Prey 2 announced, but it is probably not what you wanted

#1 Posted by JudgeDread (572 posts) -

if this picture is telling something about the game. F

http://www.gamereactor.se/blog/jonas/188461/

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Who is that guy? 

#3 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

There are so many things wrong with that picture, why do they bother calling it Prey?

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Dany said:
" There are so many things wrong with that picture, why do they bother calling it Prey? "
Thats not even Tommy. 
#5 Posted by PencilBastard (40 posts) -

Why don't you give them a chance to do what they would like to do with the fiction, and see how it turns out?

#6 Posted by Cameron (596 posts) -

The first one had some neat ideas, but it wasn't a great game by any stretch. I'm fine with a new direction for the franchise. Maybe the blue thing on his chest is his spirit mode gizmo, or his portal making gizmo.

#7 Posted by JudgeDread (572 posts) -
@PencilBastard said:
" Why don't you give them a chance to do what they would like to do with the fiction, and see how it turns out? "

thats what people said about SSX Descent...
#8 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Add this game to main-protagonist as 27 year old generic white male page.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11802 posts) -

That's a very...non-Prey-ish image; he's far too badass. Prey was all about a seemingly ordinary guy involved in a crazy situation. it would kind of be like Gordon Freeman walking around in a huge mech suit. Also, they mention in their press release that the game involves an "open, alien world", which to me sounds horrible. What I really liked about the original was its linearity, I know that's generally seen as a bad thing, but to me, Prey was a example of linearity done well. You went through each environment, action sequence, puzzle but by bit and it worked because each level was like a wacky rollercoaster ride with Indians and aliens and freaky weapons and the occasional vulvic door. 

I'm sure it won't be as bad as I fear, but I just can't get the idea of Oblivion in Space out of my mind :(

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9652 posts) -

Is that dude even Native American?

#11 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I like how you can't even read the name of the magazine.

#12 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

Come on, guys. Maybe we should give them a chance.

#13 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

In all honesty, Prey wasn't quite what I wanted it to be. It put its best stuff in the first 4 or so levels, which was all in the demo. I wanted it to crawl up its own ass a bit more than it did. I'm still on the fence with Prey 2, but that is far from what I expected from a first representation of the product.

#14 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5253 posts) -
@JudgeDread said:
" @PencilBastard said:
" Why don't you give them a chance to do what they would like to do with the fiction, and see how it turns out? "
thats what people said about SSX Descent... "
What's that supposed to mean? Is it for sure that SSX is "Duty of Snowboards: The Calling"?
#15 Posted by JEC03 (898 posts) -

Hope they have a cool soundtrack from a jukebox and Art Bell again.

#16 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Dude, where's Tommy?? :(

#17 Posted by CornBREDX (5046 posts) -

I'll give them a chance with this, but considering how poorly Prey was recieved I expect that may be why it's taking a different direction. My biggest concern is the lack of American Indian in this picture. I dont know, though. Maybe Tommy cut his hair? Or maybe it's a different guy. Only time will tell. I will reserve judgement for when I know more.

The original game was fairly unique but didn't use its odd ideas enough. I would like to see them do more with the mechanics than they did in the first. That's really the biggest draw to prey, next to it's kinda cheesy "war of the worlds esque" storyline. If they do more with the room changing on the fly mechanic, this game could be innovative.

We shall see.

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10851 posts) -

What?! Where's the almost stereotypical Native American guy from the first one? Way to alienate Prey's fanbase (yes, I used the word fanbase)!  

Well, maybe not, but I know my hopes are a bit lower now...

Moderator Online
#19 Posted by Hero_Swe (1125 posts) -

Booooooriing, add Prey 2 to generic shooter list.
#20 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

That's retarded, where's Tommy.

#21 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" I like how you can't even read the name of the magazine. "
I wonder how Sony feels about his gun blocking 1/4th of the PlayStation 3 title. I guess it will be a 360 exclusive.
#22 Posted by XenoNick (1396 posts) -

That's...not Prey.

#23 Posted by BeachThunder (11802 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" I like how you can't even read the name of the magazine. "
I wonder how Sony feels about his gun blocking 1/4th of the PlayStation 3 title. I guess it will be a 360 exclusive. "
Well, to be fair 'playstation 3' is kind of a long name. As it stands 'playsta' has as many characters as 'xbox 360', if you exclude the space, of course. So, I guess it's fair.
#24 Posted by bybeach (4772 posts) -
@Cameron said:
"The first one had some neat ideas, but it wasn't a great game by any stretch. I'm fine with a new direction for the franchise. Maybe the blue thing on his chest is his spirit mode gizmo, or his portal making gizmo. "

It is blue, I remember that kind of was the color. loose association but..

I assume this is in the same universe? I agree for good or bad, let them develop it.
#25 Posted by freshakiff (82 posts) -

wow, fuck gamers, I can't believe the way a lot of you are acting. 

1 single picture of a character shows up, and that makes the game generic? look at the lighting, he could still be Native American, can a man not get a buzz cut? Or that guy might be a npc, maybe Tommy leads a group of resistance members or something, who knows?

And if your going to look at me and tell me that a lack of tummy is the thing that makes prey unique, I'm going tell you you're retarded. In a game with vagina doors, portal before portals, crazy gravity changing mechanics,  and funky organic guns that the dumb stereotypical "Indian" character is what made the game? I mean come on he has a ghost falcon, and talks to his spirit elder grandpa in the "land of the ancestors", that's borderline offensive.

It's probably going to be good, so cool off and just enjoy the end product when it comes out.

#26 Posted by Fogh (154 posts) -

More vagina doors please. 
Joking aside, I somewhat enjoyed the first Prey when i played through it. Let's hope for the best but expect a standard FPS.
#27 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (878 posts) -

I'm thinking that Prey 2 will simply be about a different person who is abducted. So either another race of aliens, or a new ship from the same race comes to Earth and abducts a lot of people. One of them is some kind of special forces commando. I think I'll have to pick up GameReactor this week to read more about this.

#28 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2467 posts) -
@freshakiff said:

"In a game with vagina doors, portal before portals, crazy gravity changing mechanics,  and funky organic guns that the dumb stereotypical "Indian" character is what made the game?"

I guess "our" reasoning is, that if they are willing to get rid of the main protagonist, everything else might be summarily stripped away just as well. Looking at Max Payne 3, that's a valid concern.
#29 Posted by Terry_Bogard (303 posts) -

Oh no.. They're gonna eff up the sequel to my favorite game of the generation. Figures. If Tommy isn't the main character ima mess someone up.

#30 Posted by NTM (7321 posts) -

What? You don't like it because it's not Tommy? Eh, Tommy was a fine character, but I dont' have a problem with them changing the second up. The only thing that makes me skeptical is why he has futuristic equipment on. Plus, who knows? That could very well be Tommy.
#31 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@JudgeDread said:
" @PencilBastard said:
And that's not even been released yet...what's your point?
#32 Posted by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -

Is that even Tommy? Are there even vagina doors?

#33 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

A single picture of some random guy doesn't describe the game. Need something more decisive before I can cuss on it for being shit.

#34 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -
@JudgeDread said:
" @PencilBastard said:
Cause that game came out and totally sucked, right?
#35 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
 it would kind of be like Gordon Freeman walking around in a huge mech suit
You didn't see those promo screenshots from HL2 Episode 3?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.