By CrazyRah 0 Comments
First of i'd like to wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year. Hope that 2013 will be as awesome as it possbily can be! For me personally 2012 have been a very special year with all the dissappointments but also some very unexpected pieces of awesome and i can't wait to see what 2013 will bring to the table. So far 2013 is full of titles that i'm keeping an eye at, maybe it can even triumph over the last few years. The layout of this blog i got from PhatSeeJay
So what games did i look forward to the most this year?
What game lived up to my anticipation the best?
Mass Effect 3 (6th) - Let me start off with saying that we all have our own opinions about the game, the endings and so much more. I personally got huge issues with the endings and some other things but when i look back to what the game delivered i got to admit it lived up to my anticipation the best. I got a few wishes, l wish that i hadn't played ME3 before the Extended Cut was released, perhaps even Leviathan. It would've made a lot of difference.
The game got one real saving grace and that's the FemShep initiative. I was deeply involved with what happened and the addition the new "default" Jane was huge, as was the first FemShep trailer which i'll always appreciate!
The largest disappointment
Diablo 3 - I really enjoyed Diablo 2 and it was with great anticipation i looked forward to Diablo 3 but instead of building on what already existed with the franchise it feel like Diablo 3 went so wrong! The forced online, even if you play singleplayer you're forced to always be online! That alone is just too much! Not to speak of the just awful connection at the start..
To the game itself, the fighting wasn't bad but it just didn't feel as much fun as the previous installments did. The story in the game is just rubbish and i completed the game once on singleplayer but got bored when i re-did it on multiplayer. Both me and my friend was just not interested anymore. Sadly the game just didn't deliver at all and it's my largest disappointment of 2012.
Place 10 - 8
10. Hitman: Absolution - I did enjoy the new direction of Hitman quite a bit. Not as grande as the previous games but i did have a lot of fun regardless
09. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Some really excellent gameplay and i've never been so interested in the Transformer universe as i was when i played it
08. FTL: Faster Than Light - This game got me so engaged with the prospect of commanding my own ship with my own crew. Spent countless of hours with it!
Spec Ops: The Line - It started of with me hearing some of my friends talking about a shooter that had a really deep story. Could this really be true? I bought the game and played it for myself and there's just no way i could've been expecting it to hit me like this. Spec Ops decided to show me just how horrible war can be and after the epilogue i felt like a really bad human being and i was a bit disgusted with what i'd done. No game ever before managed to make me despise my actions like the way Spec Ops did. The story took my attention unlike any other shooter and it returned it to me when it thought i might've understood some really horrible stuff. I can't say how unexpected this title was for me and i'm so very happy that i took time to play it
Not to mention that the graphics and the characters in the game is really solid and just evolve the title a bit further. Dubai is really a terrifying place in this game
Place 7 - 5
07. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - The excitment of earning a headshot with a javelin or chooping of a head is amazing. This title is a good time sink
06. Mass Effect 3 - I might hate the endings but it was still a good ride and the game got the Tuchanka arc which is some of the best story ever told
05. Journey - This game blew me away completely. I still miss that friend that sadly got taken away from me by an evil dragon
Mass Effect 3 - If there's one part where this game excelled at then it's the soundtrack. The soundtracks that we got from this game is almost all of them remarkable and worth remebering. My personal favorite is "Stand Strong Stand Together" but "I'm Proud of you" and "I'm Sorry" all grab me and make me look at Mass Effect 3 with pleasant memories. I will keep listening to these tracks long after i've quit playing any Mass Effect game.
Journey is a close second here, the soundtracks in that game is beyond what most games are even close to reach. If you can't play the game then at least lend some time to listen to some really amazing soundtracks
Place 4 - 2
04. Spec Ops: The Line - This game showed that shooters can have really deep story and they aren't all just something Hollywood spit out on an afternoon
03. XCOM: Enemy Unknown - I've never cared more about any soldiers before or since i played this game. R.I.P Simone "Wolverine" Durand, i'll remember you
02. Crusader Kings 2 - A medieval strategy game that devoured more time this year than any other game. Taking my dynasty to the top is a challenge i savour.
Character of the year
Clementine - Clem did what no child managed before in games for me. She made me care about her, she made me willing to go through anything to keep her safe. There're absolutely nothing that i wouldn't do for her safety. She will always have a special place in my heart and she helped me grow as a human. I managed to take responsibility over a child. I will always love her and the development of her character and her bond with Lee is something that i've never experienced before. She was my greatest light in a really dark world. I love you Clem and i'm so proud of you. Keep that hair short will you and stay awesome!
The Walking Dead is full of amazing characters and my second choice on this list would be Kenny. A more loyal hot head you'll have to look far and wide for but he was with me for longer than i had any right to even dream of.
Game of the year 2012
The Walking Dead - It's without any shadow of a doubt my GOTY. It's the first game that made me me actually cry real tears. It managed to achive so much that i never thought a would see a game do this year. It created a fantastic group of characters that i all adore in their own way (except Larry) Not only that but the game continiously threw hard decisions my way and i had to make hard choices that i didn't think i would do in a game. Telltale managed to create really exciting and living world that was full of a wide range of scenery. Telltale managed to open a door into my heart that i didn't know existed and i will always be grateful for what they managed to achive in this game.
I can't wait for season 2! If it's even half as good as season 1 i'm thrilled. For Clem!