By Geekcore 1 Comments
1. The Bombcast - This is the podcast that got me into podcasts. It's the four main guys that run Giantbomb--Ryan Davis , Vinny Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, and Jeff Gerstmann. They follow the basic setup of most videogame podcasts: whacha been playing, news, new releases, and fan emails. The main thing that makes this podcast standout is that all four casters have a crap load of personality. These are four guys that I look forward to listening to every week. I don't listen to the Bombcast to waste time, I listen to the Bombcast because it's two hours of sweet videogame nerdery, and while they are prone to get off topic, it's always for the best. My wife likes to listen to these guys and she doesn't care about games.
2. 1up's Retronauts - This podcast is for a very particular type of gamer; it focuses on retro games, which is the cool term for old games. Retronauts dedicated a whole podcast to the Virtual Boy...That's right, the effing Virtual Boy and it's entire catalog of seventeen games (I think it's seventeen). This a old man gamer's podcast. Interested in old NES games like Ducktales? Want to know about Master Blaster's storied history? If so, this podcast is for you. The lead caster Jeremy Parish (check out his Megaman knit cap) may seem monotone at first; but, like a rash, he grows on you, and his knowledge of games will impress you.
3. IGN's Girlfight - What's the hook? It's just a normal videogame podcast but from an all girl perspective. If you listen to many videogame podcasts, then you will quickly find out how male driven the whole industry is. This podcast changes that up. They discuss games from World of Warcraft and God of War 3 to Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing. Many may expect something overtly sexual from an all female podcast, but their expectations would be incorrect. This is a podcast for people who like games and are interested to hear some girls talk about who they choose to have a relationship with in Mass Effect 2.
4. 1up's Active Time Babble - Much like Retronauts, this podcast is for a certain type of gamer--the RPG type that is. In ATB, (campy title in the best possible way) they discuss classic and modern RPGs. Interested in MMORPGs? Check. Western RPGs? Check. Japanese RPGs? Check. Pen and paper RPGs? Check. Much like Retronauts, this podcast is headed up by Kat Baily and he is just a smooth and understated as in Retronauts. If you like hearing people talk about if Zelda should be classified as an RPG, then listen to this podcast.
5. IGN's Beyond - Do you at all feel like a Sony fanboy? If you do, then Beyond is here to support you in you fanboyism. This podcast is loaded with trophy whoring, PSP playing, PS3 fanboys ready to nerdgasm over any Sony exclusive game. The best part is they aren't trying to hide how much they love their Sony products. The Beyond crew write for IGN's PS3 division and they love the Sony brand. This Podcast is standout for the casters' personalities--they're funny, full of energy, and constantly reminding you how your Xbox 360 can break at any second.
Note: I love A Life Well Wasted, but it comes out so rarely that I just left it off the list.