By jakob187 50 Comments
Seriously, it's not. I will make my thoughts on the game short and brief, then move on.
Modern Warfare 2 feels like an expansion pack for CoD4. That's not to say it's bad, but it's not the second coming of Christ. It's just a good game, plain and simple. Was it overhyped? Fucking duh. Did it deserve at least some hype? Yeah, it's Call of Duty. Am I happy about the PC version? Nope. Do people care? Nope. Nonetheless, I'm playing on 360. I'm up to rank 40 and I don't see any end in sight at the moment. Hopefully, it doesn't consume me like CoD4 did.
Moving on from the popular (and overtalked topic) of Modern Warfare 2:
Seriously, can you remember any memorable games from early in the year? I can, but can you? Here's a small list:
- Street Fighter IV - It's a terrific game, but given that it's a fighting game, does that mean it will really be considered a contender for GOTY material?
- Prototype - Fantastic game with some stiff difficulty and massive carnage, but the "competition" (namely Infamous) seemed to get more attention and better reviews
- Red Faction Guerrilla - Badass game with some of the best multiplayer of the year, but it's not MW2 or ODST, so will people consider it?
- The Maw/'Splosion Man - I'm sure these might get SOME form of recognition, but with Shadow Complex being the "cool" game, will Twisted Pixel get ignored?
- Killzone 2 - Lot of people loved the game, but how much do you hear people talking about it NOW?
- Dawn of War 2 - This game offered a unique take on the RTS genre, but will people remember it?
- Punch-Out! - Remember when the only thing people could talk about was Punch-Out!? That didn't last very long. Does it mean it's not GOTY material?
As you can see, these are all games that were hotly talked about, but the latter half of the year saw MASSIVE releases that seem like they've overshadowed a ton of GREAT games. Hopefully, we'll see a good spread over the course of this GOTY period and it won't just be focused on the same four games over and over.
Until next time, piece.