By ZombiePie 20 Comments
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! As many of you now know our very own Vinny Caravella plans on relocating to New York City in the near future. Vinny will be joining Alex Navarro to provide the site with a deluge of East Coast based content the site and will not be leaving entirely. Vinny has written an article detailing his plans for the future over here. As you might expect Jeff, and the rest of the staff, have plans to "shake things up" for the Bombcast, and the team is already narrowing down the field for the prospective new associate editor position. Now on to bugs! For many of you that have tried joining us on the live chat the last couple of time you may have noticed that there has been a little "funkiness." The engineers plan on ironing out the chat issues so it will be all set for the insanity of E3. Finally join everyone else in thanking Rorie, Alexis, Drew, and Danny for doing the Operation Supply Drop live stream last weekend.
More GBNY Fan Art
Thanks go to @sgtsphynx @monkeyman04 @tom_omb @bulby33 @finaldasa @evophile @beyond_the_infinite @msx2 @zleunamme @selbie @blurienh @graboids @damodar @topcat88 @professoress @purplespandex @screamingghost @chumley_marchbanks @monkeyking1969 for making all of this Great GBNY fanart!
- Giant Bomb New York Banner/Logo Creation Thread - Create Banners for the Newly Expanded GBNY Division Over Here!
- Giant Bomb Hearthstone Community Tournament - All Set for June 1st - Signup Over Here!
- Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign Giant Bomb Community Guild is Recruiting - Join Other Users in Marvel Puzzle Quest By Heading Over Here!
Clip of the Week
We see the return of animated versions of the Giant Bombcast this week with the staff's war against nature as the featured segment for this clip. Also, we have John Drake singing. There's nothing else to say.
Transistor is the big game of the week, to be expected there is much love for Supergiant Games' latest hot product. Yummylee (again) threatened to strap me down again unless I showcased some stuff he did on a Resident Evil page...this time he used used Paul W.S. Anderson's films as a threat.
Best of Blogs
The top blog of the week comes from Wrighteous86 who has recently become engaged to fellow Giant Bomb user DuskVamp! So wish them the best in their future! ViciousBearMauling saw the film adaptation of Person 3 and details why he feels it was more successful in adapting the spirit of the Persona franchise than the Persona 4 anime. LordAndrew celebrated the end of Wi-Fi support on the Wii the only way he knew...by playing a bunch of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. bobafettjm is back as to be expected with a summary of his Steam gaming and plans for the Giant Bomb wiki. Also back like clockwork are Mento, with two new editions of his May Melange blog series, and Video_Game_King with a contrarian perspective related to Half-Life 2: Episode Two. MikeLemmer has a blog explaining why the game he's most looking forward to playing is Tropico 5. GrantHeaslip graces us with two blogs this week. The first extrapolates on the flawed but enjoyable Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and the second expands on why he thinks Spirit Tracks may be one of the worst games in the main Legend of Zelda franchise. With some decent sunlight crithon decided to go back to Boktai and blogs about why he still feels conflicted about the game. Praxis has another travelogue related to his dark descent into the mad world of user created maps for Doom. On a similar note asurg blogged about why he loves modding games and messing around with the Steam Workshop. StarvingGamer breaks down Wizards of the Coast's lawsuit against HEX and what this may mean for future Kickstarter and card battle games. Using Super Time Force as a case study TheMasterDS details his penchant for large casts in video games. Fighting game fans should check out FLStyle's blog that has the event list for the tenth and final edition of UFGTX! JJWeatherman stands up for Monument Valley and details why it's a little game worth checking out. Dakempster has a new edition of his Pokemon FireRed let's play, and finally regularassmilk uses Phil Fish to lament the rapid end of artists as game developers.
- Giant Bomb MAX Social Link (By: @wrighteous86)
- My Thoughts on Persona 3: Spring of Birth (By: @viciousbearmauling)
- Weekly Wiki Update - Friday, May 23rd 2014 (By: @bobafettjm)
- Nintendo Wi-Fi Disconnection: The Final Smash (By: @lordandrew)
- Mento's May Madness Melange: #8 - Quick Look Champions [Part #7: JRPG-likes](By: @mento)
- Nintendo Wi-Fi Disconnection: The Final Smash (By: @lordandrew)
- I Just Had to End it on a Half-Life 2 Reference (By: @video_game_king)
- Transitioning to Tropico (By: @mikelemmer)
- Enslaved: Odyssey to the West: Idiosyncratic, Flawed, Yet Endearing (By: @grantheaslip)
- Debtating Boktai (By: @crithon)
- Doom Travelogues 01: Even Deeper (By: @praxis)
- WotC Can't Stand the Heat, Tries to Kick Other Cook Out of the Kitchen (By: @starvinggamer)
- Out In Force: Stray Thoughts About Large Casts (By: @themasterds)
- UFGTX Preview (May 23rd-25th, Live from Chicago) & FGC News! The Last Ever UFGT! Street Fighter, Lethal League & More! (By: @flstyle)
- Shouting Into the Void? Creating Content in the Video Gaming Community (By: @asurg)
- Pokémon FireRed Nuzlocke Challenge - Part Eight (By: @dankempster)
- Monument Valley: In Which JJ Enjoys a Unique Experience (By: @jjweatherman)
- The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks is Exasperatingly Unfun (By: @grantheaslip)
- Phil Fish, the Death of the Artist, and the Future of Video Games (By: @regularassmilk)
Transistor is out and you all should feel free to join the community discussion about the game, positive or negative, on our discussion thread. Also join our discussions over which games you would play on an Unprofessional Fridays segment, as well as sharing old games that you continue to find yourself discovering new stuff in. There is also a community effort to develop lyrics for "Barkerville," ala John Drake, and talking Jeff appearance on the latest Bonus Round!
- Transistor Discussion Thread (By: @adam1808)
- What Game Would you Play on Unprofessional Fridays? (By: @mintyice)
- Games That You're Still Surprised you Find New Things in (By: @demoskinos)
- Let's Make a 'Barkerville' Song! - Calling all GB Musicians (By: @spikedelight)
- Jeff on GameTrailer's Bonus Round Discussion Thread (By: @csl316)
Inspired by Transistor Mento has started working on a list of anthropomorphic weapons in video games. If you notice any gaps in his fossil records to chime in with recommendations. Taku128 on the other hand has finally gotten around to listing out the games from the last generation that really struck a cord with him.
Useful User Reviews
- @mikelemmer's review of Transistor
- @adam1808's review of Transistor
- @sparky_buzzsaw's review of Tales of Graces F
- @wemibelec90's review of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
- @wemibelec90's review of Miasmata