By Izzyjam 409 Comments
Currently: Turn 8 Phase 2 (Movement)
Awaiting action from: Make_Me_Mad, Resident4t, Angelfan91, + 1 New Player
(Movement phase! Remember that there is a snow storm going on, so you get 1 less movement point!
Carolyn is still unspoken for - if you're interested in jumping in, feel free to do so and post a set of valid movements for Carolyn!)
A gate to the Great Hall of Celano has appeared by the Historical Society building! A Cultist and a Nightgaunt have been spotting near the gate.
The investigators feel a sense of dread as two more clues to the horrors of Arkham disappear into the aether!
The Star Spawn moves towards Pete in the French Hill streets.
The Cultist notices Harvey on the streets outside of the Historical Society, and moves in for an attack!
Icy Conditions put the Arkham streets on lockdown, making it more difficult to move about town.
The cold weather seems to have put a stop to the strange plague.
Something is amiss in the Silver Twilight Lodge. A clue has appeared there!
Rumors of the terrible experiment continue to spread through Arkham!
These rumors currently invove 1 monsters: a Ghost
TomWhitbrook is now the First Player.
Pete sneaks pass the Star Spawn and arrives at the Miskatonic University streets.
Amanda braves the snow and heads to Arkham Asylum.
Joe moves to Independence Square.
Jenny mutters a few words, and her right hand begins to glow with a comforting green glow. She touches her left arm and is healed, just a bit, for the moment.
- Jenny continues to explore the Plateau.
Vincent can still feel the curse working its terrible magic upon him.
Carolyn moves into the Miskatonic University streets.
- After spending some time among the student populace, Carolyn is intrigued about the strange rumours floating around campus. Tales of ghosts and odd cults are abundant, and a rational woman such as herself would normally dismiss such things, the horrors she has already faced warn her that there could be some credibility to these stories. She searches the campus for any events that seem unnatural, and quickly finds several disturbing truths about this place...
- Carolyn handily dispatches the Cultist, the Dimensional Shambler, and the Formless Spawn.
Currently: Turn 8 Phase 2 (Movement)
Awaiting action from: Make_Me_Mad, Resident4t, Angelfan91, + 1 New Player
The Ancient One:
Azathoth, the blind god, asleep at the centre of creation
Doom Track: 4 / 14
3 gates are currently opened.
Azathoth will awaken when his doom track fills to 14, or when 5 gates are opened simultaneously.
(There are other conditions too, but these two are the most relevent at this point)
The Investigators (First player of the turn bolded and underlined):
1. Izzyjam - Playing as Amanda Sharpe, a student haunted by disturbing dreams
2. Driadon - Playing the part of Joe Diamond, a tough-on-luck private eye
3. WitchHunter_Z - In the role of Jenny Barnes, the rich dilettante in search of her lost sister
4. Make_Me_Mad - Starring as the brilliant scientist Kate Winthrop
5. Resident4t - As Professor Harvey Walters, who came across distrubing findings in his research
6. Angelfan91 - As Doctor Vincent Lee, who has seen things much too dark, much too offen
7. - Playing as Carolyn Fern, a psychologist with disturbed patients
8. TomWhitbrook - Stars "Ashcan" Pete, a drifter, with only his dog Duke for comfort
(Please note that we're playing with only the basic game. The "Personal Stories" in the character pages don't apply!)
Current Possessions and Statuses:
$1, .45 Automatic, Enchant Weapon, Marksman
Trophies: Formless Spawn, High Priest, Maniac
.45 Automatic, Sword of Glory, Expert Occultist
Trophies: Chthonian, Ghoul, Gate to R'lyeh
$18, 7 Clue Tokens, Rifle, Map of Arkham, Cultes des Goules, Heal(exhausted), Voice of Ra, Enchant Weapon, Bravery
Trophies: Elder Thing, Hound of Tindalos, Cultist
$2, 4 Clue Tokens, .38 Recolver, Enchanted Knife, Deputy's Revolver, Patrol Wagon, Shrivelling, Luck
Silver Twilight Lodge Membership
Deputy of Arkham
1 Clue Token, Tommy Gun, Wither, Red Sign of Shudde M'ell(exhausted)
Trophies: Ghoul, Vampire, Byakhee, Elder Thing, Shoggoth
$1, 1 Clue Token, Necronomicon, Mists of Releh, Find Gate, Speed
$8, 1 Clue Token, Enchanted Blade, Ancient Tablet, .18 Derringer, Research Materials, Motorcycle, Nameless Cults, Sneak
$1, 5 Clue Tokens, Duke(ally), Axe, Stealth
Trophies: Cultist, Gug, Hound of Tindalos, Gate to Yuggoth
Locations, starting at the first White (Downtown) area at the top left of the board, going clockwise:
--Bank Loan: Instead of having an encounter here, you may take out a Bank Loan if you don't have one yet.
--Psychiatric Care: Instead of having an encounter here, you may recover sanity by receiving psychiatric care. You may either regain 1 Sanity for free, or pay $2 to restore your Sanity to its maximum value.
--Deputized: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 10 toughness worth of monster trophies, 2 gate trophies, or 5 toughness worth of monster trophies and 1 gate trophy to become the Deputy of Arkham. Take the Deputy of Arkham card.
--Shop: Instead of having an encounter here, you may draw 3 Common Items and purchase one of them for its list price. Discard the other two items.
The Witch House
Silver Twilight Lodge
--Inner Sanctum: If you have a Silver Twilight Membership, then you look at the Inner Sanctum entry when having encounters here.
Ma's Boarding House
--Recruit:Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 10 toughness worth of monster trophies, 2 gate trophies, or 5 toughness worth of monster trophies and 1 gate trophy to take any 1 Ally of your choice from the Ally deck.
--Blessing: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or 1 gate trophy to have any investigator you choose be Blessed.
Ye Olde Magick Shoppe
--Magic Lessons: Instead of having an encounter here, you may pay $5 to draw 2 Spells. Keep one of them and discard the other.
St. Mary's Hospital
--Medical Care: Instead of having an encounter here, you may recover Stamina by receiving medical care. You may either regain 1 Stamina for free, or pay $2 to restore your Stamina to its maximum value.
--Classes: Instead of having an encounter here, you may pay $8 to draw 2 Skills. Keep one of them and discard the other.
--Dissection: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or 1 gate trophy to gain 2 clue tokens.
--Shady Character: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or 1 gate trophy to gain $5.
--Shop: Instead of having an encounter here, you may draw 3 Unique Items and purchase one of them for its list price. Discard the other two items.
Also don't forget to check out the wiki site for tons of info!
Blood Magic is in Effect.
Amanda moves from the Bank of Arkham to the Newspaper.
- Flipping through the early edition, you are surprised to see that one of the classified ads begins with your name. Reading it, you realize that it contains several coded clues to the nature of the threat that faces Arkham. Pass a Lore (-1) check to gain 3 Clue tokens.
- Amanda fails the lore check with a 2 and a 3!
Joe heads to the Curiositie Shoppe.
- Browsing through the shop, Joe finds a Sword of Glory, a bottle of Holy Water, and a mysterious artifact the shop keeper calls a Dragon's Eye. Joe must purchase one of the items.
- It's the Sword of Glory that catches Joe's eye. He pays $8 for the magical sword.
Jenny arrives at the Unnamable, discovering two important clues along the way.
- Pass a Luck (-1) check to find a hidden cache concealed in the wall of an upstairs bedroom. Draw 1 Unique item.
- Noticing something odd about the panelling in the wall, Jenny examines it further. She succeeds! Sliding the panel open Jenny reaches inside and pulls out a small pouch full of the Powder of Ibn-Ghazi.
Kate stumbles upon the Silver Twilight Lodge, home to mysterious going-ons, and discovers a clue.
- "Care to join the Order?" Carl Sanford and several of his henchmen ask. If you accept, pay $3 and take a Silver Twilight Membership. If you decline, pass a Will (-1) check or lose 3 Stamina as the henchmen assist you out the door. Whether you pass or not, move to the street.
- Though she was a bit suspicious and reluctant at first, Kate in the end gave in and paid for the membership. Curiosity, afterall, is part of what being a woman of science is about.
Harvey move out onto the streets of the Merchant District.
Vincent steps out of his hospital, and onto the Uptown Streets.
Carolyn leaves the Asylum and is now Downtown.
Pete braves his way towards Independence Square, sneaking pass a Dark Young and killing a Cultist along the way.
- He is sucked through the open portal, and arrives at Yuggoth!
- The skies of Yuggoth seems to shimmer and spin nauseatingly. Pass a Will (-2) check or pass out and stay here next turn.
- Ashcan is so overwhelmed by Yuggoth that he collapses into a foetal ball.
Curfew Enforced is in Effect.
Driadon is now the First player.
Joe arrives at the Unvisited Isle, and comes upon the Ghoul and the Chthonian! The sight of the Chthonian unnerves him. Never the less, he steadies himself and draws his .38 and .45. Gun in each hand, he takes down both fiends!
- He gets sucked through the open gate, and arrives at R'lyeh!
- You push yourself to the limit. Roll 1 die for each point of Stamina you have. Lose 1 Stamina for each die that does not roll a success. If you do not fall unconscious, gain 1 Clue token for each die that rolled a success.
- Tired but not beaten, Joe discovered 4 clues, but loses 2 stamina in the process!
Jenny arrives at the Witch House, uncovering a clue along the way.
- You are overcome by the echoing chants of the long-gone witches who have lived and died here - you pass out. Make a Will (-2) check. If you pass, you learn an ancient spell in your dreams. Draw 1 Spell. If you fail, you are missing half your items when you wake up. Discard half of your items (your choice, round down).
- Upon entering the house, Jenny feels a cacophony of voices inside her mind. She quickly blacks out. Upon waking, Jenny feels as if the voices had imparted some ancient knowledge upon her, nonetheless she hurriedly leaves the premises. She has heard the commanding Voice of Ra, whispering in her dreams.
Kate, showing a surprising burst of speed, reaches the Dark Young at Independence Square. The nightmarish sight of the Dark Young horrifies her at first, however, but she quickly composes herself. She is easily tossed around by the Dark Young, like a rag doll, but she comes through in the end and slays the monster! The power of SCIENCE!
- She gets sent through the portal, into Yuggoth!
- Pass a Sneak (-1) check or the creatures capture and experiment on you. Lose half of your items, then immediately return to Arkham with no memory of the experiments.
- Success! Kate slips away from the search party of abominations and continues on her way through Yuggoth.
Harvey moves to the Graveyard. Reading the names on the graves, he realizes an important clue he'd previously missed.
- Descending into a dark mausoleum, you discover a vampire rising to feed. You quickly find yourself fighting for your life. Make a Combat (-2) check. If you pass, you defeat the vampire, gaining 1 Clue token and drawing 1 Unique Item. If you fail, roll a die and lose that much Stamina.
- The vampire catches Harvey off guard at first, and Harvey is not able to fend off the vampire. He quickly gathers his wit, however, and remembering a few important clues about how to deal with vampires, the kills it in the end. He discovers another clue surrounding the mysteries of Arkham, as well as a Ruby of R'lyeh among the vampire's possessions.
Vincent arrives at the Silver Twilight Lodge.
- Brushing up against a strange object in the hall, you feel stretched and thin, like your skin is too tight. Pass a Luck (-1) check or you are Cursed.
- Unlucky! Vincent fails to resist the dark forces at work, and is now Cursed!
Carolyn arrives at Velma's Diner.
- "What'll it be, hon?" Velma takes your order. Pay up to $6 to gain that many points split between Sanity and Stamina however you like.
- Carolyn politely declines. "Suit yourself," Velma tuts and walks away, continuing with her business.
Pete regains conciousness.
- A hideous monster appears! As if from thin air, a Dimensional Shambler appears in front of your eyes! However, due to your fellow investigator Kate's flux stabilizer, the Shambler is banished back into whatever dimension it came from! Behold, the glory that is science!
Amanda stays at the Newspaper.
- Editor Doyle Jefferies offers you a Retainer in return for your fascinating stories. Take a Retainer card.
A Dark Young, a Gug, and a Chthonian appear along side a smirking Warlock at the Independence Square!
A Formless Spawn, an Elder Thing, as well as the Hound of Tindalos appear at the Unvisited Isle. The area also seems to be haunted by a Ghost as well!
Not all is lost, however, as a new clue as appeared at the Unnamable.
A Strange Plague is now in effect. There is no longer a curfew.
The Elder Thing moves away from the Isle and into the Merchant District.
Catching scent of its nearest prey, the Hound of Tindalos speeds through the streets of Arkham and confronts Amanda at the Newspaper!
WitchHunter_Z is now the First Player.
Jenny tracks down the Elder Thing and arrives in the Merchant District streets. She uses her rifle. A critical hit! It's super effective! The Elder Thing dies a horrible death.
Kate continues to explore the world of Yuggoth.
- An alien mind forces its way into your body. Pass a Luck (-2) check to guess a way to drive it out, gaining 2 Clue tokens in the process, or else stay here next turn, serving as its host body.
- The alien mind is no match for Kate's consciousness! Though it took a little arcane knowledge, she was able to drive the alien mind away.
Harvey leaves the Graveyard and heads inside the Black Cave, wherein he finds a clue!
- A monster appears! Harvey is ambushed by a Ghoul.
- The Ghoul grabs Harvey by the neck and lifts him up, suffocating him. Not willing to give up, however, Harvey lets loose with a kick to the Ghoul's groin. It falls to the ground. Who would've thought?
Vincent fails to shake off his curse. He moves from the Silver Twilight Lodge to the Science Building and picks up a clue.
- A professor of the occult asks you to hold a hideous statue that he believes to have strange powers while he reads a scroll. Energy shoots through your body. Make a Luck (-1) check. If you pass, your spirit rises from your body and you feel that you have the power to switch bodies with another investigator. You may choose another investigator from the pile of unused investigators and bring it into play as a new character, discarding your current investigator (along with all of his items, skills, trophies, etc.). If you fail, nothing happens.
- It was all flash and no thunder. The professor's statue fizzles out. Nothing seems to have happened.
Carolyn exits the diner and arrives on the Easttown streets.
Pete continues to explore Yuggoth.
- Suddenly you notice something that you had previously missed. Gain 1 Clue token.
Amanda's stories for the Arkham Advertiser just aren't up to the standards of editor Jefferies. He pays her the $2 for her work, but she is quickly fired afterwards.
- Amanda casts Enchant Weapon on her .45 Automatic. She succeeds! Her pistols glow with a mysterious energy. She turns to face the Hound on her trail. She is unprepared for what awaits her, however and is deeply disturbed by what she sees. Even with the clues and knowledge she has gathered so far, she is still deeply fazed by its sight.
- Amanda is driven insane by the Hound. She loses her Warding Statue and is sent to the Asylum.
- Amanda pays $2 to receive proper psychiatric treatment.
Joe wanders through the city of R'lyeh, trying to find his way back to Arkham.
- The humidity and heat is exhausting. Lose 1 Stamina.
The Formless Spawn moves into the Merchant District.
The Gug arrives Downtown.
The Chthonian stirs within its tectonic lair, causing a massive earthquake. Luckily, everyone is unharmed.
The investigators sense that a clue might've been found on the Unvisited Isle, but it is much too late; a gate has already opened at the location.
An ill wind grips Arkham. Jenny feels a sense of unease. She tries to shake it off. Taking a few deep breaths to clear her head, she decides that it was nothing after all.
The strange plague is still affecting Arkham.
Make_Me_Mad is now the First Player.
Kate finds her way away from Yuggoth, back into Arkham, in the Independence Square. The monsters at the location have yet to notice her presence. She takes advantage of the opportunity and lays wastes to every damn thing in sight, killing the Dark Young, the Warlock, and the Chthonian. The encounter did a number on her mind, however, and the scientist is that much madder for it.
- Kate may try to close the gate.
- Instead, she chooses to take a quick breather while she still has the chance.
Harvey enters the General Store.
- He sees a Knife, a Rifle, and oddly enough, a frew scraps of Food. He must purchase one of the items.
- In desperate need of a decent weapon, Harvey trades his spellbook to Carolyn to raise enough cash for a Rifle.
Vincent moves to the Rivertown streets.
Carolyn moves to the General Store.
- The shopkeep shows her a Holy Cross, an Ancient Tome, and a Motorcycle. He insists that she makes a purchase.
- She chooses the Motorcycle, of course!
Pete, following Kate's lead, is finally out of the nightmarish realm of Yuggoth. He arrives at Independence Square.
- Pete may try to close and/or seal the gate.
- Pete sets his illustration of the Elder Sign on the ground. It sears itself into the stone works. This somehow exhausts Pete, but it is worth it. He can feel a bit of the tension in the air releasing, as Azathoth falls deeper into its slumber.
Amanda, still rather shaken by her last encounter, decides to stay within the relative safety of Arkham Asylum.
- You are mistaken for an inmate. Doctor Mintz has the guards subdue you and conducts an experiment. Make a Will (-1)  check to discover the results. If you pass, the injections seem to increase your capacity for learning. Draw 1 Skill. If you fail, his memory drug fails miserably, resulting in lost knowledge. You must discard one of the following (your choice), if able: 4 Clue tokens, or 2 Spells, or 1 Skill.
- The drug fails! Amanda loses her sense of the occult.
Joe coolly makes his way through R'lyeh, back to the Unvisited Isle, muttering something about the depletion of his stash of sweet chewing resin.
- Joe may try to close and/or seal the gate.
- Joe, with all his strength, attempts to force the gate closed. With sweat dripping down his face, he manages to brute the portal to The Mound. "I don't know what the hell I did today to deserve this..." Sighs Joe. The Witch in Arkham has been sent to another dimension, and no longer threatens Arkham!
- With the clues that he has gathered so far, Joe realises what he needs to do. He etches a crude Elder Sign into a nearby stone.
Jenny quickly evades the Formless Spawn on her trail, and slips into the Unnamable, wherein she uncovers a clue.
- The ceiling beam suddenly buckles. Make a Speed (-1) check. If you pass, move to the street. If you fail, lose 2 Stamina.
- After searching through the house for a short while, Jenny forces her way through a blocked door. Unfortunately the force of impact dislocates a ceiling beam, which comes crashing down upon her.
The Vampire exits the Graveyard and enters the Rivertown Streets.
An ancient curse, brought about by the witch trials over 2 centuries ago, manifests itself, releasing a Star Spawn and a Byakhee onto the Rivertown Streets!
A clue has appeared at the Science Building once again!
The strange plague is still affecting Arkham.
Resident4t is now the First Player.
Harvey initially is stunned by the sight of the Byakhee. His strong mind, however, keeps him from going insane. He fires wildly at the Byakhee. Thankfully one of the bullets strike true, and the Byakhee dies. Feeling the rush of victory, Harvey goes on to draw the Red Sign of Shudde M'ell in the air. He readies his Whither spell. The Vampire recoils from the magic. The Professor misses. Not ready to give up, he summons up what he knows about Vampires, and takes careful aim. The Vampire falls. Not wanting to push his luck, Harvey goes into hiding from the Star Spawn.
Vincent, tries to sneak pass the Star Spawn, but he is noticed! The horrendous sight of the Star Spawn does terrible damage to Vincent's mind. He tries to escape, but the Star Spawn of Cthulhu has him in its grips. Vincent struggles against the monster, but is knocked unconscious in the end. He loses his Bullwhip and Dark Cloak in the confusion. Vincent is sent to the Hospital.
- Vincent may gain 1 stamina and have an encounter, or pay $2 to be healed to full stamina instantly, with no encounter.
- The nurse slips a few dollars out of Vincent's wallet. In return, Vincent is moved to the top of the Hospital's triage list. He quickly regains his health.
Carolyn exits the General Store. She tries to sneak pass the Star Spawn blocking her way. She has a bit of difficult at first, but gathering her wits about her, she remembers hearing about a blind spot that Star Spawns have. She quickly slips pass the monster, onto the French Hill streets.
Pete leaves Independence Square, and encounters a Gug! Pete easily resists the creature's nightmarish visage, unimpressed. He easily rends the Gug assunder with his axe. Society might be quick to dismiss him, but he sure as hell is going to make sure whatever Eldrich horrors that are out there will remember him. With a scowl on his face, he makes his way to Hibb's Roadhouse, the local watering hole. To his surprise, he discovers a clue in the premises.
- A horrible monster appears! Another Hound of Tindalos seems to appear out of thin air, and attacks Pete!
- Pete attempts to evade the keen senses of the loathsome hound, but society's inability to see his plight does not help against the monstrous creature, which leaps and savages him. Bloodied but unbroken, Pete steels himself at the nauseating sight of the beast, and finding his axe useless hurls himself against the monstrosity, wringing it's otherworldly neck with his callused hands. Holding on for dear life, he exposes the hounds throat in time for his own faithful dog Duke to leap, tearing it out in a flash of teeth and shower of alien gore. Man and beast look on together as the monster fades unnaturally into nothingness, before returning once more to their travels.
Amanda notices that the streets are finally cleared, and exits the Asylum, and heads for the Easttown Streets.
Joe's epiphany comes at once: There is something out-worldly attempting to wake here in the heart of Arkham. The old man Harvey warned him about this" ...wait...Harvey! Is he alright?" Joe rushes east towards Rivertown, successfully sneaking pass the Ghost on the isle, with the help of one of his hunches. On the way through the Market District, Joe spots the towering Formless Spawn! Joe tries tip-toeing in the shadows around the beast... it seems to have noticed Joe! Muttering under his breath something about bad luck and broken glass, Joe gets another hunch, and sneaks pass the Formless Spawn. Upon arriving in Rivertown Joe spots the Star Spawn almost immediately. Joe squeezes into the nearest alley to avoid the creatures twisted gaze. Joe takes a quick turn in the maze of alleyways and comes face-to-face with the professor. He is dazed and covered in a horrible smelling gore, but still very much alive. Joe sighs in relief "Looks like your little prophecy is coming true. Here take this, " Joe hands his Tommy Gun to Harvey "these things still bleed after all."
Jenny brushes the dust from her dress, now torn, She leaves the rickety building, promising to herself never to step back inside. Outside, she notices that the Formless Spawn has remained in the same place, she attempts to sneak around it once again. Luckily, the creature is distracted by a shady looking man's attempts to do the same while carrying, and clanging about, around four weapons. She easily slips past it unnoticed. Making her way through the streets of Arkham, she arives in the Scienve Building on the university campus, gathering rumours and clues along the way.
- You find a muscular, bored-looking man who challenges you to an arm wrestling match. Lose 2 Stamina if you accept. If this does not knock you unconscious, Sir William Brinton laughs and slaps your shoulder, offering to join your investigation. Take his Ally card. If it is not available, gain $5 instead.
- "Hmph, what kind of a brute are you to challenge a lady to a wrestling competition?" Jenny declines the man's offer and storms out of the building, thinking the man to be very rude.
Kate arrives at Arkham Asylum.
- Kate is feeling good tonight. Sure, she has been mauled by some sort of large, other-worldly being the size of a small truck, and she is beginning to feel the mental strain of what she has been through tonight, but she has also managed to definitively prove nearly every theory she had come up with since she started her research and work here in Arkham!
Standing up from digging around in the remains of one of the creatures she had gotten the drop on during her exit from the Gate, she resigns. She will simply have to drag all of these bodies back to the labs at the Science Building to learn anything meaningful from them, but that seemed like the kind of thing that might slow her down. Maybe if she just took the parts that looked interesting...
Upon finishing the rather messy task, Kate realizes that she has lost track of the person she had met inside the Gate. Well, more like the person she stumbled over inside the gate. She is amazed to meet anyone else investigating the strange events in town - to think, if she hasn't been so absorbed in her studies about the very same events, she may have had a chance to talk with others who were more experienced. And this man was so clearly superior in his knowledge of the goings on in the town, to have been confident enough to stop for a nap in the middle of another world - how she would have loved to find out what he knew! Of course, had she not been so diligent in her labs, the Flux Stabilizer may not have proven itself such a success. The things that had to be sacrificed for scientific progress...
It seems the man and his dog had wandered off before she had the chance to ask him about the intriguing sign he had used to instantly close (and seal!) the gate to the other world, though. More pressing was the fact that Kate is now splattered with all manner of unnameable gore from her field dissection, and is feeling the burden of the night's events quite heavily. It seems that despite the questionable reputation of the place, she is going to have to go to stately Arkham Asylum and get herself checked out.
Hoisting a thankfully waterproof, recently filled sack of otherworldy trophies and various researchable body parts from things best not seen by the eyes of man, Kate Winthrop sets off through the streets to temporarily commit herself. She needs to make sure there was nothing wrong with her.
- Kate pays $2 to receive proper therapy.
The Hound of Tindalos senses its next prey, and speeds toward Jenny, in the Science Labs!
The press suspects that there is a strangler on the loose in Southside, but in fact, the murders were caused by a rogue Elder Thing and Shoggoth in the Southside Streets.
With the recent events, the investigators are convinced that another clue can be found in the Historical Society archives!
The strange plague is still affecting Arkham.
Angelfan91 is now the First Player.
- Vincent tries once more to shrug off his curse, but to no avail. He heads to the Library.
- You look up to see Abigail Foreman leaning over you with hands on hips and a frustrated look on her face. Make a Will (-1) check. If you pass, she helps you find the book you were looking for. Take the first Tome from the Unique Item deck. If you fail, you've made too much noise. She escorts you out of the Library. Move to the street.
- Vincent exits the library, dejected.
- Carolyn follows Vincent into the university Library.
- A book in a shadowy corner of the library begins to whisper terrible things to you. Lose 1 Sanity.
- Pete enters Velma's Diner.
- You find some money on the floor under the back booth. If you take it, make a Sneak (-1) check. If you pass, roll a die and gain that much money. If you fail, Velma sees you pick up the money. She comes over and sqipes it out of your hands screaming, "Stealing my tips!" so loudly that you flee the diner. Move to the street.
- Pete easily pockets the money without Velma noticing, pocketing $4 in loose change.
- Amanda attempts to sneak pass the Star Spawn. Amanda breathes a sigh of relief, as the creature is too preoccupied with two strange characters. She quietly slips pass the scene, into the Frech Hill streets.
- Joe, feeling his mind fleeing, attempts to head to the Asylum. The Star Spawn notices him, however, and their gaze meet, for just a second. Joe's mind snaps immediately, dropping his .38 revolver. He begins gabbing as the paddy-wagon arrives. "THE THINGS! THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! EVERYWHERE! THEY WON'T STOP! WON'T STOP!!!". Joe is taken to the Asylum.
- Joe slowly recovers his sanity.
- Jenny attempts to sneak pass the Hound, but she is quickly caught. Startled by the sudden appearance of the horrible beast, Jenny reaches into her pocket and produces a small pouch. She undoes the drawstring and hurls the contents at the Eldritch monstrosity before her. Upon contact the beast burns and hisses in a horrifyingly unnatural way. In her mind, Jenny has a feeling that the sight of the dissolving horror will fuel her nightmares for months to come. She says at the Science Building.
- You find a student pounding on a strange device that he has hooked up to massive machinery. He states that it is a dimensional beam machine. If you offer to help him, make a Lore (-2) check. If you pass, beams shoot out in all directions, disrupting the gates open throughout the board. Roll a die for each open gate one at a time. On a success the gate is closed. However, you may not take it as a trophy, but instead return it to the pile of gate markers. If you fail, the machinery overheats and explodes. Roll a die and lose that much stamina, then move to St. Mary's Hospital.
- Jenny slowly backs away from the student. "Dimensional beam machine? That sounds... complicated. Good luck with your work. I'll just leave you to... whatever you're doing."
- Kate moves to the Police Station.
- She bangs on the station door. A bored looking cop greets her. He was about to return to his cup of coffee when Kate flops her bag onto his desk. The trophies inside, taken from the various monsters that Kate has encountered so far, spill and splatter all over the cop's desk. "I believe we have a problem here," Kate said, staring at the officer, unblinking. He gulps, then nods. Obviously he understands that Kate knows how to deal with these monsters. He leads her to the Sheriff Engle's office. The Sheriff appoints Kate as his new Deputy, and hands her a revolver, as well as keys to the patrol wagon.
- Harvey tries to escape the Star Spawn, but the monster quickly catches hold of him. Its roar terrifies Harvey deeply. He tries to fight back. Harvey brings out his shiny new Tommy Gun and takes aim. The recoil on each shot surprises him, however, and he misses every single one. The Star Spawn quickly takes advantage of the professor's naivety and knocks Harvey out. He loses his Rifle, Alien Statue, and the Ruby of R'lyeh in the confusion. He is sent to the Hospital.
- Harvey slowly regains his health.
The Nightgaunt takes to the skies.
The Formless Spawn crawls its way to the Miskatonic University streets!
Something is amiss on the Miskatonic University streets, as rumors of a terrible experiment circulates its way around Arkham, terrifying its citizens!
These rumors currently invove 3 monsters: a Ghost, a Formless Spawn, and a Dimensional Shambler
The strange plague is still affecting Arkham.
Jeust is now the First Player.
Carolyn looks out the Library window. "No..." She sees the Formless Spawn outside. She shakes her head violently, and backs deeper into the archives, absolutely frantic.
- Pass a Luck (-2) check to find $5 someone was using as a bookmark.
- Carolyn browses through the stacks, and notices an out-of-place book. She flips it open and discovers a $5 bill between the pages.
Pete moves to the French Hill streets. It took all his wits and skills to sneak pass the horrible Star Spawn along the way.
Amanda mumbles. "You can do this, Amanda," she says. She takes a deep breath moves across to the Miskatonic University streets, ready to confront the Formless Spawn. She whispers a few words to her gun. It begins to glow brightly from the enchantment. The slithering slight of the monster catches her offguard; she can almost feel her mind rend asunder. Amanda steadies herself, however, and takes aim. She just barely misses! She shakes and clears her head. She knows she can do better. Her father, after all, was a world class Marksman. She has learned a few things from him over summer before moving to Arkham for college. "Self-defense," he said. Amanda smiles at the memory, and takes aim onces more. She fires. The enchanted bullets strike true! The Formless Spawn's body seems to freeze solid, and shatters into a thousand pieces.
- Still feeling the rush of victory, Amanda seeks out the rumors of monsters on the campus, determinded to quash them. The High Priest was easy enough to find. She was not, however, prepared to see another human being covered in so much blood. The sight of it maddens her. She wildly fires six shots into the High Priest. It slumps onto the ground!
- Just as she is about to finish, a Maniac lunges at her! Amanda panics, and unloads a full clip into the assailant's direction. Luckily, she manages to hit and kill the Maniac, despite the panicked shots.
Joe can still hear the voices. It's not safe. It's not safe. Not safe at all outside. He says in the Asylum.
- Joe is slowly piecing his mind back together.
Jenny exists the Science Building. The Formless Spawn in front of the building is gone, replaced by a scared student, hyperventilating and almost in tears. She hurries hurries to the woods. Just as the student had told her, a gate to another dimension stood open, surrounded by several cloaked men. Upon noticing her, the men scatter, leaving a single cultist to hold his ground. The cultist draws a large knife and leaps at Jenny, "Cthulhu fthagn!". Jenny aims her rifle and fires several shots, one striking the man in the chest. He crumples under the force of the round and Jenny approaches the gateway before her.
- The gate ripples, sucking Jenny through to the Plateau of Leng!
- You sleep, fitfully, and awaken to the sound of your own voice, chanting something. Make a Luck (-2) check. If you pass, you are able to retain what you are saying. Draw 1 Spell and gain 2 Clue tokens. If you fail, the chant attracts something unsavory. A monster appears!
- Waking to find herself in a strange, alien place; Jenny is alarmed to hear what seems to be her own voice whispering on the wind. She makes out a few key phrases about the nature of this place, and scribbles down some observations before pressing forward, eager to explore this new realm. She has gathered two clues, as well as a method to magically imbue weapons through the Enchant Weapon spell.
Kate puts her foot on the gas and ignores the odd shapes that seemed to be lurking just outside the reach of the street lights. Along the way, it is becoming rapidly apparent that herself and the man (and dog) she had met earlier are in fact not the only two in town who has noticed what was happening. On her way past the University, she noticed a woman standing over the body of some... thing. She can't help but recall the rumors going around of experiments in the neighborhood calling some dark forces into play at Miskatonic. She will be back to take care of that soon, but for now she has more pressing issues.
- Kate finds it surprisingly easy to recieve treatment at the hospital with a bit of quick thinking ("Well, doctor, funny story, you see I... accidentally ran over myself! Last time I leave the thing in neutral, hahaha~") and a liberal helping of money to expedite the process. And they even let her keep her armaments without any trouble! She would have attributed that to being deputized, but then again, the man a few beds down is being treated with a Tommy Gun in his hands. Kate quickly returns to her full health.
Harvey, having had enough bedrest, keeps moving. He knows there isn't much time left. He hurries to the Southside Street, and sees an Elder Thing. The sight of it hits him with absolute fear. He calms himself down and takes aim with the Tommy Gun, hands still shaking. Closing his eyes, Harvey fires. The Elder Thing is taken down without too much trouble. Harvey quickly turns his attention to the Shoggoth, the complete monstrosity lay waiting before him. He stares at the Shoggoth, intent on killing it. It attempts to scare him off with a piercing scream, but Harvey only chuckles. Harvey readies his spells, casting Wither and invoking the Red Sign of Shudde M'ell. Harvey uses the monster's own tentacles against it, gouging out its eyes and finally driving one through the brain of the monster.
Vincent can still feel the curse looming over him. He sees the way cleared before him, and makes off for the Curiositie Shoppe.
- Browsing through the unworldly wares, Vincent notices a copy of the Cultes des Goules, a tattered volume of the Necronomicon, and a Silver Key, inscribed with strange symbols. The shopkeep insists that he purchase one of the items.
- The book seems to call out to him. Vincent purchaes the Necronomicon.
Arkham Horror is a boardgame based on the Lovecraftian mythos (Cthulhu fhtagn!). Something is amiss in the sleepy town of Arkham, 1926, as mysterious cultists have started showing up, bringing with them horrors unimagined! Portals to other worlds and dimensions have ripped open through time and space, unleashing monsters of all kinds onto the streets of Arkham. It is up to you, the investigators, to fight (or flee from) these monsters, all the while trying to uncover clues to close and seal the portals that are rapidly opening throughout town! If you succeed, you will prevent an ancient evil from awakening, thus saving Arkham - and the world - from certain doom. If you fail, however, you must fight the Ancient One in a last-ditch effort to save humanity!
Oh, and please do try not to go insane in the mean time.
This will be a play-by-post game, and I will moderate. The players will post what they want to do for their turn, while I will provide the cards/monsters that needs to be drawn. InvisibleCastle is a great tool for any dice that needs to be rolled, if you choose to use it. I'll accept whatever dice you say you've rolled though - just please be honest and play fair :P
I'll be honest here. This game is not easy, and the rules ( here. Should be the first pdf file.) can be a bit intimidating for those not normally into boardgames. This is also my first time hosting something like this. I'd appreciate if experienced players would identify themselves to make things a little easier for everyone. Since we'll be playing with only the base game, I'm only allowing the 16 original investigators. They're listed here, with a blank "expansion" column. If you're interested in playing, post a reply with your investigator of choice, along with whether you've played this game before! Keep in mind that this is a 4 hour game in real life, so this will probably take a couple of days to finish. Please be at least somewhat dedicated. Myself (or someone else that's interested) will take over if a player decides to drop.
If you want to learn more about the game, hit up the Wikipedia entry, the game's product page by its publisher, or the game's own wiki site!
As a side note: No, I'm not affiliated with Fantasy Flight Games in any way. This isn't meant to be an advertisement for the game. I'm just doing this because I thought it'd be a fun diversion for anyone that's interested. That being said, it is a great game. Get yourself a copy if you find yourself enjoying this PbP down the road!