By get2sammyb 2 Comments
Quantum Of Solace is obviously the latest Bond game to tie in with the new movie. It's out on just about every system you could imagine, ever.
What I liked:
- Quantum Of Solace uses the Call Of Duty 4 engine. That means every bullet feels ultra satisfying, the multiplayer matchmaking algorithm is wonderful and everything just feels smooth as fuck in the gameplay.
- The cover system is well implemented - you'll be able to run towards any nearby walls and snap Bond behind them allowing for some pop-and-shoot gameplay. You'll need to use the cover too if you want to survive as the game has been tweaked with this in mind. The levels are well designed to include enough unique spaces to hide behind.
- Early on in the game some of the environments look phenomonal. Bright, colourful and exaggerated. I'd almost like to say it has a lovely look to it but... well it only looks great sometimes.
- The train level was better than most Goldeneye levels. When you race to jump across the seperating train, run through the rain and watch Daniel Craig's clothes drip when in cover -- it looks brilliant and the level has some awesome set pieces.
- The Golden Gun multiplayer mode is great fun. This mode has players competing to takedown the person with the Golden Gun.
- The "poisoned Bond" mission. While gimmicky it was fun controlling Bond's journey from the card game in Casino Royale to the defib in his car. Some of the visual effects are impressive.
What I didn't like:
- Single player is ridiculously short. You'll literally only spend about 4 or 5 hours completing the single player portion of the game. Thankfully the hardest difficulty is particularly tough so will keep you occupied for some time.
- To boot the single player is relatively linear. There is usually only one route you can take and while the missions are generally well put together; passaged blocked by boxes or strips of fire are particularly "video gamey".
- The multiplayer mode "Bond Versus" is too drawn out and frustrating. In this mode one player is Bond, trying to defuse two bombs while all the other players work as a team to take Bond out. Everyone has a turn as Bond and given each round can be 5 minutes long, it's... well... irritating.
- The graphics in cutscenes and later levels are horrendous. In the final level I questioned whether I was playing the Playstation 2 version of the game. Clearly more attention was paid in the earlier levels.
- The story is tied together by a series of debriefing sequences that become a little muddled throughout.
- The title of the game is misleading. Most of the missions in the game are from Casino Royale.
Overall, Quantum Of Solace is definitely a solid shooter. It fails to ever make you feel like Bond and has it's ups and downs in the graphical stakes but if you're happy to overlook the length of the game there is plenty of fun to be had from the competent shooting mechanics and multiplayer modes.