Primordia needs to go through Steam Greenlight? What? Why?

#1 Edited by CircleNine (381 posts) -

Why does this even need to go through the Greenlight process? Wadjet have 6 quality adventure games up on Steam as it is, so there's a past relationship there which is what I was under the impression of before of what mattered whether people would need to go through the Greenlight process or not for new projects. They've shown that they don't just dump shovelware out, so I don't get it.

Anyways, you should go vote for this because it's stupid as hell that this has to go through Greenlight and it's looking to continue the trend of Wadjet putting out great adventure games.

Here is the page for it. You should be cool and do a vote maybe if you like good adventure games?

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Maybe it's cheaper to pay $100 to put it on Greenlight when they know it will succeed then to directly go to Valve certification?

#3 Posted by MattyFTM (14372 posts) -

It's pretty screwed up for Valve force developers already on Steam to go through Greenlight.

#4 Posted by kn00tcn (158 posts) -

not every dev with steam games even has all of their releases on steam

but anyway, greenlight is more of a community excitement measuring tool, who says anyone was forced into greenlight? if i was a dev, i probably would drop the internal valve process on purpose

#5 Edited by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

It's not really a disadvantage because it gives useful information for gauging interest. Also it's probably voluntary...

#6 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan said:

It's not really a disadvantage because it gives useful information for gauging interest. Also it's probably voluntary...

Nope, they rejected the game and said they should submit it to greenlight.

It's some grade A bullshit, really. Wadjet Eye has put out a ton of quality games, some of them already on Steam, I'm not sure why they aren't given their proper place on Steam as a regular release. Valve has let through some garbage adventure games that aren't even half as good as what Wadjet Eye puts out.

Valve is fucking weird sometimes.

Anyways, they put out the launch trailer. It looks bloody fantastic. Unsurprising coming from Wadjet Eye.

#7 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

@Fjordson: Yeah I don't really think that's appropriate to force on someone who has had a successful track record. I think people who really care about these games should send Valve an email complaining.

I can see three possible reasons they would do this.

1 beef up greenlight to ensure it's success. Not entirely selfless but it is kindof a well intentioned program.

2 haven't considered any "indie" developer might not want to use greenlight. As I said previously it is good for gauging interest but it may also be useful in generating interest.

3 I think as the dominant platform they have some responsibility to be somewhat impartial in what they accept to the service. Maybe they think greenlight is a more impartial way of deciding this.

None of these reasons are malicious or overly self-serving so I'm not really mad at Valve but I feel that a successful track record should exempt you from going through greenlight if the developer chooses.

#8 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

It just seems very inconsistent to me. Greenlight is for lesser known developers/publishers who are new to Steam. Or at least that's what I thought it was supposed to be. Wadjet Eye is neither. And while they'll survive without guaranteed Steam releases, it's a damn shame that they even have to compete for a spot and potentially lose out on sales.

I've heard Dave Gilbert mention how the Steam sale phenomenon really helped some of their past games (where you put something on sale, tons of people buy it, it goes off sale, and people still buy a bunch of copies because of word of mouth). Just hope Primordia makes it since it looks really special.

#9 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

I'd argue that it would be pretty self serving and misleading to force a dev to go through the Greenlight process when it was a game you might otherwise accept (like they did with the past 6 games) for the purpose of being able to put "wow woah look at all these great games coming out of greenlight!" in some press release. If that's why they're doing this which no one will ever know. Apparently it was really difficult for them to initially get Gemini Rue on Steam or something though so I dunno whats up with it.

Either way I'll be getting the game, it'd just be great if I could get it through Steam to keep with the rest of them.

#10 Posted by WadjetEye (15 posts) -

Hey everyone! (What do you guys call yourselves? Bombinations? Giant bombers?)

I saw this thread via Google Alert. I just wanted to hop on and say thank you. This community was the very first to give us some major mainstream attention back when we were trying to get on Steam the first time around. Hopefully we can officially prove ourselves once and for all. Thanks again!

-Dave

#11 Posted by BisonHero (6453 posts) -

Yeah, if you'll recall, Gemini Rue was done and available to buy and got a Quick Look, and then it was months and months before the game got onto Steam. So I'm kinda not surprised Steam has made them go through Greenlight. If anything, maybe all of us voting for it will get it on Steam quicker than the like 6-12 months it took Gemini Rue.

#12 Posted by Zripwud (247 posts) -

I got the review copy of this game and it's awesome guys. The world they've created is awesome, and is great in every classic adventure game kinda way. Except if you're looking for a hard adventure game, this is not it. But I'm loving it!

#13 Posted by adam1808 (1462 posts) -

@WadjetEye said:

Hey everyone! (What do you guys call yourselves? Bombinations? Giant bombers?)

I saw this thread via Google Alert. I just wanted to hop on and say thank you. This community was the very first to give us some major mainstream attention back when we were trying to get on Steam the first time around. Hopefully we can officially prove ourselves once and for all. Thanks again!

-Dave

At what point do you guys get to go to Valve and say "put our game on Steam, we made Gemini Rue"?

#14 Posted by WadjetEye (15 posts) -

@adam1808: I wish I knew. :) This is the life of an indie game developer, I'm afraid.

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (11866 posts) -

Yay!

#16 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

BTW, Primordia got greenlit.

#17 Posted by RVonE (4636 posts) -

Late to the party but I agree that it is kinda bullshit they had to go through greenlight. Glad they made it through, though.

#18 Posted by ManiacMaysin (368 posts) -

Just got the game. From what I played of the demo, the game seems really interesting, and the music is awesome!

#19 Posted by Greenshoes (279 posts) -

I'm just glad it is out. The demo was great.

#20 Posted by Xshinobi (377 posts) -

It is crazy that they have to go through Greenlight. I just picked it up on GoG and got a few nice extras but it would be nice to have it on Steam for all the people that refuse to use any other service.

#21 Edited by Kenobi (373 posts) -

It would make sense that putting popular indie games on Greenlight is an intentional move to specifically get Greenlight more attention.

#22 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

@Kenobi said:

It would make sense that putting popular indie games on Greenlight is an intentional move to specifically get Greenlight more attention.

Bingo.

#23 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -
@gladspooky said:

@Kenobi said:

Bingo.

I would assume this as well. It's extra publicity.
#24 Posted by ajamafalous (11964 posts) -

Gemini Rue wasn't on Steam until several months after it came out. IIRC, Wadjet Eye had submitted it and Valve turned them down, saying they 'didn't think it fit with their audience.' Obviously it eventually made it onto Steam after being successful and drumming up some more buzz outside of it. I don't think it's too farfetched that they would tell them to go through Greenlight again if they felt the same way about Primordia, seeing as that's kinda the entire point of Greenlight (to see if the community actually wants a game).

#25 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

You guys saying Wadjet Eye are some well known studio are crazy. This is the first time I've heard of them.

I don't mean that to sound offensive, but some of the posters make it seem like Naughty Dog were having to go through Greenlight.

#26 Posted by LilithGamer (20 posts) -

Hey, I'm following the developer of Primordia on his blog and twitter, his name is Dave Gilbert :D

Haha he actually posted a few comments just above! Keep making great games Dave!! You're the best :D

#27 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

@LilithGamer said:

Hey, I'm following the developer of Primordia on his blog and twitter, his name is Dave Gilbert :D

Haha he actually posted a few comments just above! Keep making great games Dave!! You're the best :D

Dave Gilbert didn't develop Primordia. Wadjet Eye only published it.

#28 Posted by LilithGamer (20 posts) -

Oh, then I should read his blog more carefully :D I thought Dave was involved in the development too.

#29 Posted by Syndrom (361 posts) -

just finished the game, yeah it's short. But it's such a good game, really enjoyed my time with it. I need more of these type of games.

#30 Posted by coaxmetal (1608 posts) -

I'm glad its out, but this is an example of valve using greenlight the way people were afraid they would, they are kicking games from established devs they have agreements with down to greenlight. Since the game got approved instantly, it was really just a wast of everyone's time.

#31 Posted by coaxmetal (1608 posts) -

@rebgav said:

According to the wiki, it's the developer's first game. Seems like a valid Greenlight project, unless you think that Steam should prioritize a game simply because Wadjet Eye chose to publish it.

I think they certainly should, wadjet eye is a publisher and developer that has an established reputation and steam has an existing relationship with

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.