Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prey

Franchise »

Prey is a first person shooter franchise consisting of Prey and Prey 2 (which was confirmed shortly after the first game's release and has been supposedly in development since then). Prey featured unique gameplay concepts like portals and the ability to change gravity in a level.

Why so much hate for Prey?

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

So i bought prey this weekend for 5$ to see what all the hate was about. I'm on the last 2 chapters probably 30 mins away from the end, and don't understand why this game deserves such ubiquitous hate. Sure the story is as cheesy as any Hollywood Native American movie, but the gameplay appears to be fairly solid. The controls are intuitive, and have a good feel to them as fps controls. The weapon design seems creative, while being reminiscent of old Duke Nukem, Quake, Doom games.  I think the pacing is quite well done, i was worried the spirit walking would really kill the pace but i was wrong. The death-walk challenge again contributes to the pace well, keeping you in the action yet not giving you a 100% free revive on the spot. Also the hole gravity, portal mechanics just change it up a little form the regular corridor.

Now it is a middleware game, and for 60$ on release day i'd definitely be kinda angry. But i don't think it deserves unending hate, i think if you payed 30$ and under its a a good experience.I might even say 40$ is ok for a single player fps fan.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kermoosh

i played the extremely long demo and had nothing but praise for it, i thought it was solid and never heard any hate from it

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Hate for Prey. Or Prey 2 which really is not a squeal at all. And has the looks for every other FPS with a White male lead with a super COD look? 

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By donchipotle

Because at the time of release it was simply 'good enough'

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

I really liked it :) The weapon design was great, I especially liked the rechargeable gun.

BTW, you're posting this in the Prey franchise page and not the actual game's page.

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kandycane2029

I only played a little bit of it about 3 years ago, but all I can remember is that it wasn't very fun.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By 1337W422102

Played the demo, had a blast, bought the full version, loved the fuck out of it.  The atmosphere was great, the gravity and portal gimmicks were fun, the music was good, and I found Tommy to be a very plausible character.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By buzz_clik

I liked Prey enough to get all the single player cheevos. I thought it was good, solid fun with some extra neat stuff to lift it above the norm. Great game.

pabsi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By pabsi9

I love prey

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho

You know what most people thought about Prey before the announcement of Prey 2? They didn't think about it. Even the people who apparently, now in hindsight, loooooooooove it. Worse than being offensively bad, it was simply forgettable. Where Prey 2 sounds like something much more interesting. If Timeshift 2 was announced tomorrow, and was nothing like Timeshift 1 in that it sounded interesting, the same thing would happen. If Turok was rebooting the umpteenth time and they really went all out, the same thing would happen. Suddenly these lukewarm games would have people who insist they were amazing, who then ask about the "haters".

PS Turok 2 actually was amazing js
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bybeach

The combat and gameplay in Prey rocked. The story, and some cheesy elements attatched to it, not so much. Not the premise involving a Native American, just what they did with it.
    Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chontamenti

The character in Prey was an a**. "I have no time for you grandfather, you're dead, BUT I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU" .. What the what the? I wonder how this guy ever get his girlfriend..

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Loved the demo, still need to buy it someday when I'm through other titles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@1337W422102 said:
    Played the demo, had a blast, bought the full version, loved the fuck out of it.  The atmosphere was great, the gravity and portal gimmicks were fun, the music was good, and I found Tommy to be a very plausible character.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MeierTheRed

I bought it years back on 360, its not that it was horrible, but it wasn't great either. Just your standard mediocre shooter.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Getz

Never saw hate, I remember it coming out to lukewarm reviews. Never played it myself, but just see the comments here as proof that most people just thought of it as "ok"

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SomeDeliCook

The atmosphere and interactivity in the first few levels was amazing.

The later levels became a drag. The only memorable part from the later part of the game is when you get to the school bus and when you see the airplane flying around then crashing.

Oh and the game is like 5 bucks at Gamestop, so everyone should check it out.
    1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By 1337W422102
    @ryanwho said:
    You know what most people thought about Prey before the announcement of Prey 2? They didn't think about it. Even the people who apparently, now in hindsight, loooooooooove it. Worse than being offensively bad, it was simply forgettable. Where Prey 2 sounds like something much more interesting. If Timeshift 2 was announced tomorrow, and was nothing like Timeshift 1 in that it sounded interesting, the same thing would happen. If Turok was rebooting the umpteenth time and they really went all out, the same thing would happen. Suddenly these lukewarm games would have people who insist they were amazing, who then ask about the "haters".
    Maybe for most people, but not for me.  I legitimately enjoyed the game when it came out.  Yes, it's flawed, but it was a fun, enjoyable adventure.  It might not have stood out, but some of it stuck with me.  I found myself whistling the theme song without even realizing it.  I still have the Prey overture on my MP3 player today.

Prey was one of the few times I really felt uncomfortable in-game (in a good way - the atmosphere worked).  Seeing the grandfather die and screaming humans in machinery, hearing children dying, seeing the school bus, fighting the ghosts of kids, watching the plane go down, listening to the radio show about what the hell was going on...  I still can't forget seeing "Francine" written in blood in a room where kids died.  I have no idea who Francine is, or what that was supposed to mean, or why it stuck with me.  And now I have chills running down my spine again.

I'm still real skeptical about Prey 2.  It sounds pretty cool, and as a total cyberpunk whore, I'm looking forward to checking it out, but I'm weary of it having the Prey name on it.  It just sounds like too much of a departure from Prey.  The end of the first one said, "Prey will continue," and that's what I'd like to see.  I want to find out what happens after Tommy goes through that portal (the concept art of him in the massive alien landscape looked interesting).
    Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Choffy
    @Chontamenti said:
    The character in Prey was an a**. "I have no time for you grandfather, you're dead, BUT I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU" .. What the what the? I wonder how this guy ever get his girlfriend..
    Chicks love bad boys. Fact.
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Beaudacious

Holy i was way off on the 2 sections estimation, well anyways i finished it and it was enjoyable. But the credits song, omg what was that emo rock i was forced to listen to.....

I have to say thought the most memorable scene was the school bus glowing blue, i so was so disappointed when they turned the lights back on.
    @1337W422102
    I imagine they'll have a nod to that ending in prey 2 for those who finished prey. If not well then i guess Tommy got hooked on alien drugs and strippers and joined an alien circus to show off his spirit powers for alien currency.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.