By JJOR64 23 Comments
I've had my 3DS for over 24 hours now so I thought I would through together a quick impressions list of the things I like and don't like about the games I have and the hardware itself.
- Actually surprised how good the 3D is. I was one of those guys who thought I would never use the 3D that much at well. Then I tried it out and seen how cool it is. The depth it adds is more significant then I thought it would be. Ridge Racer 3D at max 3D is the most mine blowing thing I have seen yet on the console.
- The system had a very hefty weight to it that I like. It's not super heavy, but it's heavy enough to feel good in my hands.
- The Circle Pad feels really good. I feel like I'm in control when I use it unlike the PSP nub.
- Taking 3D pictures is cool and they actually look really cool when taken right.
- While the AR Games and Face Raiders may get old fast, at least they are built into the system for free and that's a nice addition.
- I'm surprised how the friends list works. Once you get your friends set up right, it's like a mini version of Xbox Live. You can see what your friends are playing and send them messages. It's mind blowing for a handheld.
- Really like the Home Menu. It's nice and simple. Just what you want from a handheld system made by Nintendo. It's also nice that you can access it in-game.
- Not a fan of the location of the stylus. It's like the old phat DS where you put the stylus in the back. It really grinds my gears is that it's on the left hand side and not the right hand. I'm right handed and it would have been nice on the right. What they should have done is did it the same way the DSi did it, have it on the right side of the system where it's easy to take out and put back in.
- Really wish the Start and Select buttons weren't in the middle of the system. I wish it was in the lower right hand side or left hand side of the system. At least the games I have lets you pause the game with the select button.
- The cameras are the same quality as the DSi, which isn't a good thing. Both cameras on the back and the one on the from are a measly 0.3 megapixels. My old crappy cell phone I used to use had a better camera.
- Wish the depth slider worked for the 3D pictures that you have taken. It's either 3D on or 3D off. No level of 3D to choose from.
- There are still friend codes.
- Wish the battery life was better. Think god I'm always near a wall socket when I play this thing since I don't travel at all anymore.
- Bummed the eShop and the internet browser aren't at launch.
Ridge Racer 3D
- Yo dog, it's Ridge Racer. RIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACER!! Plays like the other games which is good if you are a fan of the series.
- The soundtrack is good. It has some old tunes and some new tunes (I think) which go with the game great.
- The environments look really good, especially in 3D.
- The main mode seems like it might have a solid length to it. It's fun to go through it and get further and further. Definitely the longest 3DS game I own at the moment.
- Yo dog, it's Ridge Racer. The main gameplay hasn't changed one bit since the last major game, Ridge Racer 7. It would have been nice to see something new to the gameplay besides the one button drift, which I wont use. If you are a first time Ridge Racer player, then it wont bother you at all because it's your first Ridge Racer experience.
- Wish there were more new tracks.
- While the environments look good, the car models don't look good.
- No online play. This is the year 2011 and a racing game with no online play is unacceptable.
- The game is really color full and the world looks great, especially in 3D.
- While the missions can be a little straight forward, they are fun to play.
- The aircraft are fun to use.
- There are only two modes of gameplay, both of which seem like there wont be much replay value once completed.
- This game would have been great with online. Just flying around with friends or competing in missions would have been fun.
- Wish the characters from Pilotwings 64 were in the game. Those guys were great.
Super Monkey Ball 3D
- The graphics look great and colorful.
- The main game mode is still fun to play.
- It's fun using the motion controls for the main game.
- From the looks of it, the game seems a bit short. At least there are some collectables which may help lengthen the game.
- From what I've played, the main game seems like it will be a cake walk.
- The other game modes aren't that great. One is a bad Mario Kart clone and the other one is a bad Super Smash Bros. clone. They could be fun with other players, but they get old fast by yourself.
OVERALLI am enjoying the system. The hardware itself is great with a few set backs and the games are fun. Now I just hope Nintendo and 3rd Parties put out great games for this thing often and not in long stretches.
Well, there you have it. Hope you enjoyed reading up my 24 hour impressions. BYE BYE!!