Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Kyouju VS Gyakuten Saiban) is a crossover game for the 3DS starring Capcom's Phoenix Wright and Level-5's Professor Layton.

This finally got a US release date: Aug 29 (OUT NOW!)

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By Forcen
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I find the fact that this hasn't been released in the US yet to be stupefying

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Finally, I can play the crossover people who knew Japanese were sort of ambivalent about when it came out over there like two years ago!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: It's better than Phoenix Wright 5, if that means anything.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@bocam said:

I very much doubt I'll agree with that in the end.

But hell yes, we finally get a date. Looking forward to more AA goodness.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bocam

@fluxwavez: I think I liked the 3D models better in verses (minus Phoenix) as well as the lack of Apollo.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Wait, this isn't in US? It's amazing.

@bocam said:

I very much doubt I'll agree with that in the end.

But hell yes, we finally get a date. Looking forward to more AA goodness.

I agree with it being better than dual destinies, that's with me being completely indifferent to layton. I don't think Phoenix's 3D model is good but everything else is better.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Grabbing it now super psyched for this one. I must say first while I love both series I fell off the Layton series hard and haven't played any of the 3ds games. I'm primarily getting this cause of my love for Phoenix Wright and just wanted to show support for the franchise so we can see more of the games come out over here in the future. Hopefully if this game does well we might see Miles Edgeworth 2 "officially" come out in the states.

Game came out at midnight on the east coast but is available now on the eShop for people on the west coast at 9 pm.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Definitely picking this up tomorrow. I thought Dual Destinies was great, so if this really is better, I guess I'm in for a treat. It's a great time to be an obsessive Ace Attorney fan.

DiamondDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Got this a few months ago, as I'm in Europe. Its a good game, I wouldn't say its as good as Dual Destinies, but well worth playing. One criticism I would make is that the two gameplay types never really converge in interesting ways, save for a few times. Its much more of a Layton game than a PW IMO.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Got this a few months ago, as I'm in Europe. Its a good game, I wouldn't say its as good as Dual Destinies, but well worth playing. One criticism I would make is that the two gameplay types never really converge in interesting ways, save for a few times. Its much more of a Layton game than a PW IMO.

I'm actually kind of finding that out right now. I just started it up and I found myself going where the heck is the phoenix wright portion? I'm about an hour and a half in and besides the opening scene with Mia and Phoenix there really has been no sight of them. I could also be wrong but it seems like on the Layton portion of the game the frequency of side puzzles compared to a normal size Layton game is rather small. I know in some areas in the full size Layton games there may be a few puzzles found by just looking around but in this one there's been whole areas I've been to with just one puzzle used to advance the story.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Embarrassingly got stuck on the first puzzle for like ten minutes. Used two hint coins. I don't wanna talk about it.

Phoenix's voice is bad. Pretty bad.

superkebabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any suggestions on where I should start with either of these franchises?

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@superkebabi said:

Any suggestions on where I should start with either of these franchises?

The Phoenix Wright trilogy (first three Ace Attorney games) is coming to 3DS in a few months, and there's an iOS version out right now. You can also get WiiWare ports of those games for $10 bucks each, I think. They're just blown-up versions of the DS games, but they work just fine.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Embarrassingly got stuck on the first puzzle for like ten minutes. Used two hint coins. I don't wanna talk about it.

No way. His voice is way better than in Dual Destinies. It's just so... anime.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spunkyhepanda said:

His objection is weak. Weak!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember being super excited for this game when it was first announced, because it meant more Phoenix Wright, but then they sat on their ass until a proper AA sequel was announced and released, at which point this game lost its luster. I'll probably pick this up at some point, because I love Phoenix Wright that much, but Dual Destinies already gave me what I really wanted and there's too much else coming out right now.

I'm glad they actually did release the game, but it really should have happened sooner.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat said:

@spunkyhepanda said:

His objection is weak. Layton's is way better.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I almost bought this, but apparently I'd have to delete most of the stuff on my SD card to play it. Is it actually out in a retail fashion, or is it digital only the same way Dual Destinies was?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

@alistercat said:

@spunkyhepanda said:
    @alistercat said:

@spunkyhepanda said:

His objection is weak. Layton's is way better.

I personally like Trevor White's voice for Phoenix more than Sam Riegel from Dual Destinies. His objection may not be intense enough for some people but at the very least his voice sounds unique to the character. It's not a standard anime dub performance that is heard in most Japanese to English localizations.

I'm about 5 hours into the game and I am really enjoying myself, here's hoping it continues to be this entertaining throughout.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

@bocam said:

@arbitrarywater: digital only in the us

No, the game was published by Nintendo this time around so it is available digitally as well as physically. I'm holding the box in my hand right now!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

@arbitrarywater: digital only in the us

No, the game was published by Nintendo this time around so it is available digitally as well as physically. I'm holding the box in my hand right now!

Oh I got this confused with the Trilogy 3DS game, my bad.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Quantris

I'm a bit of a sucker for anything AA related.

Not very far in yet (middle of second chapter) but so far it's pretty enjoyable. Layton sections seem a bit slower paced (I tend to explore a lot in Layton games), and the story so far seems to be framed from the Layton perspective, which both may contribute to the feeling that it is "more of a Layton game".

I was pretty happy with the PW sections I saw so far, and I don't think it's such a problem that the gameplay types are kept fairly separate (as long as the characters get to interact with each other). And there are touches of PW "tone" in the Layton sections too, specifically the sound effects when people are talking as well as characters having off-the-wall "punctuation" animations during dialogue. So I appreciated those little touches.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.