Who else plays Progress Quest?

#1 Edited by Masfo (95 posts) -
#2 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
@Masfo I downloaded the game and it's running, but I don't see the appeal of it
#3 Posted by Chaser324 (6741 posts) -

I have "played" it before, but this is one "game" I can't possibly convince myself to care about.

#4 Posted by bjorno (1433 posts) -

I always forget I have it installed.

#5 Posted by Masfo (95 posts) -

Are you kidding guys? This is like the best RPG ever. Really easy to play, hard to master. Maybe that's your problem :) 

#6 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
@Masfo said:
Are you kidding guys? This is like the best RPG ever. Really easy to play, hard to master. Maybe that's your problem :)
I guess our problem is that we actually like to play our games
#7 Posted by AdventChild (189 posts) -

I'm going to start running it every day.  I'm currently a level 32 Low Elf, Tongueblade delivering a newspaper.

#8 Posted by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -

I just run it single player so I am always #1 in my world.

#9 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

I started a few days ago.  My guy is Fuckface, a level 37 Tickle-Mimic of the Enchanted Motorcycle race.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

...There's a Progress Quest wikipage? O_o

#11 Posted by Ferginator4k (738 posts) -

I just got this and think its fantastic

#12 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -

Alright, can someone please explain to me wtf this is?

#13 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -
@Seedofpower:
GiantBomb.com! It's a website! Just type it in on the site!

Actually, someone needs to beef up that wiki. I've haven't played this either so I wouldn't be an ideal candidate. But it's my understanding that it strips the RPG genre down to its most basic, I.E. you perpetually grind for experience.
#14 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -
@Seedofpower said:
" Alright, can someone please explain to me wtf this is? "
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" But it's my understanding that it strips the RPG genre down to its most basic, I.E. you perpetually grind for experience. "
You basically run it, choose a race/class, hit go, and it plays itself, doing quests and killing things and collecting loot and exp for you. That's it. :D
#15 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

I did for a while (got my character to level 36 I think) but I don't really see the point seeing as how there's absolutely no benefits from attaining a higher level, the numbers simply get bigger they just take longer.  

And before any of you go "Just like a real MMO! Zing!", real MMO's have a heavy social interaction element, have graphics, hundreds of different activities to do, hundreds of places to see, and are much, much much more complex. 

#16 Posted by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -
@Geno:  That's the joke. Some MMO players hate the core gameplay, yet they still play (or worse, they bot) in order to see their numbers go up. Progress Quest "streamlines" the process for such people.
#17 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -
@Symphony said:
" @Seedofpower said:
" Alright, can someone please explain to me wtf this is? "
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" But it's my understanding that it strips the RPG genre down to its most basic, I.E. you perpetually grind for experience. "
You basically run it, choose a race/class, hit go, and it plays itself, doing quests and killing things and collecting loot and exp for you. That's it. :D "
Oo. How is that fun? It seems more of a survey tool than a game.
#18 Posted by Zlimness (569 posts) -

Recently started a new character. I thought I had left Progress Quest behind me. But by some mysterious force, here I am back in it. It's like a disease...

#19 Posted by Mayu_Zane (620 posts) -

I just use it like a screensaver. Also gives me good ideas for characters to draw.

#20 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

Recently had to start a new character after a careless reinstall. Rest in peace Enchanted Motorcycle.

But now my Half Halfling is storming the ranks in Spoltog.

#21 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1741 posts) -

Hell yeah, son. Level 109. (You level up more quickly in the browser version.)

Really makes me realize how easily manipulated I am by bars and numbers.

#22 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

Checked it out. I get it. It's kinda funny.

So do you sit there and watch it or you just minimize it and check it from time to time?

#23 Posted by Mercanis (662 posts) -

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

Checked it out. I get it. It's kinda funny.

So do you sit there and watch it or you just minimize it and check it from time to time?

I made a shortcut to my character's save file and placed it in my computer's Startup folder. Every month or so I realize that it's still running, and I check out my character's fat loot.

#24 Posted by Cozmicaztaway (221 posts) -

Used to play this, because it IS terrific (the intro is SO GOOD), but I always forget I have it and now I haven't touched it in a few years.

#25 Posted by Fuguman (16 posts) -

This really is an amazing game, I've got several high-level chars running. Don't trust anyone who says it's not. Probably the most fun part of the game is joining/running guilds with friends, and scoping the leaderboards. I also like the 3D mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.