By ZombiePie 19 Comments
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight. For those that do not already know the beta for the Giant Bomb site re-design is now up. For those of you that are subscribers you can join in now. Please realize that it is a beta and once the beta has ended all of your forum posts, wiki edits, and other user creations will be wiped clean forever. Also recognize that the beta is a beat and the re-design is not finished. With that aside we have reached that time of the year when everyone is talking about their personal "Games of the Year," and as such this edition of the Spotlight is filled to the brim with Game of the Year user created goodies. In case you created a Game of the Year list sign up to participate in the yearly community game of the year voting to help determine the Giant Bomb Community's GOTY.
Community Events & Game Nights
- Giantbomb Community 2012 Game of the Year Voting - Make Your Vote Count By Signing Up Over Here!
- The Official Game/Code/Credit/Key Giveaway Thread! - Get Into the Spirit of Christmas and Give Away Free Codes to Fellow Users Over Here!
- Gerstmas 2013 - Join the Giant Bomb Community Game Giveaway Over Here!
Wonderful WikisThe winter game drought is here! Yes that's right, there are almost no games coming out this week. Double Fine officially released tehir first iOS game, Middle Manager of Justice and Party of Sin has had some nice work done to it. Also give the Wonder Boy franchise page a look in case you have never heard of it before.
Best of BlogsSURPRISE! There were a lot of Game of the Year blogs this week!Check them all out to see if there were any users that felt the same or different about the most notable video games of this year. Now in terms of the notable non-GOTY blogs there were plenty this week. Little_Socrates offered a rebuttal to the growing sentiment that The Walking Dead is not a video game, whereas biospank discussed how despite the fact that he enjoyed Silent Hill: Downpour he wouldn't consider that game a "true" Silent Hill game. Goran_P offers a picture book of his adventures in far Cry 3 whereas IrrelevantJohn shares his continual efforts to learn how to play fighting games using a fight stick for the first time. TrashMustache blogged about coming to the shocking conclusion that he has never beaten a Mario game. Mento completed his blog series about Desura indie games while F1000003 continues his effort to play all of the video games with 0D Beat Drop. Blogging menace Video_Game_King played through Asura's Wrath and Coron Land, and the always steady MajorMitch blogged about Little Inferno and XCOM. MetalGearSunny discusses the numerous games he has played recently ranging from Psychonauts to Persona 4, and SirOptimusPrime talks about Hotline Miami's soundtrack as an amateur musician.
- Giant Bomb Quickie Game Jam (By: Fobwashed)
- ArbitraryWater's Best Games of 2012 That Didn't Come Out in 2012 (By: ArbitraryWater)
- December's Desura Dementia #12: UnEpic [Part #6, Part #7, Part #8, Part #9, Part #10, and Part #11] (By: Mento)
- Two Word Titles. Wait...I Screwed That Up (By: Video_Game_King)
- My End of 2012 Blog (Mostly Gaming Related!) (By: C0V3RT)
- Chaser324's 2012 Game of the Year Awards (By: Chaser324)
- GOTY 2012? All In Good Time (By: DevourerOfTime)
- Two Sides of the Same Coin: My Top (and Bottom) Ten Games of 2012 (By: Mirado)
- What Hotline Miami Does to a "Musician"... (By: SirOptimusPrime)
- Fight Stick Diaries Part 02 (By: IrrelevantJohn)
- Game of the Year 2012 (By: TheNesta )
- The 2012 Sarumarine Awards! (By: Sarumarine)
- jakob187's Totally Pretentious 2012 Game of the Year Top 10 List (By: jakob187)
- 2012 Year in Review Shenanigans (By: MarkWahlberg)
- Blog: I've Been Playing Way Too Many Video Games (By: MetalGearSunny)
- Weekly Roundup 12/09/2012 (By: MajorMitch)
- Playing All the Video Games - Part 000015 (By: F1000003)
- A Startling Discovery: I've Probably Never Beaten A Mario Game (By: TrashMustache)
- Far Cry 3 Log #2 - Now In Picture Book Format! (By: Goran_P)
- Silent Hill Downpour is Good but its Not a Silent Hill Game (By: biospank)
- "This Is Not A Game." (By: Little_Socrates)
Fantastic ForumsThere's still plenty of end of the year stuff to discuss this week. From your favorite Giant Bomb moments to your favorite box art. Don't be afraid to share your thoughts on any of these subjects. However, the fun highlight of the week comes from IcyEyes who has created a highlight reel of Vinny's attempts to fly during the Ravaged Quick Look.
- Quick Look Highlights - The Ravages of Vinny (By: IcyEyes)
- The Worst Deals/Trends of 2012 (By: Mezmero)
- Nominate Your Giant Bomb Moment of the Year (By: Pr1mus)
- Favorite Box Art of 2012 (By: mracoon)
Lovable ListsAs already mentioned we have a bunch of Game of the Year lists this week. If you haven't made your own get some ideas as to which games would appear on your own and sign up for the Community Game of the Year Voting over here. Our two non-GOTY lists come from Mento who looks at the best forest music in video games, and afrofools who has created a list of his favorite console platformers.
- The Timbre of Timber (By Mento)
- Best Platformer Franchises (Consoles) (By: afrofools)
- GOTY 2012 (By: MURDERSMASH)
- GOTY 2012 (By: D_W)
- GOTY 2012 (By: Yodasdarkside)
- TFP's Top 10 of 2012 (By: The FakePsychic)
- GOTY 2012 (By: Animasta)
- GOTY 2012 (By: SMTDante89)
- GOTY 2012 (By: RetroVirus)
- GOTY 2012 (By: aznjon12)
- Best Games of 2012 (By: Phatmac)
- GOTY 2012 (By: Fattony12000)
- GOTY 2012 (By: Scottish_Sin)
- PrintedCrayon's user review of Paper Mario: Sticker Star
- MordeaniisChaos's user review of Call of Duty: Black Ops II
- Urus_Veritas's user review of Guardians of Middle-Earth
- Hizang's user review of Little Inferno
- Wrighteous86's user review of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask