Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prince of Persia

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Dec 02, 2008

A 2008 entry into the Prince of Persia franchise titled simply "Prince of Persia", this game stars an all-new Prince as he teams up with the mysterious Elika to fight Ahriman and cleanse the world of his corruption.

Too easy???

scumble373

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By scumble373

It seems to me that  the new prince of persia game is going to be too easy, i mean come on, I heard that when you miss a ledge she just grabs your hand and pulls you back up!  I think im also going to miss the constent hoards of enemies that you killed in previous Pop games   with the 1vs1 fighting  (technically 2vs1)  Im not sure im gonna like this game. What do you think?  Is this game going to be too easy???

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Keeng

I still haven't played it but I'm almost certain the game will be really good. My favorite parts of the last generation PoP games were the combat parts and the endgame platforming segments because of their difficulty so I think you and I might be in the same boat. However, this game does still look like it'll deliver the fun of the older games even if it's not as challenging. I watched the Game Trailers review and they said it was "made with the casual player in mind".

Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Unreal_dro

every review has said the game holds your hand too much. you basically cant die in the platforming parts . if you fall, the chick grabs you and pulls you back to where you were.  and Even during combat, to block/counter the game just SHOWS you a huge button on the screen telling you when to press and what to press.  thats like saying "Press me to WIN".

Just rent it and save 60$.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422

Of course it is, its kinda been what its touted to be purposely for a while. Basically it comes down to this, regardless of how enjoyable the game could be, if anyone is one of those players where you want a challenge, I doubt you'll be into PoP at all.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Bioshock was easy, but still awesome.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "Bioshock was easy, but still awesome."
    yeah but this is a different kind of easy, in Bioshock, you could turn the difficulty up or down, and bioshock on higher difficulties, was still easy to die...but you didn't feel much of a penalty if you had the chambers turned on, since you just restart from there, in PoP you can't ever die, ever..it does like a 3 second animation and just brings you back to your last part if you fall(which checkpoints are usually like, 1 platform away from each other) or just straight up doesn't allow an enemy to kill you. Really I think the gameplay looks kinda fun, but since it has no real replay value, I'm just gameflying it. As I said though, if someone thinks they are gonna get a challenge out of this, or can't stand games that don't give you a challenge, this really isn't your game. Pretty sure you can't even select difficulty levels.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoG

Though you did "die" in BioShock, you were revived seconds later, the only penalty being the necessity to walk back to wherever it was you were. Prince of Persia's death is similar, but instead of making you walk back, you're pulled back up. Fable II has a similar system: once your life runs out, you're knocked down, lose experience, and get back up. I'm not so sure I love games becoming easier, but the general trend in the industry is straying away from killing the player.
    I also feel the BioShock comparison is invalid, considering many elements of Prince of Persia that we are aware of. Prince of Persia is an adventure/platforming title, and enemy encounters are cinematic and limited. BioShock, on the other hand, is an action first person shooter. To ramp up the difficulty in Prince of Persia would be a difficult task, as it would require either increasing the number of enemies (which would contradict their design philosophy) or making the encounters longer and harder (That's what Elika said) which, from what I have read, would only make things more tedious. Increasing BioShock's difficulty level is quite simple, make the player's abilities less effective, make enemies stronger and more numerous.
    One thing we all must realize is how different games can be from one another. I'd be the first to declare blasphemy if Konami were to announce Contra 5, and planned to make it a much more accessible game where the player never died. As the industry expands, we'll likely see more varied methods of handling life and death in games, and it is for our benefit. Some games truly aren't about repetition, defeat, and punishment. True, it is a staple of the art form that all of us are very accustomed to, but open your mind a bit, and you might find yourself enjoying games that aren't so challenge. Don't get me wrong, I love a good challenge, and quite often begin games on higher difficulty levels. I can, however, enjoy games for whatever they bring to the table, and if teeth-grinding difficulty only holds a game back, then it isn't necessary. Let's play games before we deem them unfit (or, on the contrary, fit, making me the bad guy).

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By atejas

Well said, BoG.
    Honestly, I don't care about it being impossible to die, I'll still just try to get past with no deaths.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By TomA

I don't know why but I have next to no interest for this game,the other Prince of Persia games were so awesome and it seems like they changed this one alot from what I think was a great formula..

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By trulyalive

I'll buy and like PoP because it looks like a well made game but this trend of accesibility is getting on my nerves on the whole.
    Fable II had no punishment for death. You lost a slight amount fo experience, but if you can't die to begin with, who cares about the experience?
    I had major issues with Gears 2 difficulty as well. I'm happy for them to make the Easy and Normal difficulties easier but even Hardcore and Insane were too accesible for my liking. I crave punishment for fucking up and when games don't just ignore the punishment, but make it practically impossible to fuck up, it feels like someone is holding my hand. I think that's why in Gears, I prefer the multi-player, because I'm against people who think and make the experience so much more fulfilling when they rip me a new one.

For most games, the solution is giving players more options. How hard do you want the game to be. I see the problems with such a system in Prince of Persia so will have to take that game as it is. But I hope developers begin to look at different ways to approach the situation.

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By bagmanforhire

Theirs really only one thing you need to ask yourself "is it fun",  easy or not as long as it is fun i don't care and from what i have played its awesome

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By efrucht

After playing the game for a couple of hours, I really have come to like the Elika-saves. Falling from a ledge and having to replay an entire section is not fun or challenging, it's boring and annoying. Elika keeps the game moving forward, which is just what I want.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I absolutely Loved this version Of Prince of Persia  more than any other  and embraced the changes with open arms . the fact that there is no penalty for death makes the game special and let you immerse in the game even more .

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By elbow
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By Keeng

Elika appears to basically be a quasi checkpoint. She's a character to there's a whole immersion aspect to consider, but her pulling you up is just the game's checkpoint mechanic. The ease of the game come from the non-Elika handholding; the giant button when you can counter, the scratch marks on the wall, the blatantly extended gaps for when you need Elika to help you jump. Like I said before, I could use more challenge, but the game is still great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.