By RenegadeSaint 22 Comments
Long time, no see my friends. It's been a while and I'm so close to my M.D., I can actually taste it. In addition to school, I've been doing quite a bit of gaming on my newly acquired Wii with my girlfriend, which has been great. We are on the final level of Zack & Wiki and she is loving Warioland: Shake It! Personally, I sank a lot of time into (and really enjoyed) Halo: Reach, Super Meat Boy, Monday Night Combat, and ' Splosion Man. I also just finished building my first PC. I waited it out for quite a while and got some great deals for a pretty powerful machine. Here we go:
- CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition overclocked to 3.9GHz - $170.79
- MB: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 ATX - $69.38 - $20MIR = $49.38
- GPU: Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 GC 768MB w/ HAWX2 - $139.99 - $35MIR - $26MIR - $17MIR - $10 for HAWX 2 sale on eBay = $52
- RAM: Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 X 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz - $81.95 - $25MIR = $56.95
- PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W - $59.99 - $17MIR = $39.99
- HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" 1TB 7200RPM SATA II 32MB Cache 3.0 Gb/s - $44.99
- DVDRW: LG 22X SATA DVDRW - $19.20
- Case: Diablotek EVO ATX Mid-Tower Case - $42.69
Total Before Rebates: $628.89
Total After Rebates: $475.99I absolutely love the Diablotek case as it has four fans which provide great ventilation with room for two more fans on the side of the chassis. I'm overclocking to 3.9GHz on the stock cooler with absolutely no issues. I realize I made a gaff with the memory as my board/CPU only support dual-channel, but I will rectify that with another stick of 2GB RAM. Other than that I'm pretty happy with my build. Just need to track down a pesky monitor and I can move the thing over to my desk and away from the TV.
Overall I had a lot of fun building this thing and learned way more about PCs than I ever imagined I would. Can't wait for the next one and can't wait to play me some Starcraft 2 (the first one remains one of my all time favorites) and Cryostasis (this one's for you, Dave!). Peace, duders.