Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Ubisoft returns to the Sands of Time universe for a fourth time in this May 2010 release, set in between the first two games in the trilogy and coinciding with the release of the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time movie.

Why I think the new Prince of Persia has a great chance for fail.

papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By papuccino1

if you've played the last Prince of Persia game you can all agree that the game sucked. 

You couldn't die.
    You had a nice cookie cutter path laid out for you. 
    No choice except which rail to take.
    The characters voice acting was awful; the writing even worse.

They took the charm that made the Prince famous for the new gamers and sucked it out for a Disney experience. Here's to hoping the new game goes back to what made it great in the first place. Great characters, great gameplay that required you to think and time things well and non-retarded sidekicks.

papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By papuccino1

if you've played the last Prince of Persia game you can all agree that the game sucked. 

You couldn't die.
    You had a nice cookie cutter path laid out for you. 
    No choice except which rail to take.
    The characters voice acting was awful; the writing even worse.

They took the charm that made the Prince famous for the new gamers and sucked it out for a Disney experience. Here's to hoping the new game goes back to what made it great in the first place. Great characters, great gameplay that required you to think and time things well and non-retarded sidekicks.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I loved the last PoP because it felt like more of an experience than a game. I don't know. It was just stunning. 

But I think this new one has the possiblity to be garbage, simply because it's tying in with the movie. And we all know how the vast majority of movie-games are -_-

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

They've stated in press releases they scrapped the whole "press forward to win" philosophy and are attempting to do what made the original (by which I mean the PS2 era game) work. Nascon if you will. But then, they attempted to and failed twice to capture what made the first game work in its sequels, which is why they had a retcon to begin with. They're just all over the map.

Bogitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Bogitt

I really liked the last one, found it very relaxing to play and I don't think i ever got annoyed or stressed out at any section in the game, just simple fun! But i must say whilst I don't mind this PoP and will probably enjoy it if it's a return to its roots I'll be pretty annoyed if they don't finish up the story of the 'Disney' PoP as you call it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo
    I agree with xyzzyzgyx.  I was surprised by how much I enjoyed PoP '08 after all the shit people had been talking about it.  True there isn't much actual 'game' to it, but I still loved the characters and especially the setting.  

I thought the ending especially was sublime, just brilliantly crafted - though I appreciate that is a minority opinion.  When I missed the 'easy' double-jump at the end, I literally just put the controller down and stared at the screen for a minute.  This is maybe the only true example I could offer as game mechanics themselves being art.  Whoever was responsible for that genuinely pulled off something that could not be done in any other medium.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

It's FAILURE, not fail. That shit's stupid.  

Anyway, that last one was pretty good, some fun platforming, and an okay combat system. Puzzles weren't great, but I liked how you kinda felt alone half the time in the levels, and the combat's sparse. Reminded me of what I liked in tomb raider.

papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By papuccino1
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " It's FAILURE, not fail. That shit's stupid.
    I agree it's completely for morons only. However there is a character limit when writing the blog post Title.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Maybe Im just oversimplifying things but couldn't they just make a game with the best aspects of both retcons instead of jumping back and forth? People like the responsive, clever platforming in SOT so keep it. People like that the new PoP understood PoP combat tends to suck so they made it happen less often. The new art style was pretty great, and people seem to like the way SOT masked the fact that you never die better than the new one which made it more obvious that you never die. So time manipulation, "death" (that brings you to the checkpoint of 5 seconds ago unless you just went back in time), painty art style, sparse (but more meaningful) fights, actual platforming. No "dark" prince, no heavy metal music. Its not that hard, Ubi, you've got all the pieces just put the damn thing together.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @xyzygy said:
    " I loved the last PoP because it felt like more of an experience than a game. I don't know. It was just stunning. "
    Considering there was nothing in that game, I don't understand what you were experiencing besides thinly veiled QTE and shit voice acting.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael

i think the last Prince of Persia sucked because it was for kids like mario and I only play mature hardkore games for mature hardkore gamerz such as myself, like Ninja Gaiden and Modern Warfare 2 on hardcore 

Get the fuck out of here. The last Prince of Persia was the best out of the bunch. It wasn't as challenging as the Sands of Time games, no, but the platforming felt better, the story was great, the characters were excellent, and it was aesthetically pleasing to the point where simply being it its world was more enjoyable than completing even the most difficult of the older games' platforming puzzles. Complaining that the game sucked because it was easy is like complaining that a beautiful, flower-filled forest where the sun's shining and the birds are singing sucks because all you have to do to get to the other side is walk.

Also, I find it extremely humorous that pretty much everyone who hated the game because it was easy will tell you that God of War III, which was even easier, is a fantastic game.

papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By papuccino1
    @Icemael: The game sucked partly because of it's easiness to beat, but also because of it's shallowness. The world felt compeltely fake and as if I could kick a rope and have the backdrop fall down. Awful.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " I loved the last PoP because it felt like more of an experience than a game. I don't know. It was just stunning. "
    Considering there was nothing in that game, I don't understand what you were experiencing besides thinly veiled QTE and shit voice acting. "
    The game had a lot to it. The platforming felt amazing, the world was beautiful and vast, and seeing your world change around you was very satisfying. I'm talking about making the worlds pure from their corruption. I don't know. It was definitely my favorite of all the PoP games. 
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Icemael: Are you kidding me? The platforming was so linear that it was tedious from the start, the characters were bad fits for the landscape and their characterisation was even worse and the all sections of the world played exactly the same way save for a different skin over the top and those terrible coloured pads. God of War III might be easier but at least it had a sense of progression.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho
    @Icemael said:
    " Also, I find it extremely humorous that pretty much everyone who hated the game because it was easy will tell you that God of War III, which was even easier, is a fantastic game. "
    That's just a made up correlation you're using to discredit valid points people have against the last PoP. Seriously, why would you use such a lazy red herring like that.
    Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Elazul

I played the last Prince of Persia game and thought it was by far the best yet, and apparently so does everyone else. You. Have. Failed.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " Also, I find it extremely humorous that pretty much everyone who hated the game because it was easy will tell you that God of War III, which was even easier, is a fantastic game. "
    That's just a made up correlation you're using to discredit valid points people have against the last PoP. Seriously, why would you use such a lazy red herring like that. "
    It's true though. Weird, because a few nights ago me and a few friends were talking about games and that exact same thing came up... and one of my friends said the exact same thing. "PoP sucks because it was too easy." Later on in the conversation, "GoW3 is awesome!" 

I had to laugh a little on the inside. I didn't say anything to him because he's one of those gamers who gets all his opinions from others on the net. AKA he always jumps on bandwagons.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " It's FAILURE, not fail. That shit's stupid. "
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Icemael
    @HandsomeDead: The platforming being "on-rails" wasn't an issue for me. Climbing stuff felt so good, I could (and have; sometimes I jump back into the game and just aimlessly run around. Very relaxing.) do it for hours without getting bored. The characters were excellent -- at least by video game standards -- and certainly more complex and "real" than the ones from the Sands of Time trilogy. And I don't know if you noticed, but you de-corrupted the world, area by area. If that didn't give you sense of progression, I don't know what does. 

@ryanwho said:

" @Icemael said:

That's just a made up correlation you're using to discredit valid points people have against the last PoP. Seriously, why would you use such a lazy red herring like that. "
    It's a very real correlation I'm using to discredit an invalid point people who like God of War III use against the last PoP. If you straight-up don't like easy games, then yeah, "it was too easy" is a valid point. If you gush over an easy game one second, however, and bash another for being easy the other, it's fucking not.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By yinstarrunner

I like Sands of Time slightly more than PoP. I didn't think Warrior Within or The Two Thrones were good at all, and I'm glad they had the balls to try something completely different.  I don't understand why everyone complains about the fact that you couldn't "die", the game just used a checkpoint system cleverly embedded into the narrative.  The combat did kind of suck, but it was flashy, which was nice, and I don't ever expect there to be really good combat in a Prince of Persia game anyway.  I was also pretty interested in the characters and the world.

That said, the TC is utterly wrong about why this new game has a chance to fail.  It's an easy three word phrase: Movie. Tie-in. Game.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @papuccino1 said:
    " if you've played the last Prince of Persia game you can all agree that the game sucked... "
    This is where you lost me.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By EVO
    @Icemael said:
    "I find it extremely humorous that pretty much everyone who hated the game because it was easy will tell you that God of War III, which was even easier, is a fantastic game. "
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " God of War III might be easier but at least it had a sense of progression. "

Are you guys high? God of War III is 10x harder.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Icemael
    @EVO said:
    " @Icemael said:
    "I find it extremely humorous that pretty much everyone who hated the game because it was easy will tell you that God of War III, which was even easier, is a fantastic game. "
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " God of War III might be easier but at least it had a sense of progression. "
     Are you guys high? God of War III is 10x harder. "
    Not counting parts where I fell into pits because of the crappy camera (watch the site's second Quick Look for an example) or died because the screen was so full of shit I could barely even keep track of where Kratos was, much less what the enemies were doing (the Zeus battle being a prime example) -- you know, parts where the problem wasn't a lack of skill on my part, but rather, poor design -- I died less than ten times. And even if you count all of the deaths, the total number was below fifty, and more than half of those were because of the fucking atrocious final boss battle. God of War III is the most mindless button masher I've ever played.

In my first Prince of Persia playthrough, however, I don't think I even got the "Be gentle with her" achievement. You know, the one you get for "dying" less than a hundred times.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By wefwefasdf

I have a bet with a friend it won't get over a 50% on Rotten Tomatoes. It better do badly. :p

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By EVO
    @Icemael said:
    " I died less than ten times. And even if you count all of the deaths, the total number was below fifty, and more than half of those were because of the fucking atrocious final boss battle. God of War III is the most mindless button masher I've ever played.In my first Prince of Persia playthrough, however, I don't think I even got the "Be gentle with her" achievement. You know, the one you get for "dying" less than a hundred times. "
    I didn't get Be Gentle With Her either yet I still think God of War III is a harder game. Besides, death count isn't necessarily the best way to gauge difficulty.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Icemael
    @EVO said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " I died less than ten times. And even if you count all of the deaths, the total number was below fifty, and more than half of those were because of the fucking atrocious final boss battle. God of War III is the most mindless button masher I've ever played.In my first Prince of Persia playthrough, however, I don't think I even got the "Be gentle with her" achievement. You know, the one you get for "dying" less than a hundred times. "
    I didn't get Be Gentle With Her either yet I still think God of War III is a harder game. Besides, death count isn't necessarily the best way to gauge difficulty. "
    Okay, let me put it this way: In God of War III, I never had to turn on my brain when fighting. With the exception of the 2.5D fight (don't want to spoil it for people by saying who it's with, but you should know what I'm talking about) and the Escher puzzle, I wasn't engaged in what I was doing a single time. I was just mindlessly mashing buttons, repeating the same two or three combos over and over.

In Prince of Persia, there were plenty of parts that actually required concentration. The Alchemist, with his super-fast QTE attacks and arenas surrounded by Corruption. The Warrior, who required that I paid attention to where I positioned myself. The windmill puzzles, the water pond puzzle and the Concubine's illusion trick, which forced me to pay attention and think.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Snail
    @papuccino1 said:
    " if you've played the last Prince of Persia game you can all agree that the game sucked.   You couldn't die. You had a nice cookie cutter path laid out for you.  No choice except which rail to take. The characters voice acting was awful; the writing even worse. "
    Obvious trolling, if you ask me.
    LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LlamaLlama

Sorry, but PoP is actually one of my favorite games. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the announcement for a PoP 2.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By iamjohn
    @papuccino1 said:
    " if you've played the last Prince of Persia game you can all agree that the game sucked.   You couldn't die. You had a nice cookie cutter path laid out for you.  No choice except which rail to take. The characters voice acting was awful; the writing even worse. "
    Yeah okay, dude, whatever you say.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Looks generic and the graphics aren't all that good. I like the last game's grahpics better.

papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By papuccino1
    @carlthenimrod said:

" Why did you post this twice? "

I didn't. This is my blog, not a forum post. Edit: I just noticed that my blog posts are posted to the forum of the respective game. I didn't know that happened so sorry for the appearant spam.

Why do you guys think I'm trolling? I'm just stating my opinion on a game that could have been great but ended up being dumbed down for kids to play. I miss the days where you could only be cut twice and then you have to drink water or die a horrible death. The days when you have to find a lidge hidden beneath a silk curtain to continue playing and even dodge some patrolling guards while walking on the hanging on a chandelier. That's Prince of Persia. Not some hillbilly gypsie that loses his goat and has to follow a light path. Pff.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#32  Edited By Vinchenzo

I liked the recent PoP. Sorry.

SilverStardust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SilverStardust

For starters, Prince of Persia did not start with the Sands of Time trilogy, which many people seem to forget. It was considered a great series long before Sands of Time came out.

And considering some of the criticisms I see of PoP08, I have to wonder how many people have played any of the PoP games. You never died in PoP before - you rewound back to before you screwed up, or a previous checkpoint. All they did was streamline that hugely. Linearity? Have you played any of the SoT trilogy? PoP08 was, in terms of the world, actually not very linear at all. You had your choice of where to go first. The SoT games were pure linear in terms of story. And in terms of gameplay, yes, PoP08 was a linear game. So were all of the older ones. That's not anything new at all, that's simply how PoP has always played. As far as characters go, this Prince and Elika were actually very well-fleshed out. Or did you miss all of the little conversations throughout the game? Certainly more so than Sands Prince and Farah/Kaileena, in my opinion. 

And why do people still say "movie tie-in!" about Forgotten Sands? It's not, good lord, it's got absolutely nothing to do with the movie. 

Sheesh.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#34  Edited By dudacles
    I sort of hated Prince of Persia 2008, so I'm hoping this game will take the series back to what made Sands of Time and Warrior Within (which I really liked) great for me. I hope the staff review it or at least give it some attention with a Quick Look.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PureRok

I want it to be Nintendo hard.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By dbz1995

I'm pretty sure if the newest PoP came under as a completely new title, it would be praised a lot more than it is now. The problem is that it is judged under some very high quality games first off, and that it took a nearly completely different direction to its predecessors, making it almost completely unlikely for a PoP veteran to like it.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By vidiot
    @papuccino1 said:

" if you've played the last Prince of Persia game you can all agree that the game sucked."

Wow, that's a horrible way to start a topic and share an opinion.
    Pro-Tip: Don't make absolute unfounded accusations over an entire demographic of people, in this case everyone who played the last Prince of Persia game. Everyone thinks it sucks? How do you provide context for such a lofty proclamation? Surly critics are not anywhere in your logical stratosphere, Prince of Persia sits high on both GameRankings and MetaCritic. Perhaps all the critics were wrong? What of those who played Prince of Persia 2008 and enjoyed it? No? Does anyone else have say? Or are we presenting our opinion as fact

Personally: I too, am excited about the new Prince of Persia. Whether or not it will be superior to 2008's effort will be interesting to see, as the game the previous game was quite solid and well received by a lot of people. Next time form your argument better, and don't announce that your opinion serves as everyone's. It pisses people off and it looks like your trolling, personal blog post be damned. Worse, it's confusing. Provide better context to your reasons for disliking 2008's game because most of your reasons are not solid enough to stand on their own. "Cookie-cutter path laid out for you", doesn't make sense to the context of the actual game that provided a hub-world structured experience.
    MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#38  Edited By MormonWarrior

Just throwing this out there, but what's with the complaints about linearity in the 2008 PoP game? Sands of Time and its sequels were all incredibly linear, straight-path games too. To the point that while I enjoyed Sands of Time immensely, I can't ever play through it again. It's just too dull to do so.

Ubisoft has evolved that style of gameplay with Assassin's Creed, more especially the sequel (the original was pretty...well, bad). The ease is a little overplayed. Not being able to die and being easy are two different things. Death in games has become meaningless in several genres. Wario Land took death out in the second game, and the third too I believe, but it was still challenging to actually complete the levels.

Keep in mind I only played maybe an hour of the 2008 game. I plan on maybe playing it through at some point and coming to my own conclusion. Really pretty game.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ghostiet
    @xyzygy said:
    " I loved the last PoP because it felt like more of an experience than a game. I don't know. It was just stunning.  But I think this new one has the possiblity to be garbage, simply because it's tying in with the movie. And we all know how the vast majority of movie-games are -_- "
    It's not a movie tie-in. It's an interquel to the Sands of Time franchise, it's just released near the movie premiere to promote both.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By phantomzxro
    @yinstarrunner:
    I think i am more in line with your opinion i still think sands of time was the best out of the PoP games and warrior within kinda suck and two thrones tried to merge the feeling of the two which worked with mixed results. I thought the 2008 PoP was pretty fun the exporing the world was hte best part of that game and the artstyle was very refreshing. Yeah the can't die was weak but only because the overall can was a bit on the easy side. I did not care for the prince in the 2008 one even tho he is voiced by nolan north i think he had too much of a frat boy vibe then a prince in a far away land. But other they that i did enjoy the convo he with has with erika(sp) i think that was her name.  

But to your point this game is sort of going to the sands of time root which i like but i don't think the game was polish or giving a whole lot of care because they were rushing to get this out by time of the movie which make the game seem pretty meh. I also hear it is pretty short as while. I wish they toke there time and really made this a worth while return to the sands of time. But what can you expect from a sudo movie tie game.
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Illmatic

I really loved the last Prince of Persia. My only gripe was the lack of that many challenging platforming sections. I even liked the writing and voice acting in the game. I'd listen to my partner talk whenever the option came up.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By landon
    @papuccino1 said:
    " if you've played the last Prince of Persia game you can all agree that the game sucked.
    From reading the comments, I'm gonna say a lot of people don't agree with that. Your in the minority, not us.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.