By MannyMAR 1 Comments
This is sorta a GOTY post, but not really. Take it as you will, also coarse salty language will be used here and there. So, read at your own discretion. Fuck!
So what's crackin' my GB peeps! With a New Year smacking us upside the head like a pimp, I'd like to do some sort of year in review. No, this will not be your standard fare top 10, honestly I haven't played enough games to really warrant a top ten (so a top 5 is more in order.) Also, a lot of weird shit went down that left me pensive about where gaming as a whole is heading.
So let's tackle the industry bullshit, the first order of business: Mass Effect Trizzy. This boils down to an issue of entitlement versus what is expected of developers to deliver in our gaming experiences. Now, I didn't like ME3's ending; it was a little too contrived and felt like it was something that Neon Genesis Evangelion inspired. The fact that they went back and changed it was good on Bioware's part but the artist in me is like "FUCK you whiny bitches, it's their story God damn it!"
The ladies exposed a lot of fuckery dudes have been perpretating. Not only are female developers and gamers getting mistreated, but then there are the "white knight" mongoloids who don't realize that they too are being completely misogynistic as well. This stuff happens in all industries and people in general need to just grow the hell up.
Crowd Funding aka Kickstarting aka Give us your money now and maybe we'll make something you'd want from it. This to me has been something that should've been happening, but I'm fearful that it has also gotten out of hand. I've contributed to three projects myself this year (Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, and Project CARS.) But I feel like I invested into sure things, and there were projects that sounded awesome yet didn't reach their goals. Are we gonna get our games? Who knows, but at least we made our voices very loud with the help of our wallets.
There was a lot of craziness going on from studio closures, Youtube commentary & LP's, indie games making stronger strides, sequelitus, and the PC reclaiming dominance which has Sony and Microsoft scrambling to iron out there next machines' specs. Like I've stated before I'm pondering what 2013 and beyond holds for gaming as a whole. It's exciting and scary at the same time.
My Top 3 Non 2012 Games of 2012
3. WH 40k: Dawn of War 2 All of em' Edition - It's my favorite RTS, as it's also the only one I'm good at.
2. Batman: Arkham City - PC issues forced me to sit on this until it was fixed, one of best games this generation hands down.
1. Dark Souls - Let's just say I own this game on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. 'Nuff said.
2012 Biggest Disappointment
Assassin's Creed 3 - Yes even more disappointing than Mass Effect 3. A decent game that could have been so much more than what was released.
2012 Genre of the Year
Stealth - Mark of Ninja, Hitman: Absolution, Dishonored, and whole bunch of others. This was a banner year for stealth as a whole.
My Top 5 Games Of the Year
5. Asura's Wrath - Holy Shit was this a fun little early year ditty. The QTE's felt appropriate and the somewhat tedious beat 'em up side was kept to a minimum, and I thank CyberConnect2 for that. All other power fantasies be damned when I can destroy planet-sized dudes with my bare hands.
4. Binary Domain/ Spec Ops: The Line - They were both cover based third person shooters, but both had very unique stories and ideas behind them. Just goes to show you that endearing stories go a long way.
3. The Walking Dead - This game is Heavy Rain during a zombie apocalypse. Also, Clementine can get me to do nearly any-non-pedo-thing, damn that precious little virtual girl.
2. Sleeping Dogs - This game looks, plays, and feels amazing. I'm glad Square Enix saved this game. This is probably the 2nd best (Saints Row da 3rd is 1) non Rockstar open world game I've played. Kudos United Front Games.
1. Dishonored - My game of the year hands down. Player freedom is king in this game no matter if you take the no kill stealth approach, or the angel of death kill 'em all path; this game has something for you.
The Game I Wish I Finished So I Can Add It To This List, But Didn't Have Time To
X-Com: Enemy Unknown - So this game is awesome, but I'm still playing through it so here's an honory nod.
So, thanks for reading all that, you sir/ madam are da Man/ woMan. Leave line if you want. Happy New Years as well Duders/ Dudettes(?)!