By ZombiePie 28 Comments
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight, I am your host as always! Now the Community Spotlight has, and always will be a personally run blog that seeks to showcase the best of the Giant Bomb Community. However, in light of recent events it is important to link to staff written pieces and articles on the site. Please if you have not done so already read @jeff's "Letter From the Editor," and I really do mean sit down and read it. Understand also that we have a separate discussion thread pertaining to this article over here. If the comment thread is locked please wait for it to become unlocked, as these "breaks" from discussion are temporary. Similarly, please read and review our new Community Rules. These Community Rules are a reformed and improved version of the old Forum Rules, and if you would like to discuss particular rules, notable changes, and/or why this was done to head on over to our Community Rules Discussion Thread here.
With all of this housekeeping completed I would like for all of you to join me in thanking @alexisg for all of his hard work on the site. The current site that we are using right now owes a great deal to him and his team. For those that do not know, this was Alexis's last week as an employee of CBSi, and if you have not done so already please wish him the best here.
Clip(s) of the Week
@turboman has a new episode of his "Best of Giant Bomb" video series, and this episode features some of the best moments from Unprofessional Fridays. @theburlaplemur is still making episodes of his "Bitesize Bomb" series which seeks to locate the best moments of every Quick Look. Finally someone on YouTube decided to input musical segments from the Bombcast into Vib-Ribbon.
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! Steam Co-Op Hookup Thread - Get a Partner Over Here!
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! PS3 Co-Op Hookup Thread - Get a Partner Over Here!
BIG GAMES ARE STARTING TO COME OUT! The Evil Within, Bayonetta 2, and Borderlands: The Pre-sequel all grace us this week and all feature impressive wiki pages worth checking out!
Best of Blog
The top blog of the week comes from BlazeHedgehog who systematically details the horror game he almost made. Speaking of spooky blogs this week TheManWithNoPlan has Dead Space for part three of his Shocktober blog series, and he is joined by CornBREDX who used October as an excuse to re-play the original Alone in the Dark. Mento published a smattering of blogs this week as part of his "Octurbo" blog series pertaining to the TurboGrafx-CD, ranging from Star Parodier to Strider this week. Speaking of long running blog series MeatsofEvil has another update on his Persona 3 marathon run for Extra Life 2014.TurboMan not only has a "Best of Giant Bomb" video this week, but is also looking for suggestions for a proper tribute to Alexis. Regularassmilk defends Kiefer, but is talking about the new voice actor for Big Boss and not the breakfast yogurt. Having recently played Shadow of Mordor Kierkegaard explains why he enjoys how the game makes even the simplest kills complicated, whereas ZZoMBiE13 extrapolates on the game concepts from Shadow of Mordor that he hopes future games steal. GrantHeaslip decided to give character action games a shot, and Metal Gear Rising is the game he decided to use to help introduce the genre to himself. Demoskinos has an anime nightmare of a game called Shinobi Versus that he is sharing with the community. thatpinguino continues to get introspective about the original Mass Effect and this week he discusses why he enjoys the wonkiness of the combat in the game. Granderojo shares why Contrast is an independent oddity worth experiencing, and finally ArbitraryWater makes his triumphant return to blogging with a couple of recent CRPGs.
- Once Upon a Time, I Tried To Make a Horror Game (By: @blazehedgehog)
- Best of Giant Bomb 69 - I'm Alex Navarro (By: @turboman)
- Virtual Shocktober - Part 3 (Dead Space) (By: @themanwithnoplan)
- We Need To Talk About Kiefer (By: @regularassmilk)
- Shadow of Mordor Makes Killing Feel Complicated and That's a Good Thing (By: @kierkegaard)
- I Hope Shadow of Mordor Gets Ripped Off... a Lot (By: @zzombie13)
- My Journey to Extra Life 2014: Persona 3 - Week 5 (By: @meatsofevil)
- Gaming in Unfamiliar Territory: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (By: @grantheaslip)
- Halloween 2014: Alone in the Dark Part 1 (By: @cornbredx)
- Shinovi Versus First Impressions: A Bouncy Good Time (By: @demoskinos)
- Deep Look: Mass Effect- Gotta Love That Funky Combat (By: @thatpinguino)
- Vaudevillian Design & Daddy Issues (By: @granderojo)
- I Still Occasionally Play Video Games (and Other Wonderful Uses of Time and Money) (By: @arbitrarywater)
- Octurbo: Star Parodier (By: @mento)
We have BabaORiely to thank for the Dr. Tracksuit "Push" sign, which was inspired by an episode of WWE RAW. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is out, and if you have been enjoying a particular character build remember to share your skill tree on our thread. Also, feel free to share your early impressions of the game as well. If Lords of the Fallen is in your radar share why you plan on purchasing the game, and finally we have a discussion thread over what the most "beautiful" open world game is.
- Push Dr. Tracksuit Sign (By: @babaoriely)
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! Character Skill Tree Discussion Thread (By: @sparky_buzzsaw)
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Early Impressions Thread (By: @adequatelyprepared)
- What's the Most Beautiful Open World Game to You? (By: @jeust)
- Will You Be Picking Up Lords of the Fallen? (By: @sterling)
This week we have joe423 annotating his favorite games of all time, and oraknabo not only takes some of his favorite games, but lists out the flaws to all of them as well.