This is fantastic. I hope they stick it on the spotlight!
s10129107's forum posts
Inspired by "The Binding of Patrick" i started playing vanilla BoI. After numerous failures I finally beat Mom's heart. I had a strange run with the shovel in which I bypassed Mom, and Mom's heart and died to a miniboss. Finally I had an awesome run with Kain thanks to some Arcades and slot machines and i had a TON of heats, 5 full healths, a one up, a teleporter and about 15 full hearts scattered in Mom's level along with some tears and damage up.
In the next level I fully assembled Meat Boy who was extremely helpful, had a scare against death and went on to beat Mom's heart on my first try (though i've watched Patrick beat her several times so, no fair). However, in Satan's level i got down to it because of some lucky minibosses but i got a lucky find on a secret room with a slot machine in it. Bombing through all the doors, i found the boss room and went for it. I beat his little guardians and then i used explosive diarrhea and the Unicorn to beat him fairly quickly.
Little did I know he had a second form and despite my well placed bombs i got stomped to death thankfully I had my one up (so technically i didn't beat him my first try but I kinda did).
My next try had no diarrhea and no unicorn. I stayed to the side taking pot shots and letting meat boy widdle him down until the next form. Then i started running in circles, avoiding the bomb seekers and placing bombs as i ran. I got down to 1 heart before the dude finally exploded. i am so pumped.
Thanks Patrick for getting me into this game!
I'm going to list some games that I really enjoyed that were more or less Uniquely on the PC.
- The Witcher 1 &2 - These games are great. The world isn't as big as Skyrim but the experience is more focused. I also like how their fantasy world escapes the traditional norms for fantasy.
- Civ 5 - The definitive turn based strategy game. Even if you only play the tutorial and one game against the computer (which will probably be more of a time investment than your typical blockbuster) its worth getting.
- FTL - One of my absolute favorites. It's a different kind of game to be sure but it's massively addicting.
- Company of Heroes (i havent tried the new one yet but i imagine its excellent). It's a real approachable strategy game.
- Starcraft 2 - This is the classic RTS imo. It's a bit much to get into it though. Thankfully the single player is fully featured.
Age of Empires Series- Play whichever is current. They are all great.
-Torchlight - Diablo style hack and slash. Mindless fun.
- Dragon Age Origins - Another sprawling fantasy world. Again there are some unique fantasy aspects but it does lean on some tired tropes.
- Portal 1 and 2 - Awesome games and nothing gets dead for a change.
- VVVVVV - A fun platformer that's really challenging. It's also cheap.
- Hard Reset - Old school shootemup single player game.
- Half Life 2 Series - One of the first games to have emoting characters. It still holds up.
- Team Fortress 2 - It's free and its fun, though the community can be a bit intense.
- Diablo 3 - I really enjoyed this game. I feel like they screwed the pooch with the Auction House and the drops but I heard they've atoned for that in more recent patches.
As far as more recent games go, it really goes to taste. If you see something that gets you all twiddly then try it out. If you're looking for a place to decide you've found it. Most of these games have videos of the editors of the site playing them. They're called quick looks. You can find them under the video section of the game page of the Wiki. Also, don't forget that there are TONS of amazing older games that are pretty inexpensive if you're on a budget. Check out GOG or even just hunt around Steam. Enjoy!
All my old CDs are scratched, lost or at my mothers house. I've moved so many times and its just a hassle. No media format lasts forever.