Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prince of Persia

Franchise »

Prince of Persia is an action adventure series created by Jordan Mechner in the late eighties. The original was a beloved 2D platformer, while the series' later incarnation in The Sands of Time set the bar for modern platforming and continues to influence games a decade later.

They're making a new game

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By buzz_killington

Jordan Mechner said so in an interview with Joystiq. Here:

" Jordan, you filed the "Prince of Persia Prodigy" trademark awhile back, and then the "Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands" trademark more recently . Are those related to movies or games -- or both? What are those?    

Mechner: I am not sure. When you say I filed a trademark, that doesn't necessarily mean that I know I filed a trademark

Do you know if the trademarks could be for the movie, or are they related to tie-in product--something else?  

Mechner: Yeah. There is a bunch of stuff. There is a graphic novel. And with regard to games, Ubisoft Montreal, the team that I worked with on Sands of Time, is developing something new. I am not the guy that is going to make that announcement, but there is other Prince of Persia stuff in the works." 

I am so psyched. I loved the Sands of Time trilogy, and the 2008 game. If the new game is going to be associated with any one of those franchises I will be happy. My guess is that if it's actually called "The Forgotten Sands", it is going to re-visit the Sands of Time prince and him trying to find some forgotten sands(!); and it is going to nicely tie in with the movie.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BigBoss1911

If it isnt cell shaded and the prince isnt wearing a red and blue turban Ill play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It better be a sequel to the 2008 game. The ending and following Epilogue has me hungering for more.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael
    @BigBoss1911: We all knew it was coming, but still, it's nice to get a confirmation. I loved the current-gen Prince of Persia. Can't wait to see what happens in the sequel.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

The 2008 game was weak.  Then again, I have my own issues with that game.  Look, if I can get something along the same lines as Warrior Within in terms of gameplay without all the goddamn emo/hardcore bullshit, then I'd be more than fine with it all.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Andorski

Can't wait to play some more Nathan Drake of Persia!

I actually dug the art style and setting of 2008's Prince of Persia, but the combat and platforming elements were too basic to be enjoyable.  If they revamp those aspects of the game, then I'm all for a sequel.

buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By buzz_killington
    @jakob187:
    I went back to the Sands of Time games after playing the 2008 game, and it turns out the original Sands of Time has aged the best, while Warrior Within hasn't aged well at all. And those garbage-ass emo/Arabian guitar riffs that were the game's "musical score" really pissed me off; specially since both the original Sands of Time and the 2008 game had such amazing scores.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael
    @jakob187 said:
    "Look, if I can get something along the same lines as Warrior Within in terms of gameplay without all the goddamn emo/hardcore bullshit, then I'd be more than fine with it all. "
    Dude, no. Sands of Time and Two Thrones were great, but I couldn't even bring myself to finish Warrior Within. So terrible.
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By buzz_killington

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.