Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 24, 2009

The second adventure for Professor Hershel Layton and his helpful assistant Luke. They must solve riddles to reveal the mystery surrounding a box that seemingly kills whoever opens it. In Europe, the game was released as "Professor Layton and Pandora's Box"

Diabolical

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By RenegadeSaint

I finished Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box today and I can't help but feel disappointed. The game is every bit as good as its predecessor, but it just didn't grab me. I really think it comes down to the novelty factor. The original game was just that, original. This one is just more of the same. Not far into it, I got sick of tapping the screen, solving simple math problems, and trying to decipher sometimes ridiculous puzzle instructions. There are clearly a lot of people out there who love this style of game and want more, hence the multiple sequels, but I'm not one of them. GB just put up a QL of the newest 3DS game, so I'll check that out to see if things have evolved, but I have a pretty strong feeling I won't be returning to the land of Layton any time soon.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RenegadeSaint

I finished Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box today and I can't help but feel disappointed. The game is every bit as good as its predecessor, but it just didn't grab me. I really think it comes down to the novelty factor. The original game was just that, original. This one is just more of the same. Not far into it, I got sick of tapping the screen, solving simple math problems, and trying to decipher sometimes ridiculous puzzle instructions. There are clearly a lot of people out there who love this style of game and want more, hence the multiple sequels, but I'm not one of them. GB just put up a QL of the newest 3DS game, so I'll check that out to see if things have evolved, but I have a pretty strong feeling I won't be returning to the land of Layton any time soon.

MstrMnyBgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MstrMnyBgs

Not sure what you expected from a Layton game. If you say you dont like the tapping of the screen and solving the puzzles then why even buy it? That is the sole foundation of it. It's like saying you don't like Diablo 2 because of the loot, but you are planning on buying Diablo 3.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Thoseposers

What interests me the most in the professor layton games is always the characters and the story and less so the puzzles. For most of the games there has always been some sort of emotional climax that i've always enjoyed, except for in the last specter, and that's what i look forward to. I can understand if you're tired of the puzzles since the games are basically all the same thing. If you don't mind playing through another game i would highly recommend Unwound Future because the story is the best in that one in my opinion :)

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Akrid

Both Layton and Phoenix Wright kind of messed up their series' potential pretty early on as far as I'm concerned. They're the kind of games that a lot of people would like enough to really want a second helping pretty quickly, but thirds and fourths? A bit much. Gotta drip it out, make 'em wait! It's the only way to make people excited again about what will inevitably be roughly the same experience.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RenegadeSaint

@Akrid: I never did check out the Phoenix Wright series. I like the idea of the unconventional gameplay, but I get the feeling I'd experience the fatigue exactly as you described.

@Thoseposers: I agree with you for the most part. I feel like the story kind of pulls you in towards the end and always has a surprisingly heartfelt conclusion. Perhaps I'll grab Unwound Future some day when I'm ready for some more puzzling.

@MstrMnyBgs: I think you misunderstood my point. I loved the first Layton game and I knew this was probably going to be more of the same, but I was okay with that before I started. However, I was saddened when I realized that I don't want more of the same. It's tough to say if my gaming goals and my entire life have just changed too much (I am the busiest I've ever been in my life as a second year surgical resident) or if the gameplay really is a one-trick pony. Either way, the fact that I am so disappointed speaks more to the sheer joy I experienced with the first title and not the quality of this one, if that makes any sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.