't seem to allow me to send you a copy of Portal unless you accept the friends request. Please do and I can send the game to you. 
    zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By zameer
    @TrueEnglishGent: Hmm strange, I didn't get a request. I sent you one though. Thank you so much!
    Robiin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Robiin

Portal is one of the smartest games I've played. I liked it from the start (since I like the Portal concept and don't mind the "linearity"), but that last hour is just an incredible ride.
    I would really like to own Half-Life 2, damn shame I have never experienced it on a PC.

SteamID: illusionffs

KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By KimParnage

I would love Half Life 2! It's mostly for my girlfriend who wants to play her first shooter, and she really wants to play HL2!

Steam account : therandomko
    oasis789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oasis789

STEAM_0:1:35272876

Half Life 2 please!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.