By Seedofpower 4 Comments
I'm not one to write long narrative posts but since it is the end of the semester and I have a month vacation from anything important to do. I guess I have a bit more time to express my thoughts about video games with my follow Giant Bombers.
This blog will come in a variety of parts in no particular order but all have in interest to me. I'm gonna keep my thoughts general as I want to cover as much as possible because it will be awhile before I write another one of these.
Fair Warning: Please excuse all typos and grammar errors. I went to school in Florida, so don't expect great things.
State of PC GamingNow I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to make some argument on the PC vs Console debt or weather nor not the platform is dead. I just want to point out a few observations I've made that could relate to other aspects of video gaming. I can do this best with a list:
- Now like the consoles themselves, the PC platform finally has a face and an identity with Steam. I know Steam has been round since 2003 but it is finally truly making an impact on the market itself with over 3 million users and application services worth using. Not to mention the sales and savings.
- I believe what is happening the genre of fighting games, it is happening to the PC. Things are coming full circle and developers and publishers are correcting various mistakes that benefit the user in the long term. I'm not saying things are going to change immediately and the platform is going to be a heavy hitter again, but EA Valve and various other companies are recognizing how different the market is compared to it's console counter parts.
- The growing rise in the indie development. Over the past year or so there has been a considerable rise in indie released games. I think over the past 5 months I've spent more money on indie games than I have actually Triple A releases. It's a shame though that some feel like a straight from console port and don't add at basic text chat.
- Alternative DRM solutions. Yes, piracy is still a problem but seeing the market trying to find alternative solutions to the mess is a great relief. Like providing day of release incentives, a micro transaction store or just a simply a multilayer. It may be a bit longer before a real solution is found but recognizing that pigeon holding your loyal customer to something horrible is bad, is a step in the right direction.
- The niche genre that is real time strategy is finding it's due on a mass market. Granted this is mostly credited to Starcraft 2. Though it is nice to see the genre treated with respect like shooters and have a proper fan base to boot. Hopefully in the next few years other developers like Relic would implement proper tutorials and we may see the genre to be a even bigger power house.
Warhammer 40,000I've talked about this universe in a previous entry, but my knowledge of 40k back than pales in comparison until now. I'm on my 16th Black Library book and I show no signs of slowing down. I can go on and on about this but I don't want to bore anyone with my nerdiness. So I'm going to make another topical list with more news and less punditry.
- Since the release of Retribution, I've been trying to get everyone and their mother to play it. Now I understand that a hardcore RTS game with no tutorial isn't for everyone. So now I've opted to promote the stand alone Last Stand mode instead. Has everything you wanted from the PvP but in a bit sized cooperative experience and it's only 10$ on steam now.
- THQ has signed another multi-year deal with Games Workshop to make more games with the 40k license. This comes at no surprise for anyone but if you are hoping for another homeworld sequel. I suggest you spend your time thinking about something else.
- Since Relic has done such a good job with the IP in the form of an RTS. I gets me wondering how well they could make it in third person. Don't get me wrong Space Marine looks great and I can't wait to bash some Ork head's in. But we can't forget Fire Warrior. . . . . only thing that game had going for it was it's cut scenes.
- PC Magazine ran a few articles about the MMO, Dark Millennium a while back. Stating that the developer is going to take the game into a more "tabletop direction". They also went on to explain how they want to break free from a lot of mmo trappings and provide a unique experience. Pretty much a lot of stuff that has been said before, but I pray for once it is true. All I care about it a smooth experience while staying true to the lore. That is not hard for a fan to ask for right?
- I'm a co-author on a Retribution PvP guide. It's still a work in progress but a lot of FAQ's are answered already. If you are looking to take a break from Starcraft 2, just sayin.
- I've been meaning to write a blog on a review about the Ultramarine movie but again not enough time. To be quick I would give it 3/5 stars. They should have gone with a different animation studio and not the one who did the Lego movies. Also it was far too short to get any sense of the drama, even if you already knew the lore.
Giant Bomb I visit Giant Bomb every day and this is the place where I get most of my gaming news. There is nothing I want more than to see this website grow, so I'm just gonna list some thoughts, suggestions and comments. If you don't agree with me please tell me but keep the trolling to yourself. I would like a discussion, and not internet stupidity.
- First off I would like to say good-bye to Brad Nicholson. He is no longer apart of the Giant Bomb family and it makes me kinda sad. For the most part he was pretty responsive to the community or at least me when it came to news. I know some people didn't like him, but hell he was better than not have having a news guy at all (at the time).
- With that I would like to welcome, Patrick Klepek. So far you have been doing a great job and I hope you are a permanent 5th seat on the Bombcast.
- I see that the subscriber count is stuck around 9500 people for the world tour. Granted I'm not one of them but feel I'm still not getting enough out of the price. I don't care for theater mode, HD, or the live casts (as I miss them when they are going on and the post footage isn't as entertaining). Maybe if they had more ads on the site to annoy me I would sub.
- I would like to have friends instead of followers. Having a friends feels like more of a mutual agreement, while having to follow someone or to be follow feels just creepy.
- I wish there was a Retribution TNT. (I would skip class/work for that)
- I feel that if whiskey media continues to expand to other sites, it will drain more resources away from Giant Bomb. Thus creating even more shortage of videos and quality on Giant Bomb. I would not like this to happen.