Evolution Debate

#1 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1171 posts) -

Hey bombers I don't want to get too political or religious here but in the Pokemon universe do you think the people evolved from Primeapes? Let's do our best to keep it tame and respectful.

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Metric_Outlaw said:

Hey bombers I don't want to get too political or religious here but in the Pokemon universe do you think the people evolved from Primeapes? Let's do our best to keep it tame and respectful.

Better question.  

Where do they get food from on the show? I never see live stock. Where does POKEFOOD come from? 
#3 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

...No. The closest Pokemon to a human is either mr.mine or jynx. Just cause supposedly humans evolved from monkeys doesn't mean the same in the pokemon world. Also look at primate... He's a head with arms and legs, no body at all! If anything they evolved from jynx. She is part of the 151 Pokemon so it's possible.

#4 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: They eat Magikarp sushi
#5 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

No, god created people and pokemon 6000 years ago. It's written in the pokedex.

#6 Posted by gaminghooligan (1437 posts) -

nah people evolved from digletts

#7 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

My Pokemon knowledge is very weak these days but didn't they make a Pokemon who was so powerful that he was basically a God? So perhaps he just created everyone in the Pokemon Universe.

#8 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

Humans evolved normally, Pokemon came from outer space.

#9 Posted by ch3burashka (5045 posts) -

God created the Pokemon from man's rib.

#10 Posted by Hunter5024 (5639 posts) -

@Mushir said:

My Pokemon knowledge is very weak these days but didn't they make a Pokemon who was so powerful that he was basically a God? So perhaps he just created everyone in the Pokemon Universe.

This. Arceus created humans and pokemon alike. Duh guys.

#11 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

^There you go.

#12 Posted by 49th (2734 posts) -

A wizard did it.

#13 Edited by Dagbiker (6974 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

Humans evolved normally, Pokemon came from outer space.

So at what point in history did our history and POKeHISTORY diverge?

@Hunter5024: Then who created Arceus?

#14 Posted by ThunderSlash (1691 posts) -
#15 Posted by Patman99 (1579 posts) -

Humans didnt evolve from monkeys or apes or anything that we see today. A chimpanzee has been evolving just as long as humans so it is impossible that we derived from them. All primates (which humans are a part of) come from a common ancestor but that's it.

If we were to apply this actual evolutionary theory to Pokemon, then it would be impossible for humans to have evolved from Primeapes. All the pokemon that you see in the games have evolved just as much as the humans in the Pokemon Universe so while they may have derived from a common ancestor, there is no single pokemon that is an "old version" of a current pokemon/human.

If you feed you Primeape a billion rare candies, it will not turn into a human but rather, it would get sick and probably die.

#16 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

Humans didnt evolve from monkeys or apes or anything that we see today. A chimpanzee has been evolving just as long as humans so it is impossible that we derived from them. All primates (which humans are a part of) come from a common ancestor but that's it.

If we were to apply this actual evolutionary theory to Pokemon, then it would be impossible for humans to have evolved from Primeapes. All the pokemon that you see in the games have evolved just as much as the humans in the Pokemon Universe so while they may have derived from a common ancestor, there is no single pokemon that is an "old version" of a current pokemon/human.

If you feed you Primeape a billion rare candies, it will not turn into a human but rather, it would get sick and probably die.

This is pretty much what I was going to say.

#17 Posted by binhoker (82 posts) -

Science and pokemon are non-overlapping magesteria.

#18 Posted by ThunderSlash (1691 posts) -

Then again, the Pokemon universe is kinda weird. Different species of animals can successfully mate with one another.

#19 Posted by Dagbiker (6974 posts) -

@binhoker: So which one are you?

A man of Science or a man of POKeMON?

#20 Edited by binhoker (82 posts) -

I am a man of one book.

(Timeo hominem unius libri.......mistranslated)

#21 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

...No. The closest Pokemon to a human is either mr.mine or jynx. Just cause supposedly humans evolved from monkeys doesn't mean the same in the pokemon world. Also look at primate... He's a head with arms and legs, no body at all! If anything they evolved from jynx. She is part of the 151 Pokemon so it's possible.

Humans did not evolve from monkeys. We share a common ancestor.

#22 Posted by Saethir (353 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

Don't forget about Machoke. thats just a dude in a speedo doing shit for you.

#23 Posted by Benny (1952 posts) -

Evolution when referring to humans means would share common ancestors with pokemon, not have actually evolved from a pokemon.

The "Is it true we evolved from chimps" or "how come monkeys are still here if we evolved from them?" bugs the shit out of me. We shared a common ancestor.

#24 Edited by PenguinDust (12499 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Better question. Where do they get food from on the show? I never see live stock. Where does POKEFOOD come from?

Aw hell, I'm going to lie awake at night thinking about this.

For a moment, I imagined a stockyard with Tauros and Miltanks being led to slaughter. Now I feel bad.

#25 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Better question. Where do they get food from on the show? I never see live stock. Where does POKEFOOD come from?

Aw hell, I'm going to lie awake at night thinking about this.

For a moment, I imagined a stockyard with Tauros and Miltanks being led to slaughter. Now I feel bad.

I have never seen live stock on the show EVER! All the fish are pokemon. 
#26 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Pokémon evolution is depicted completely differently from how humans. Perhaps Pokémon are not bound by Darwin's theory of evolution at all. Humans and Pokémon couldn't possiby share a common ancestor. Who knows whether Pokémon have any ancestor at all?

#27 Posted by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

Pokemon were created by Dr. Light. I'm pretty sure.

#28 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

We're looking way too far into Pokemon.

#29 Edited by BoG (5187 posts) -

HUMAN! I CHOOSE YOU!

Can you imagine?

Bulbapedia says that Arceus "... created Sinnoh, and possibly the entire Pokémon universe, along with the lake guardians and creation trio." Not necessarily humans. This lead me to ask: are the characters in Pokemon really humans, like us? I guess so.

As for those discussing other animals, Bulbapedia has a very interesting article: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Animals_in_the_Pok%C3%A9mon_world

So, it' seems that other animals exist. Dogs and cats have been seen. There is clearly a distinction between animals, which are non-combat creatures, and Pokemon, which are more intelligent creatures capable of combat.

Also, I found this.http://www.bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id=221

#30 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
#31 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@binhoker: So which one are you?

A man of Science or a man of POKeMON?

i come from a land where pokemon and science are one of the same.

#32 Posted by Hunter5024 (5639 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Hunter5024: Then who created Arceus?

He's the evolved form of nothingness.

#33 Posted by Sumbog (483 posts) -

Imagine if the collective mind of Giantbomb that goes into topics such as this, would delve into topics like world hunger... We could solve all world problems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.