BC2 vs MW2

THE BEEF

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a blog about Splinter Cell Conviction. Of the comments I received the most poignant was perhaps:

Emilio said: 

"I hate every fucking game on the Xbox360 and PS3 whipping out their dick, pretending that they're some fucking shitty Hollywood movie."

Whilst many will leap to disagree, I kind of see what he means - though I wouldn't limit the dick-whipping to only the 360 and PS3. There is a habit amongst games, specifically action games, to go the B-Movie route of big guns and explosions. Modern Warfare 2 was described by several people I know to be the videogame equivalent of Transformers 2. Transformers 2, voted worst film of the year. Awesome.
 

Modern Warfare 2

 is, in retrospective, a little cliche'. The gameplay is top notch, the graphics are stunning, the voice acting is bearable and the storyline doesn't make sense. The game seeks to measure success by the frequency with which the players jaw hits the floor in disbelief. MW2 is forced into a scale of constant escalation in which each explosion must be bigger and more impressive than the last. It can only be described as intense - but a sincere intensity which contrasts with the over the top and frequently Steven Segal-esqu action film it attempts to embody. It's a game which asks to be taken seriously despite being openly ridiculous. It's a little exhausting.
 

So then there's Bad Company 2

 which is a little more laid back. And by a little I mean only a little. You get a bit more banter and light hearted joking around amidst the horrific warzone in which you are enveloped, but there are just as many explosions and ridiculous action sequences. "I'm gunna kick that mortar guy's ass!" screams Haggard as the the squad rushes down a street with buildings on either side exploding and cascading the player in rubble.
 
There are times in Bad Company 2 where the foundations of the gameplay are exposed. There are some sections where you have to run from point A to point B avoiding explosions and mortar fire which are quite obviously designed to show-off the destructible environments and buildings and not actually to cause any harm to the player. There was an enemy who stood motionlessly in the same room as myself for several minutes absorbing bullet after bullet before I walked forward and triggered the animation of Sarge rushing in and stabbing him in the neck. The geeky guy on your squad apparently knows how to work a satellite. There is even a section where you must bounce through an arctic blizzard rushing from house to house to keep warm. I shit you not.

 Bad Company 2 would probably have been better to further pursue the parody of wargames which it sometimes attests to be. There are times when the Bad Company 2 chooses to be sincere and cheesy when it could have easily been a little more lighthearted. Whilst Bad Company may shyly poke fun at Modern Warfare 2 it seems to be a suspiciously similar game. There are moments when the experience assumes narrative directions which just seem inappropriate to the aesthetic of the game. Despite the "Bad Company" tag on the box, this new Battlefield title ends up being another melodramatic war game which takes itself slightly too seriously. The characters, designed to be laid back, often find themselves being too serious for comfort. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun to play. It's just... disappointing. 
 

So, in summary:

Yes, both these action games are closely related to shitty American action movies. Probably because these movies are the movies that the majority of people want to see. I'm sure these developers are completely capable of making something genuinely meaningful, but whether the public would respond as enthusiastically as they did to Transformers 2 is doubtful. Given a choice more people would opt to watch Transformers 2 than Pride and Prejudice. It's a sad existence in which we live. 
 
As for the multiplayer? I'm sure by now if you have any interest in online FPS multiplayer you already know which you are going to enjoy more. The multiplayer to the series is, at the very least, constant.
 
Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
21 Comments
21 Comments
Edited by Sweep

THE BEEF

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a blog about Splinter Cell Conviction. Of the comments I received the most poignant was perhaps:

Emilio said: 

"I hate every fucking game on the Xbox360 and PS3 whipping out their dick, pretending that they're some fucking shitty Hollywood movie."

Whilst many will leap to disagree, I kind of see what he means - though I wouldn't limit the dick-whipping to only the 360 and PS3. There is a habit amongst games, specifically action games, to go the B-Movie route of big guns and explosions. Modern Warfare 2 was described by several people I know to be the videogame equivalent of Transformers 2. Transformers 2, voted worst film of the year. Awesome.
 

Modern Warfare 2

 is, in retrospective, a little cliche'. The gameplay is top notch, the graphics are stunning, the voice acting is bearable and the storyline doesn't make sense. The game seeks to measure success by the frequency with which the players jaw hits the floor in disbelief. MW2 is forced into a scale of constant escalation in which each explosion must be bigger and more impressive than the last. It can only be described as intense - but a sincere intensity which contrasts with the over the top and frequently Steven Segal-esqu action film it attempts to embody. It's a game which asks to be taken seriously despite being openly ridiculous. It's a little exhausting.
 

So then there's Bad Company 2

 which is a little more laid back. And by a little I mean only a little. You get a bit more banter and light hearted joking around amidst the horrific warzone in which you are enveloped, but there are just as many explosions and ridiculous action sequences. "I'm gunna kick that mortar guy's ass!" screams Haggard as the the squad rushes down a street with buildings on either side exploding and cascading the player in rubble.
 
There are times in Bad Company 2 where the foundations of the gameplay are exposed. There are some sections where you have to run from point A to point B avoiding explosions and mortar fire which are quite obviously designed to show-off the destructible environments and buildings and not actually to cause any harm to the player. There was an enemy who stood motionlessly in the same room as myself for several minutes absorbing bullet after bullet before I walked forward and triggered the animation of Sarge rushing in and stabbing him in the neck. The geeky guy on your squad apparently knows how to work a satellite. There is even a section where you must bounce through an arctic blizzard rushing from house to house to keep warm. I shit you not.

 Bad Company 2 would probably have been better to further pursue the parody of wargames which it sometimes attests to be. There are times when the Bad Company 2 chooses to be sincere and cheesy when it could have easily been a little more lighthearted. Whilst Bad Company may shyly poke fun at Modern Warfare 2 it seems to be a suspiciously similar game. There are moments when the experience assumes narrative directions which just seem inappropriate to the aesthetic of the game. Despite the "Bad Company" tag on the box, this new Battlefield title ends up being another melodramatic war game which takes itself slightly too seriously. The characters, designed to be laid back, often find themselves being too serious for comfort. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun to play. It's just... disappointing. 
 

So, in summary:

Yes, both these action games are closely related to shitty American action movies. Probably because these movies are the movies that the majority of people want to see. I'm sure these developers are completely capable of making something genuinely meaningful, but whether the public would respond as enthusiastically as they did to Transformers 2 is doubtful. Given a choice more people would opt to watch Transformers 2 than Pride and Prejudice. It's a sad existence in which we live. 
 
As for the multiplayer? I'm sure by now if you have any interest in online FPS multiplayer you already know which you are going to enjoy more. The multiplayer to the series is, at the very least, constant.
 
Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
Moderator
Posted by Ubiquitous

Another comparison.... 
 
But I do agree with you that the campaign could have been a little more lighthearted, and it took itself a little too seriously. I think I liked the first one's campaign better. But then again I don't really care, the game is all about the multiplayer, which has some issues, but is great nonetheless.

Posted by Jakii

Er.. yeah.

Posted by Agent47CSim2
@Sweep said:
 The multiplayer to the series is, at the very least, constant.  "
In my opinion it's also better than MW2's.
Posted by zudthespud

I've just finished mission 9 of BC2's campaign and overall I'm a  little disappointed. The grand scale of the first game isn't there, and I agree, the story is too serious. If it weren't for the (IMO) excellent characters I wouldn't be compelled to finish it.

Posted by Oni

But what do YOU think of the multiplayer?
 
Personally, having played a FUCKTON of MW2 and a lot of the BC2 demo and some of the retail, I think both serve a very different purpose. While both games have pretty similar single player campaigns (though I think BC2's campaign is shallow and poor, especially in contrast with its rich and deep multiplayer component), the multiplayer components could scarcely be more different from one another, given they're both military FPS games. I enjoy both on their own terms, is what i'm saying. It's kind of apples and oranges, though.
 
SP is no contest, MW2 hands down. Yeah the story is incoherent as fuck, but it's also very entertaining. BC2's SP is just kind of tired and cliche.

Posted by kmdrkul

I liked what you wrote about MW2.  The thread title is bound to usher in arguments, though.

Posted by AhmadMetallic
@Sweep said:
"

Modern Warfare 2

 is, in retrospective, a little cliche'. The gameplay is top notch, the graphics are stunning, the voice acting is bearable and the storyline doesn't make sense."
lol achieved ! 
 
 
Though i hate all these bc2 vs mw2 comparisons, Good read.
Posted by Sweep
@Oni said:
" But what do YOU think of the multiplayer?  Personally, having played a FUCKTON of MW2 and a lot of the BC2 demo and some of the retail, I think both serve a very different purpose. While both games have pretty similar single player campaigns (though I think BC2's campaign is shallow and poor, especially in contrast with its rich and deep multiplayer component), the multiplayer components could scarcely be more different from one another, given they're both military FPS games. I enjoy both on their own terms, is what i'm saying. It's kind of apples and oranges, though.  SP is no contest, MW2 hands down. Yeah the story is incoherent as fuck, but it's also very entertaining. BC2's SP is just kind of tired and cliche. "
i'm not really trying to talk about the multiplayer here. I just wanted to look at the narrative storytelling in response to Emilios comment. I like them both :)
Moderator
Posted by Out_On_Bail

Finally a comparison to the two games that barely even touches the multiplayer. Good read, Sweep. I enjoyed that.  It was different then all of the other fanboy bashing of one or the other.

Posted by TheFreeMan

Now, I say it's time to rescue that commie, liberal pinko pilot that I like to call "my friend".
 
For some reason, I really loved BC2's campaign.
 
Good read, though, lots of good points.The fact that Transformers 2 is considered a desirable outcome for a movie is goddamn horrific.

Posted by CitizenKane

While I would usually lock BC2 vs. MW2 threads in a heartbeat, Sweep has actually added some insight into this now loathed discussion.

Posted by Claude

I would rather watch Pride and Prejudice, maybe that's why I'm playing the sweeping epic that is Endless Ocean: Blue World.
Posted by RandomInternetUser

I can see what you're saying, but how fun would Modern Warfare 2 be if it had no crazy ass over the top explosions and sequences?  How cheesy would it be if suddenly after all Call of Duty games have a serious tone, MW2, probably the most anticipated Call of Duty game, suddenly took a laid back and parody-based story.  While I agree the game takes itself too seriously for its own good, I still would prefer it to do that than to become laid back and "funny".  To me, the best Modern Warfare could be is a game that takes itself seriously, has a plausible story, but still has those moments where you're like "Holy shit, did that just happen?" but toned to a point where they seem plausible.
 
On the topic of BC2, I cannot discuss, for I haven't played the game.

Posted by Sweep
@xobballox said:
" I can see what you're saying, but how fun would Modern Warfare 2 be if it had no crazy ass over the top explosions and sequences?  How cheesy would it be if suddenly after all Call of Duty games have a serious tone, MW2, probably the most anticipated Call of Duty game, suddenly took a laid back and parody-based story.  While I agree the game takes itself too seriously for its own good, I still would prefer it to do that than to become laid back and "funny".  To me, the best Modern Warfare could be is a game that takes itself seriously, has a plausible story, but still has those moments where you're like "Holy shit, did that just happen?" but toned to a point where they seem plausible.  On the topic of BC2, I cannot discuss, for I haven't played the game. "
This wasn't what I was trying to say. This only works in the context of Bad Company 2 - a game which from the title down is supposed to be about unorthodox soldiers - but which turn out to be the same orthodox soldiers of every other damn game. I was merely comparing that to the super "realism" or Modern Warfare 2 which actually exposes how ridiculous it really is by trying to impose everything upon the player with full sincerity.
Moderator
Posted by RandomInternetUser
@Sweep said:
" @xobballox said:
" I can see what you're saying, but how fun would Modern Warfare 2 be if it had no crazy ass over the top explosions and sequences?  How cheesy would it be if suddenly after all Call of Duty games have a serious tone, MW2, probably the most anticipated Call of Duty game, suddenly took a laid back and parody-based story.  While I agree the game takes itself too seriously for its own good, I still would prefer it to do that than to become laid back and "funny".  To me, the best Modern Warfare could be is a game that takes itself seriously, has a plausible story, but still has those moments where you're like "Holy shit, did that just happen?" but toned to a point where they seem plausible.  On the topic of BC2, I cannot discuss, for I haven't played the game. "
This wasn't what I was trying to say. This only works in the context of Bad Company 2 - a game which from the title down is supposed to be about unorthodox soldiers - but which turn out to be the same orthodox soldiers of every other damn game. I was merely comparing that to the super "realism" or Modern Warfare 2 which actually exposes how ridiculous it really is by trying to impose everything upon the player with full sincerity. "
I see.  I definitely agree that it is too ridiculous for its own good.
Posted by crunchUK

I also get what you're saying. The original bad company did not take itself seriously, and as a result it was excellent. BC2 DOES take itself seriously, even though there isn't a better plot line at all, and it just makes you cringe and cheapens the whole thing. 
 
As for multiplayer, i don't think either is very good in a strategic depth kind of way. However, MW2 is extremely chaotic, whereas BC2 is oh so slow, especially when the offense is sat behind a tree with snipers and the defense behind the walls with SMGs... so i guess MW2 wins for at least having lulz merit, even if it is broken here and there.

Posted by pwnasaurus
@Claude said:
"I would rather watch Pride and Prejudice, maybe that's why I'm playing the sweeping epic that is Endless Ocean: Blue World. "

pfft you didnt even get red world! lame.
Posted by natetodamax

The only thing that needs to be said here is BC2>MW2

Posted by TheGremp

Ha...  People are still comparing BC2 to MW2, as if MW2 even comes close?  Silly, silly.

Posted by EpicSteve

Multiplayer wise, I vastly prefer BC2. I feel like there's a lot more going on and the game does a good job in creating chaotic situations without getting unmanageably crazy.