Prey 2 Cancelled - Inside Source

• 175 results
#1 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-23-prey-2-cancelled-report 

As spotted by a NeoGAF  poster, Dutch site PS Focus  claims to have intel that the plug has been pulled on developer Human Head's title, and that an official announcement will come next week. 

The fact that a Prey 2 presentation scheduled for GDC in San Francisco earlier this month was cancelled a few weeks before the show got underway adds some weight to the report. 

"Yes, Zenimax forced us to pull all Prey 2 related talks from GDC. I'm pretty devastated by the news. This was to be my first conf talk," Tweeted  Human Head lead programmer Brian Karis at the time.

Guys what's going on.  
Wasn't everyone excited about this? This is still a rumour only but damn, that tweet.  

Just checked his twitter, the above message was followed up with these: 

Thanks all for the kind words. Needless to say this not a good day for me. 

I'm sorry but I can't answer some of the questions being asked about this

Bummer. 
#2 Posted by believer258 (12186 posts) -

Haven't they put a lot of money into this already? If it actually is cancelled, it's an oddity. Even if it's going to sell at a loss, businesses usually don't cancel something they've put a whole lot of money into.

#3 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2482 posts) -

I guess the "Prey 2 will have nothing you liked about the original, but everything else and your mother's skirt" approach didn't pan out. Or this is just a dumb-ass rumor by website no one knows.

#4 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (834 posts) -

I hope this is all just a rumor. Prey 2 was one of my most anticipated games! Man, such a bummer if it's true.

#5 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

Man, what a loss that would be. Prey 2 was looking GREAT.

#6 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1066 posts) -

After hearing them talk about it on the bombcast i was looking forward to this game, hope its not true.

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

Bethesda are a bunch of complete fucking clowns. They shaft Obsidian over 1 Metacritic point and then cancel the best looking game they have. Fucking.

This whole fucking industry is doomed.

#8 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

No offense to those games, but it Bethesda let Brink and Hunted: Demon's Forge to be released, theres no way Prey 2 will be cancelled. Well I'd like to think so anyways. =(

#9 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

Bummer was looking forward to it.

#10 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

They can't be fucking serious....fuck

This sucks! Game looked amazing

#11 Posted by bmehlers (132 posts) -

This is bullshit! Prey 2 is one of my most anticipated games as well, that E3 demo was pretty awesome. I hope and prey this is just a rumor.

#12 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

:/ please dont let that be

it looked really good

#13 Posted by Kedi2 (255 posts) -

This is extremely disappointing.

#14 Posted by TheHT (11782 posts) -

well that's dumb.

#15 Posted by MyNameIsJoe (184 posts) -

Really hope this isn't true...

#16 Posted by damswedon (3201 posts) -

I hope that ain't true. If so I guess I'll just put my shooter money into Halo 4.

#17 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

I wonder where this series would be right now if the original game came out in the 90s/early aughts like it was supposed to. I mean the old footage looked fantastic.

#18 Posted by RobDaFunk (336 posts) -

I pretty sure Patrick was Mega Pumped for this game so I'd like to think he's already on the case with this one...........hope it ain't true tho.

#19 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Kinda sounds legit.

#20 Posted by niamahai (1394 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

No offense to those games, but it Bethesda let Brink and Hunted: Demon's Forge to be released, theres no way Prey 2 will be cancelled. Well I'd like to think so anyways. =(

Personally I think it's because of Demon Forge and Brink. The higher up don't want their brand equity to suffer from less than stellar release (though I admit the Prey 2 demo I saw was kinda neat)

#21 Posted by EliminatoR (240 posts) -

I hope it's not true, game looked amazing.

Really loosing my respect for the industry if it gets canned.

I'm tired of good concepts going down the drain.

#22 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@niamahai said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

Personally I think it's because of Demon Forge and Brink. The higher up don't want their brand equity to suffer from less than stellar release (though I admit the Prey 2 demo I saw was kinda neat)

Rage also didn't sell all that well too, right? And that was a game that had a good amount of hype behind it.

#23 Posted by Master_Funk (741 posts) -

Thats a bummer if true. That game looked pretty fucking cool at E3.

#24 Posted by Tamaster92 (271 posts) -

Man I hope this turns out to be false, prey 2 looked genuinely unique and amazing

#25 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

Quickly everyone, to kick starter!

#26 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

What?! That game looked incredible!

#27 Posted by Egg0 (168 posts) -

Maybe they'll rebrand it or something. True Crimes/Sleeping Dogs style. Prey isn't a super recognizable name and this game is so different from the first one, it could work.

#28 Posted by Cronus42 (276 posts) -

If this is true that's more than a major bummer. Everything about that game was looking amazing, and was easily one of my most anticipated of the year.

#29 Posted by CornBREDX (5990 posts) -

Must have been an overall mess if this is fact and not just a silly PR stunt.

#30 Posted by kmg90 (417 posts) -

I'm just a skeptical as many who take reports from obscure sources with a grain of salt, but if this game does get cancelled in a world where a crappy game such as Raccoon City make it to stores , I've lost faith in this industry

#31 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

@niamahai said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

Rage also didn't sell all that well too, right? And that was a game that had a good amount of hype behind it.

To me Rage was a tech demo. All I'm hoping for is that we get a Quake 5 after Doom 4.

#32 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

If this is for real, it really sucks. This game looked like it could be awesome.

#33 Posted by gla55jAw (2696 posts) -

Damn, that would suck. I was looking forward to this.

#34 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

Man, I thought it looked good. This had better not turn out to be true.

#35 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

@Shookems said:

You joke, but the game's mostly done. I think we could fund that shit.

Of course it's more likely that someone else will come along and pick it up to publish, depending on how far along it is. And they better, because that game looked hot.

#36 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

But that game looked awesome! Why must they cancel it.

#37 Posted by Elyk247 (371 posts) -

This is really bad news, Prey 2 looked like something truly special. I'm actually a little heart broken, no joke.

#38 Posted by BLKZOMBIE (129 posts) -

@believer258: Except the Pirates of the Carribean RPG and that Mega Man Universe game.

#39 Posted by jakob187 (21758 posts) -

Dood, seriously?!?!?!

I was so fucking HYPED about this game!

#40 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

At first I thought, "There was a Prey 2 in development?" But then I thought, "Wait! Fuck! There was and I really wanted to play it!"

#41 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@niamahai said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

To me Rage was a tech demo. All I'm hoping for is that we get a Quake 5 after Doom 4.

id Software honestly needs the creativity Romero brought them. And Romero himself also needs the leash id had on him when they provided the engine.

#42 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

If this is true, this is the biggest bummer of the year! What the fuck man! Hopefully if it's a real story, it'll just turn into a April fools joke. This is the game I'm most excited about for this year I think. I mean, yeah, Bioshock Infinite, and whatever else, but this is the one.

#43 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

@Olivaw said:

@Shookems said:

You joke, but the game's mostly done. I think we could fund that shit.

Of course it's more likely that someone else will come along and pick it up to publish, depending on how far along it is. And they better, because that game looked hot.

Honestly I'm not even joking really. I want this game to come out as much as anyone, I'd be really bummed if it was completely canned. I'm also probably among the few that actually played through Prey.

#44 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Sounds a bit legit, really don't want it to be. I was pumped for Prey 2.

#45 Posted by James_ex_machina (899 posts) -

If there's no vagina doors or assholes why waste your time?

#46 Posted by Unchained (1090 posts) -

Wow. How terribly disappointing. 

I was really looking forward to it.

#47 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -

oh i hope this isn't true ><

#48 Posted by Harkat (1119 posts) -

So only Dishonored is left in the "interesting games of 2012" list, then.

#49 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2482 posts) -

Apparently the project will be renamed to Pray and released as part of the big 2012 bible games reboot alongside Noah's Ark Evolution and The Jesus: Origins.

#50 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@Harkat said:

So only Dishonored is left in the "interesting games of 2012" list, then.

E3 hasn't happened yet

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.