By poopiedeloopie 0 Comments
1. Counter Strike 1.6 - The birth of competetive gaming. So much detail put into every last aspect of the game. This game STILL holds up after 10 years! Its been through 3 generations of gaming and is still one of the most played PC shooters, of course it is #1 on my list!
2. Call of Duty 1 and 2 - Another great competetive shooter. This one is much more accessible than Counter Strike 1.6, you can pick it up after not playing in forever and can have fun! By far the best game for some Team Deathmatch or Capture The Flag ever made!
3. Halo 3 - The best online console shooter of all-time. Greatest ranking system of any game. Some of the most balanced maps you will ever see on console. Forge for making maps and balancing pre-existing ones. Theatre for showing off unbelievable moments that no one would believe otherwise. Now if only there were less 10 year olds on the mics.....
4. Team Fortress 2 - Can you even name another first person shooter that actually made you laugh? This game added personality to a genre that hasn't had a bit of personality in a long time. Valve is STILL adding new content to this game a year later. This game constantly reminds you Valve is one of the greatest developers of all time.
5. Battlefield 1942 - It hasn't aged as good as the original Call of Duty or Counter Strike, but its still one of the leaders in Vehicular Combat FPS. The graphics were stunning for its time, the sheer scale of combat was amazing. When your maps are so big that it would take 10 minutes to walk on foot from end to end, you know your maps are massive. Their innovative node based game mode (known as Conquest) was truly a great innovation in multiplayer gaming. This mode has spread throughout every genre imaginable.
I admit it, I am biased against singleplayer FPS, here are some games that didn't make the list, but deffinately are must-haves.
Half Life Series - The greatest Singleplayer FPS series of all time. The story is amazing, the puzzles are fun, the shooting is satisfying, the platforming works, the characters are awesome, and G Man...must I say more than G Man?
Unreal Tournament Series - Deep yet frantic gameplay. No other 'arena shooter' took as much brain as this game did. Though the series is slowly dying, it will live on, with the anouncer's voice ringing through our heads.
Call of Duty 4 - This game is introducing thousands upon thousands of people to a genre they feared to play before: Online First Person Shooters. With the easiest gameplay around, this game is the definition of pick-up and play. You can get kills in this game even if its your first time playing. Friends who usually only play singleplayer games or sports games can now take a dip in the FPS side of the pool.