PREY sold out on Steam. Lulz...

#1 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

So; Steam.  Digital distribution.  No physical media anywhere.

One could assume that Valve essentially has an unlimited supply of everything on Steam. If they need more they just generate more. I don't think that's an entirely unreasonable assumption since it's all digital. They gotta be able to generate keys, right? You buy something and it automatically makes you a key and everyone gets paid.

Not so. Apparently they do have a limited inventory and apparently it's entirely possible for it to run out with them unable to "restock" fast enough to meet the demand. At least, for one game so far: PREY. 

Perhaps PREY is a special situation. Regardless, it's an amusing situation. A game sold out on Steam. :P

Anyways, that just made me laugh. :)
#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

xD

#3 Posted by Dark_Jon (581 posts) -

I thought they were just doing that so when it comes up again, more people will buy it.

#4 Posted by Nasar7 (2687 posts) -

I think they allocated a certain number of purchases at the sale price, set within a 24 hour timeframe. Thus, all allocated offers at that special price point have been purchased.

#5 Edited by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -
@Nasar7: Good point. That sounds plausible. :D

EDIT: I guess we'll find out tomorrow when the sale price is off, right? If it's still sold out, then they're out out.
#6 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I was pretty surprised, anyone catch the price?

#7 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Nasar7 said:
" I think they allocated a certain number of purchases at the sale price, set within a 24 hour timeframe. Thus, all allocated offers at that special price point have been purchased. "
That's what I was thinking.  Only a certain number allowed at the sale price.
#8 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I'll have to call the other internet down the street and see if they have any in stock.

Wait no. What I mean to say is having an arbitrary set limit for stock in addition to a date when the sale ends is dumb as hell. One or the other, sure fine, a limit of 500 d/led before the sale expires is fine, but having both seems pretty stupid.

#9 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Demyx: edit: 
85% off
$2.25 sale
$14.99 regular
started 14 hours ago
replaced by Bioshock 9 hours ago

sold out in 5 hours
#10 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Wow, never thought I'd see that happen, special edition downloads yeah, a game selling out, that's weird and it looks weird on a digital distribution store. It doesn't give a good impression.. They should have something in place prevent this from happening, surely there must be a way of doing so with computer software.

#11 Posted by Milkman (16801 posts) -

How much was Prey on sale for?

#12 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

The problem was they sold it for too cheap and thought not alot of ppl wants to buy it.

#13 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@Nasar7 said:
" I think they allocated a certain number of purchases at the sale price, set within a 24 hour timeframe. Thus, all allocated offers at that special price point have been purchased. "
this makes sense, Steam must have had to gotten the publisher's permission to make any game for sale for a certain price and quantity. Otherwise, Steam would just say all games one buck to boost the steam dl numbers then as per the agreement give X% cut of the one buck to the publisher.
#14 Posted by Wildfire570 (719 posts) -

What I'm really surprised is the fact that that Prey actually sold out and not other more popular games on Steam.

#15 Posted by rhodric (281 posts) -

crazy crazy world

#16 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3205 posts) -

Hey, Prey's a fucking good game. One of the best campaigns I've experienced in a long time.

#17 Posted by Marz (5653 posts) -

they were probably losing more money from bandwidth selling this game than the amount of money they got from sales.

#18 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Wildfire570 said:
What I'm really surprised is the fact that that Prey actually sold out and not other more popular games on Steam.
Probably more a matter of not having a ton to sell in the first place.
#19 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Marz said:
" they were probably losing more money from bandwidth selling this game than the amount of money they got from sales. "
Validation is more important than money for a lot of people. Breaking even is enough if the endgame is people are enjoying your shit. Of course the higher ups aren't a part of the project, they're the ones who care about the sales.
#20 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -

Give me a second, the concept of a product distributed digitally as a download being "sold out" has my brain turning in circles.

#21 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

Actually what seems to have happened is that they ran out of keys to sell. I suppose what Valve does is that like a physical game store they also have inventory for some (or maybe all) games: keys. I'm assuming they have tens of thousands of keys at any one time and can order more from the publisher on the whim but if the game sells fast enough it could be quite problematic to obtain more keys quickly. By the looks of it this is exactly what happened with Prey.

#22 Posted by torus (1097 posts) -

The terminology is a little odd, but given that Steam does not have rights to the game, it makes sense that they only have a contract to sell a limited number of games at that cost.

#23 Posted by Shirogane (3574 posts) -

Hmm, i don't even have prey on my steam, it just doesn't show up. Much like FFXI. 

Either way, that is freakin weird. That's gotta be a lot of people buying Prey, or they just didn't have a lot to begin with and weren't expecting many sales.
#24 Posted by imhuntad (310 posts) -

Sold out on steam? What? Prey...Sold Out? WHAT?!

#25 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

The guy who was in charge of generating keys had to go save his cousin from the inevitable robot apocalypse, so he took the Prey graphic into MS Paint and made a "Sold Out" banner so he could take some time off.  

Problem solved.

#26 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

I saw that earlier, too.  I got a good laugh from it.

Is this the first time that happened?

Can you still buy it full price?

If not, then does that mean Prey has ceased to exist on Steam?

#27 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

Lolazer.

#28 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" @Demyx: edit: 
85% off $2.25 sale $14.99 regularstarted 14 hours ago replaced by Bioshock 9 hours ago  sold out in 5 hours "
Wow. 85% off. 

Other than the crappy $10 game I saw yesterday that was 90% that's the most I've ever seen.
#29 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

This is pretty funny. I suppose the CD keys explanation makes sense, but telling me a game sold out on Steam is like telling me a song sold out on Itunes. o_O

#30 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

wat

#31 Posted by gyspox (1 posts) -

Yeeehaa i have found Prey keys for steam! I have buy a key now i have pray on my steam account xD

http://www.cd-keys.at/Prey-STEAM

#32 Posted by Beforet (2922 posts) -

It's like a time capsule in here.

#33 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@gyspox said:

Yeeehaa i have found Prey keys for steam! I have buy a key now i have pray on my steam account xD http://www.cd-keys.at/Prey-STEAM

wat

#34 Posted by Hailinel (24836 posts) -

I almost thought that this was a new thread until I saw the Linkyshinks reply.

#35 Edited by redbliss (647 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

@Demyx: edit: 
85% off $2.25 sale $14.99 regularstarted 14 hours ago replaced by Bioshock 9 hours ago  sold out in 5 hours

At that price, you cant afford not to buy Prey.
#36 Posted by PDC_Emulator (184 posts) -
@RsistncE said:
Actually what seems to have happened is that they ran out of keys to sell. I suppose what Valve does is that like a physical game store they also have inventory for some (or maybe all) games: keys. I'm assuming they have tens of thousands of keys at any one time and can order more from the publisher on the whim but if the game sells fast enough it could be quite problematic to obtain more keys quickly. By the looks of it this is exactly what happened with Prey.
This has happened before with Company of Heroes, and other games. They simply run out of keys, and have to obtain more from the publisher before they can sell more copies.
#37 Posted by cooljammer00 (1749 posts) -

The only option to play this game on PC seems to be to buy a copy of Prey off Amazon or Ebay sealed and redeem the key that way.

#38 Edited by Cirdain (3089 posts) -

When steam keys are finished they need to generate new ones from the publishers. This doesn't happen that much so when it does it takes time to restock.

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I think that means there was a limited supply of the deal itself, like "first 500 customers don't have to pay a damn thing">

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.