Retro Button Mashing Pilot and Episodes 1-2

Yo.  I just discovered this.  I'm sure plenty of people already saw these videos since many of you shifted from Gamespot to GB but this is for people like me who have never seen the show or known the guys before the Giant Bomb era.  However if you want to just relive the old days thats cool too.  I'll probably post the episodes 1-3 at a time.  I don't know if this will be weekly or daily but here goes.  Hopefully this doesn't count as spam

EDIT:  I didn't explain anything about the show.
The contestants (three of them) play three rounds.  After each round a contestant is eliminated.
Round 1: The contestants must complete a series of tasks racing against the clock and the times set by other opponents.  A task could be do 2 reverse 360 drifts in Ridge Racer or kill 5 enemies in Contra.
Round 2: The 2 remaining contestants must watch a series of short clips of video games.  After they are shown the clips they must recall as many as they can.  The one who remembers the most wins.
Round 3:  The remaining contestant must get in a "duel" with a 3rd party against their own game.  (In the pilot contestant Ryan chooses to face off against Greg in SFII, which Greg is considered to be the best in the office.)

Watch Sales Showdown here if the vid below doesn't work.
  
    
    

23 Comments
24 Comments
Edited by SethPhotopoulos

Yo.  I just discovered this.  I'm sure plenty of people already saw these videos since many of you shifted from Gamespot to GB but this is for people like me who have never seen the show or known the guys before the Giant Bomb era.  However if you want to just relive the old days thats cool too.  I'll probably post the episodes 1-3 at a time.  I don't know if this will be weekly or daily but here goes.  Hopefully this doesn't count as spam

EDIT:  I didn't explain anything about the show.
The contestants (three of them) play three rounds.  After each round a contestant is eliminated.
Round 1: The contestants must complete a series of tasks racing against the clock and the times set by other opponents.  A task could be do 2 reverse 360 drifts in Ridge Racer or kill 5 enemies in Contra.
Round 2: The 2 remaining contestants must watch a series of short clips of video games.  After they are shown the clips they must recall as many as they can.  The one who remembers the most wins.
Round 3:  The remaining contestant must get in a "duel" with a 3rd party against their own game.  (In the pilot contestant Ryan chooses to face off against Greg in SFII, which Greg is considered to be the best in the office.)

Watch Sales Showdown here if the vid below doesn't work.
  
    
    

Posted by supermike6

Yeah, I went back and watched all the episodes a couple years back. Great show.

Posted by NegativeCero
@SethPhotopoulos: Out of curiosity did you find it hard to find these? The last time I went to look through their old videos, they either weren't there or cumbersome to navigate through.
Posted by SethPhotopoulos
@NegativeCero said:
" @SethPhotopoulos: Out of curiosity did you find it hard to find these? The last time I went to look through their old videos, they either weren't there or cumbersome to navigate through. "
At first yes but as soon as I found 1 episode I could get to the other 22.
Posted by scarace360

MASH DEM BUTTONS DAWG!

Posted by TooWalrus

You have to be a paying member to download Gamespot videos, eh? What kind of horse-shit system is that? Fuck Gamespot!


Just kidding, I still love you, Gamespot, we're just too different- it's not you, it's me.
Posted by SethPhotopoulos
@TooWalrus said:
" You have to be a paying member to download Gamespot videos, eh? What kind of horse-shit system is that? Fuck Gamespot!

Just kidding, I still love you, Gamespot, we're just too different- it's not you, it's me.
"
You scared me for a sec I thought the videos didn't work for a minute until I realized download was not the same as watch.
Posted by TooWalrus

That is a LARGE TV for 2004ish

Posted by SethPhotopoulos
@TooWalrus said:
" That is a LARGE TV for 2004ish "
PS2 fats could output in 1080p obviously.  It needed to be huge!
Edited by Afroman269

Awesome, I'm going to go through all these again. Also, not to sound like a dick but seeing Ryan in that pilot just makes me realize how hella huge he is now......damn.

Posted by joey

And doesn't vinny host the later episodes?

Posted by SethPhotopoulos
@joey said:
" And doesn't vinny host the later episodes? "
I haven't made it that far but if Rich has left by that point it wouldn't surprise me.
Posted by c_rakestraw
@joey said:
" And doesn't vinny host the later episodes? "
Yeah, he hosted the last two episodes after Rich left. He did a good job, actually.
Edited by Underachiever007

I think I'm going to go back and watch through all of these again.

Posted by ajamafalous

Super stoked to rewatch some.

Posted by EuanDewar

Jesus christ, in one of the later episodes the end boss is Jack Black.

Posted by SethPhotopoulos
@EuanDewar said:
" Jesus christ, in one of the later episodes the end boss is Jack Black. "
Thats true for most things though.
Posted by LordAndrew
@C_Rakestraw said:
" @joey said:
" And doesn't vinny host the later episodes? "
Yeah, he hosted the last two episodes after Rich left. He did a good job, actually. "
I don't remember watching those. I didn't even realize they existed when I questioned whether the new Rich-less Button Mashing could work. But hey, he did a fine job hosting the HotSpot too, even though few people here would have ever listened to those episodes. :(
Posted by c_rakestraw
@LordAndrew said:
" @C_Rakestraw said:
" @joey said:
" And doesn't vinny host the later episodes? "
Yeah, he hosted the last two episodes after Rich left. He did a good job, actually. "
I don't remember watching those. I didn't even realize they existed when I questioned whether the new Rich-less Button Mashing could work. But hey, he did a fine job hosting the HotSpot too, even though few people here would have ever listened to those episodes. :( "
Damn shame, too, 'cause those episodes had some great moments in them.
Edited by spankingaddict

AWESOME!!!!

These were good times back in the good 'ol Gamespot days...

Posted by DeeGee

They look so young, it's strange.

Online
Posted by SethPhotopoulos
@DeeGee said:
" They look so young, it's strange. "
The episode with Matt is scary since his voice is higher than it is now.
Posted by LiquidSwords

  

  :(
Posted by itsdatkid

Very cool i haven't seen this in years.  The old gamespot was a great site.