Yet another medical update note thingy, as well as other stuff. We'll see how it goes.
As far as the medical stuff, it's a challenge. I have two orthopedic surgeons trying to diagnose my situation. I saw one of them a week or so ago. His basic tactic is to wait it out. He wants me to come back in 4 months (approx. August), and get another scan done. The scan I had with him earlier showed the muscle/bone death, loss of blood supply, and that my Talus (weight-bearing bone) is hollow. So, there's a STRONG likelihood that if I walk normally, the bone will shatter, and that is completely irreversible. Mind you, he wants to wait 4 months, on the extremely slim chance that blood will come back to the bone, and it'll heal.
To be fair, I don't put a lot of stock in this approach. It's been 14 months already, since I've been able to walk normally, and 15, without pain. Having to wait 4 more months (at the earliest) is depressing, to say the least. This past year has already been incredibly hard on me, and considering some of you know what I've previously gone through in years before, that is saying a lot. I don't want to waste another year, sitting on my butt, while life continues to pass me even further behind.
My other doctor, who I saw yesterday, painted a semi more optimistic picture. He agreed that a 4 month wait time is a bit ridiculous, and he wants to move ahead with a treatment option. His earlier treatment ideas were, bone grafting, bone cement, and then ankle fusion. He later decided ankle fusion would probably be best, but he's being held up by the first doctor. He wants to come to a consensus about what my treatment should be, before acting on it. The first guy is a podiatrist (foot/ankle) doctor, while the second doctor is just a general orthopedic surgeon. So, I'm going to go back in two weeks, to see the 2nd guy, and hopefully he'll have worked something out with the first guy.
1. My Archos player is decent. I wish it had a much longer battery, but so far, it hasn't conked out on me, yet. I get about 5 to 7 hours with it, continuous playing. It has a few technical problems here and there, but I still like it.
2. Next month, we're buying an air conditioner. Hopefully it'll keep the apartment cool, since this place is not fun during the summer.
3. I am exceedingly tired right now.
4. I wish I had better pain medication. I'm currently on 60mg of long-acting Morphine, and 15mg of short-acting Morphine. They do the job "ok", but they don't make me feel good really. They just take the ache out of my leg, but I still feel pained.
5. I'm very excited for Dr. Who coming up on tv. It's one of the few reasons I've been able to hold out as long as I have.
Ah well, that's enough of my meandering for now. Drop a line, if you wish it.