Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

A first-person puzzle game developed by Valve and graduates of DigiPen, Portal forces a human test subject to run a gauntlet of grueling spatial experiments administered by a malfunctioning, psychotic artificial intelligence named GLaDOS.

Portal

zanshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By zanshin

Having been playing Team Fortress 2 for nearly a year now, and being an owner of the Orange Box, the release of Portal 2 has inspired me to play Portal (1 the original).  The only thing I knew about Portal was what I have seen in the commercials I have been bombarded with on TV.

I actually had no realy idea what the game would be about, and even after playing it, I cannot say what it is about, but I expected it to be a kind of First Person Shooter, which I usually enjoy, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was less than that, but yet quite a bit more.  So far, no gun (at least for my character) have appeared, but I didn't realize it was a puzzle game, and a really unique one at that.  So far, none of the puzzles feel contrived, nor are the frustrating, like some jumping puzzles in other games can be.  The game give you freedom of movement that you expect from a first person shooter.  But it also has a decent amount of humor, which makes the game even more enjoyable.

Once I finish this game (and a few others) I will give Portal 2 a try.  I really should have played Portal before the release of Portal 2, but my misconception of the game concept lead me to believe the game was nothing special, but it is something special and I should have given the game a shot based on Valves reputation alone.

zanshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By zanshin

Having been playing Team Fortress 2 for nearly a year now, and being an owner of the Orange Box, the release of Portal 2 has inspired me to play Portal (1 the original).  The only thing I knew about Portal was what I have seen in the commercials I have been bombarded with on TV.

I actually had no realy idea what the game would be about, and even after playing it, I cannot say what it is about, but I expected it to be a kind of First Person Shooter, which I usually enjoy, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was less than that, but yet quite a bit more.  So far, no gun (at least for my character) have appeared, but I didn't realize it was a puzzle game, and a really unique one at that.  So far, none of the puzzles feel contrived, nor are the frustrating, like some jumping puzzles in other games can be.  The game give you freedom of movement that you expect from a first person shooter.  But it also has a decent amount of humor, which makes the game even more enjoyable.

Once I finish this game (and a few others) I will give Portal 2 a try.  I really should have played Portal before the release of Portal 2, but my misconception of the game concept lead me to believe the game was nothing special, but it is something special and I should have given the game a shot based on Valves reputation alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.