Just going to throw an update here for those who care. I'll address some comments and suggestions that I've seen in this thread:
- Looks like I'll be able to keep the house. The property value has gone up significantly, and we've decided that we'll get it appraised and she will get half of what the profit would have been had we sold it. It's a crazy huge amount (I'll be cutting a check for approx $40k), but I'll manage. Bottom line: I get to KEEP THE FUCKING HOUSE!!
- I pay her 25% of my pay per pay period for the next 5 years.
- She gets half the pension. With my job, and in my country (Canada), this is inevitable.
- Asset division shouldn't be a problem. It hasn't been thus far. I know what's hers and she knows what's mine and I don't really care enough about the stuff we both claim to fight for it.
Things I've learned:
- Don't get married. At least not without a pre-nup. Even if she is the girl of your dreams, ten years down the road she may not be and then all the hard work you've put into your career gets burned.
- Don't have kids. This could be so much worse.
- Duders...live for your happiness. Fight for your happiness. If you are in a rotten relationship, get the hell out. Getting this divorce, even though money is going to be brutal here on out, is the best decision I've made. I haven't felt this free or this happy in decade.