By ZombiePie 23 Comments
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! I am your host as always. Well let's talk about not being a dick. As some of you may or may not be aware of we have seen an increase in trollish behavior on staff articles. The stance of the Giant Bomb staff and the moderation team is simple. Everyone is free to level criticism related to the site and opinions shared by the staff in a civil and constructive manner. What you cannot do is devolve to insults, nor are you allowed to attack the character of any staff member or users in an inflammatory manner. Failing to abide by this very simple directive is in violation of the Forum Rules of this site and will result in moderation. In happier news feel free to give the latest episode of the "Just Talking" Podcast which features our very own Patrick as a guest! Mr. Rorie has announced that Giant Bomb is looking into doing some hiring to bring some new faces to the site.
Clips of the Week
We have two fantastic videos this week. The first of which comes from @wallofbricks who has compiled all of Patrick's best deaths from his Spelunkin' video series. Next we have @turboman who has another episode of his Best of Giant Bomb series.
- Giant Bomb Bravely Default Friend Code Exchange Thread - Get Some Street Pass Friends to Help you Default Faster Over Here!
It comes as no surprise that Lightning Returns has a well done and impressive wiki. However, you might be surprised to see that the new Steel Diver page is completely filled as well as our Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze page.
Best of Blogs
Special thanks go to greenseaweed for the touching Ryan drawing used for the banner this week. Gamer_152 re-examines Proteus now that he's picked up on a new dimension about the game. MMMman and Deathpooky both defend the free to play model including the "wait to play" strategy. DonPixel is playing the Titanfall beta for both the Xbox One and PC and shares the differences as well as which version he plans on buying. Mento has a handful of games that surprised him this week from Remember Me to Shufflepuck. Tarfuin explains why the second half of Gone Home soured him on the entire experience. thatpinguino has two blogs that extrapolate on why he thinks Double Fine is helping to usher in a new "Renaissance" in the games industry. PerfidiousSinn makes no qualms about being late, but you should still check out his 2013 Game of the Year list anyways. MooseyMcMan comments on his experiences with Outlast and the reaction to Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes. Similarly halomaste19 explains why he thinks the internet needs to chill out about Ground Zeroes length and price. TheMasterDS wants you to hear out a conspiracy he has related to the Metroid franchise that may seem Zeitgeist worthy. Starshine_m2a2 breaks down how GTA V satirizes the ideal of the "melting pot" theory for its story and why he thinks it's successful in doing so. Finally F1000003 is back in his effort to play "All the Video Games," and this week talks about 'dillos.
- Ryan Davis Drawing (By: @greenseaweed)
- "Turn-based Strategy Games That Look Like Old Disney Movies" and Other Wonderful Uses of Time and Money (By: @arbitrarywater)
- Fire Emblem's in the Toilet, Kids (By: @video_game_king)
- The Nature of Proteus (By: @gamer_152)
- I Want to be Stereotyped/I Want to be Classified: This Week I Like Microtransactions in my Games on My Phone (By: @mmmman)
- In Defense of Free to Wait (How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Timer) (By: @deathpooky)
- Titanfall Beta Impressions (By: @donpixel)
- Sensen and Sensibility. And Shufflepucks (By: @mento)
- So I Just Played: Gone Home (By: @tarfuin)
- Double Fine’s Path to a Gaming Renaissance (By: @thatpinguino)
- Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight 2014: A New Gaming Renaissance (By: @thatpinguino)
- My Very Late 2013 Game of the Year List (By: @perfidioussinn)
- Blog Blog Blog: Outlasting Outlast, or Metal Gear Something Something (By: @mooseymcman)
- Metroid Conspiracy Theory (By: @themasterds)
- Why the Internet Should Probably Relax About Ground Zeroes (By: @halomaste19)
- The Melting Pot - Grand Theft Auto V's Los Angeles (By: @starshine_m2a2)
- Playing All the Video Games - Part 000020 ('dillos) (By: @f1000003)
We have a myriad of creative users this week. Firstly we have wallofbricks who provided the Patrick death video. MutenMiller on the other hand has created his own game that features the Giant Bomb staff! Check it out and play it and give him some input on how to improve it! Pabba has created a work of art that envisions Mr. Rorie as a dog. renahzor gives you an update on how KiteCo. is doing in EVE Online in light of some insane events in the game. Beyond that we have a smattering of discussion and sharing threads worth checking out as well.
- The Obligatory Spelunkin With Scoops Death Montage (By: @wallofbricks)
- Mailbag Mayhem (A Giant Bomb Fan Video Game) (By: @mutenmiller)
- Old Break Music Remix (By: @futurstock)
- KiteCo After Action Report(AAR): Destroying Usurper POS (By: @renahzor)
- Titanfall Impressions Thread (By: @sjupp)
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Impressions/Discussion Thread (By: @smokeyd123)
- Show Us Your Lightning (By: @donchipotle)
- Divekick AE Discussion/Baz Mourning Thread (By: @starvinggamer)
- Create Your Own Dota Hero (By: @crispy)
- Chat Emoticon Guide (By: @demoskinos)
- Matt Rorie the Puppy (By: @pabba)
Mento has a list of notable indie games with his recommendations for every one as well. Mento has also created a list of games with duo bosses. Mortuss_Zero annotates the games he owns but still has not played as well as the fifty fighting game characters he thinks are the best. Finally benspyda provides a list of his favorite games from 2004 to 2013.
- The (Near) Infinite Indie Information Inquiry Index (By: @mento)
- Prepare For Trouble, Make It Double (By: @mento)
- Mortuss's Hall of Shame (By: @mortuss_zero)
- The 50 Greatest Fighting Game Characters (By: @mortuss_zero)
- Game of the Years (2004-2013) (By: @benspyda)
Useful User Reviews
Hey everyone things are acting up for reviews. There's a bit of a glitch with the site right now. Basically if post your review link without the "/" at the end it'll lead to your review, but if you do it with the "/" it'll link to the review page for that game. Because the site automatically adds the ending "/" to every link you post, there's currently no way to properly link reviews.
- @granderojo's review of Jazzpunk
- @jeanluc's review of Jazzpunk
- @yummylee's review of The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC
- @granderojo's review of Octodad: Dadliest Catch
- @geraltitude's review of Samurai Gunn
- @video_game_king's review of Fire Emblem: Awakening