Shame that the story elements of Halo 2 seem to overshadow all the good things that game that and the huge refinements it made to the series.
- Vehicle takedowns/hijacking - possibly the most copied feature since
- Removal of all health packs - fully recharging HP
- That covenant sword lock-on risk/reward epicness
- The fun of dual wielding
- A massively better looking game
- The best multiplayer maps in the entire series
- A fantastic match-making system (a first for consoles) and all that brought with it
Sure, a lot of these were apparent in the multiplayer but whenever people refer to Halo 2 as a disappointment, I have to remind them that in terms of gameplay, it was the high-point of the series. Now that was combat evolved, while Halo 3's messy deployables just overly-complicated an already elegant system and the complete nerf to dual wielding lessened options. Let's face it, the BR became the defacto weapon from that game onwards which I think is a damn shame.