I do like stealth games and I'm actually enjoying Thief so far. Yeah the story may not be all that but that is not the reason I play these games, . Also don't take what the GB crew says about stealth games as gospel because they've been very vocal about their dislike of the genre. I'm not saying they're wrong, it's just that I'd rather judge something myself rather than leave it up to someone who actively dislikes something I have an interest in.
So far I'm loving:
- Having a stat screen at the end of a level, just like Chaos Theory did back in '05. Small thing but important to me.
- The ability to evade everyone, as in no forced encounters (at least so far)
- Being weak compared to the enemies, because fighting them would make the whole thing pointless to me.
- The ability to make the game as hard or as easy as I want it. So many modifiers yo!
- A great variety of approaches to each situation. That's why I loved Human Revolution so much.
What I don't like:
- The lame story, because stealth games can have awesome stories too.
- Auto-closing windows
- Some performance issues
- Only one throw-able object in my inventory. Does that require an upgrade? Dude has like 60 spoons and goblets on his person but can't hold two liquor bottles to throw?
It's not a perfect game but if you're into the genre I would give it a shot. It's true that your options are limited when compared to Dishonored, but that doesn't make Thief less of a game, as some wolves would have you believe.