Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prince of Persia

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Dec 02, 2008

A 2008 entry into the Prince of Persia franchise titled simply "Prince of Persia", this game stars an all-new Prince as he teams up with the mysterious Elika to fight Ahriman and cleanse the world of his corruption.

A feel-good-game

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Regal

Well, just finished this amazing game and I have to say that my expectations where met and exceeded. I remember playing Sands of time, or SOT as we the kids called it, and it grabbed me by the balls and didn't let go until the very last scene when the Prince slides down the palm tree and dissapear into the djungle.

And dissapear he did because the games that followed weren't really sequels, I remember following the development in warrior within, and the idea was "go darker" which I was totally behind, in the first wallpaper they had the same prince from SOT wielding those two swords that would later end up in the game. But sometime thereafter, there was some kind of mindshift at Ubi and the old prince was scrapped, they radically changed his face, they changed his haircolour, his physic and they even changed the voice actor. They threw everything out from the previous prince and sewerd the ties story wise to the sands of time, now they've said it would be a trilogy, so the cop-out explenation was that "uh yeah, it is several years after and he had a hard life so he is a different person now (yes literally different, new face, new body, new voice)" and most importantly, the POP magic was gone, replaced with Linkin Park emoness with no soul, I played WW demo and it didnt do anything for me.

The series was dead and I never played the games that followed.

The thing SOT had that the sequels lost is that SOT was a feel-good-game, it wasn't that challenging, it was relaxing to look at, the right lenght and a simple but engaging story that kept you thinking. The acrobatics made you look cool and the Prince arrogance and exchanges with Farah made you chuckle all the way through.

And I'm glad to say that the sands of time prince is back in the new prince of persia. The new POP is too, a feel-good-game. Its beatufil to look at, it has interesting characters and you want to see them develop and the gameplay flow smoothly and is almost soothing or teraputic.

Some games are sometime a shore, they may be fun but most often than not they are not playable when you are tired ang coming home from work/school. POP is more of a lean back and soak in the scenery kind of game and there are way to few.

So for the sequel, go darker this time but do it right, keep the prince and Erika, but don't loose the magic, the mystery and the innocence if you will, don't go for the stupid fake edgy emo style where you went wrong the last time, and this might actaully be the most enjoyable trilogy this generation.

And woah that ending was something else.
    The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Ish
    Regal said:
    sewerd 
    ಠ_ಠ

I've been playing it sparingly because it's so easy. This new PoP certainly feels different from the other ones because everything feels less static, they were no longer concerned with realism as much and I think they did the right thing. Everything moves much more fluidly now, even climbing across ledges. A lot of people complain that the new death mechanic makes the game too easy, but they forget that PoP since it's debut into the 3D has always been an easy game at heart. It doesn't take a lot of brainpower to figure out where to go. All the developers did was speed up the whole process of failing by not forcing you to go back to the menu screen if you die too much.

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Regal

severed :p

And yeah I agree, the death is just more streamlined, in the half life games you practically had no death either since you can fast save and load at any moment, that game is more forgiving that way. Why send you back to the menu and make you load? the challange shouldnt come from being frustrated at loading sequences.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I had the same feeling after beating the game , It was an amazing experience

ezdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ezdude

Finally people not hating on the game!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

This new POP is my favorite so far, but after that it's Warrior Within. That game was cool, and the change was understandable. Let's see you prance around after being chased for 7 years.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By elbow

Yes, I'd consider it a very pleasent surprise, along the lines of Battlefield Bad Company, as games that totally surprised me with the quality that they had. Well worth the money and definately a game to recommend!

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Bass

I would imagine its a feel good game because you can string together these combos with ease, and traverse the scenery with such smooothness in just a few button presses. It can be satisfying to have such a fluid experience not ruined by excessive difficulty.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By atejas

It's a relaxing, beautiful game, not a challenging game.
    It's excellent to play on a slow day, but they still should've just made it a new franchise instead of bastardizing PoP's.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Rowr

Games dont have to be hard to be fun.

At least not for me.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince
    atejas said:
    "It's a relaxing, beautiful game, not a challenging game.
    It's excellent to play on a slow day, but they still should've just made it a new franchise instead of bastardizing PoP's."

I'm tired of people calling this game bastardized. This game has way more Persian elements then the previous ones. The only things Persian in the previous trilogy was essentially the building structures.
    elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By elbow
    Rowr said:
    "Games dont have to be hard to be fun.

At least not for me.
    "
    Amen brother! There's nothing more that I hate than a game that's too hard. I play video games to relax, not get incredably frustrated with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.