Project X Zone is coming to North America, Europe, and more!

#1 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

The 3DS's lineup keeps getting better with this crazy Sega/Namco/Capcom crossover RPG. A release date has not yet been announced but it is coming to Norh America, Europe, and Australia this summer. Here's the press release:

Developed by Banpresto and Monolith Soft, Project X Zone features over 50 characters from 29 historic game franchises by three of Japan's most prolific video game companies. In Project X Zone players will use a team of two characters known as a Pair Unit to explore the world within the game. An additional character known as a Solo Unit can be combined with the Pair Unit to assist in battles with Solo Attacks as well as augment the attacks available for players to execute. Throughout the game, epic battles are waiting to erupt at a moment's notice. Players will have to master an array of screen-busting moves including Solo Attacks, Support Attacks, Cross Hits, and Finishing Moves in order to defeat a multitude of foes.

"Project X Zone is the first title to ever combine such a large cast of characters from a varied list of game franchises into one grand adventure," said Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. "Developing a cohesive game and storyline to encompass all of these great characters and their battle-styles was a huge challenge that has paid off greatly with the creation of a truly unique and groundbreaking gaming experience."

Project X Zone takes place in a world surrounded by a hidden chaos with shadows and evil lurking beneath the peaceful cover of everyday life. When a rift in time and space suddenly appears, a doorway to various universes is opened allowing both heroes and villains from different worlds to cross paths. Players will be able to take control of a huge selection of paired heroes including favorites such as Jin and Xiaoyu (TEKKEN), Toma and Cyrille (Shining Force™ EXA), to X and Zero (Mega Man® X) and discover the cause of the rift and stop evil from coming through and spreading into their world.

#2 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Fuck. Yes.

#3 Edited by jking47 (1215 posts) -

Think this is the mysterious "Project X" 8-4 has been talking about/working on or is that too obvious?

#4 Posted by oldenglishC (973 posts) -

HO-LEE-SHIT!

I thought there was a better chance of me putting babies in a super model than ever getting a chance to play this game. The ridiculously fun juggle - combo combat from Super Robot Taisen OG saga: Even More Words to Type, plus all those licensed characters, equals a day one purchase.

#5 Edited by DeF (4922 posts) -

Fantastic news.

@jking47 said:

Think this is the mysterious "Project X" 8-4 has been talking about/working on or is that too obvious?

They specifically said that Project X is NOT Project X Zone. Though it may very well be one of their other codenamed projects. Who knows. I guess they'll tell us in the next podcast.

#6 Posted by mwng (944 posts) -

Great! Now fingers crossed they localize all the games featured in it too...

#7 Posted by Solh0und (1797 posts) -

I might consider owning a 3DS for this.

Keyword: Might

#8 Posted by DeF (4922 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Fuck. Yes.

Let's have a Surprise Localization Appreciation Month. :)

#9 Posted by kishinfoulux (2394 posts) -

I'll be honest. Never thought this would make it over. 3DS is shaping up to have a killer year.

How does it play though? Definitely a SRPG of some sort, but no idea how combat works from the videos I've watched.

#10 Edited by Chaser324 (6649 posts) -

Wow! Considering the fact that Namco X Capcom never made it's way over to the US, I thought this had no chance, but I'm trilled to have another title to add to my 3DS library.

#11 Edited by Snail (8615 posts) -

I have never heard of this, but the concept of a "crazy Sega/Namco/Capcom crossover RPG" sounds awesome!

EDIT: I checked the wiki and yes, it's bananas. Seriously looks cool. Looking forward to the release.

#12 Posted by MX (242 posts) -

I thought that movie was being made in to a game

#13 Edited by drac96 (673 posts) -

I thought this game had a solid 0% chance of coming to the U.S. especially since some of the games haven't been published in the U.S.

Thankfully I was wrong. I can't wait for this! Perhaps they'll translate the ridiculous 16 minute trailer as well.

#14 Posted by EarthBowl (164 posts) -

This is Fantastic news to hear. The 3DS platform is finally getting it's banner year, and I am excited to be playing more games on mine.

#15 Posted by StarvingGamer (8371 posts) -

Wow

Great

#16 Posted by Nightfang (380 posts) -

Cool.

#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19371 posts) -

Yet another reason for me to get a 3DS soon.

#18 Posted by Coafi (1490 posts) -
#19 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ

Yet another reason for me to get a 3DS soon.

Stil waiting for Ace Attorney 5? ;)
#20 Posted by DarthOrange (3866 posts) -

I may get an XL for this. I'm still bummed out that Charizard 3DS didn't come to the US.

#21 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2488 posts) -

This is not the normal boring news I am usually greeted with when I return home. This, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon make me somewhat glad I got a 3DS.

#22 Posted by RioStarwind (562 posts) -

Wow I never expected this to make it over here. Glad to see another title to add to a pretty solid list of games that i'll pick up on the 3DS this year.

#23 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I can't tell what the hell is going on in the battle images on the wiki.

But, uh, I like cross over games more than I should so this interests me.

#24 Posted by Pepsiman (2485 posts) -

I look forward to being the only person in the States who already knows the backstory of the Valkyria Chronicles 3 brigade!

#25 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19371 posts) -

@SuperWristBands said:

I can't tell what the hell is going on in the battle images on the wiki.

Stuff... Sorry, just felt really compelled to post those.

#26 Posted by TooWalrus (13235 posts) -

...I'm down.

Uh oh. My 3DS has been sitting in my car for like, a month. I hope it hasn't been damaged by the subzero temperatures.

#27 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Wh--Why does Kos-Mos have a knife that cuts her top? Does that... serve any other purpose? Surely they noticed this flaw when they designed it...

Oh man.

#28 Edited by mwng (944 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: More like Project XXX Zone! Amirite?!

@Pepsiman said:

I look forward to being the only person in the States who already knows the backstory of the Valkyria Chronicles 3 brigade!

Also, SSSSSEEEEEEGGGGGAAAAAAA!!!
#29 Posted by DeF (4922 posts) -
#30 Posted by Atwa (622 posts) -

BEST NEWS! 
Now if only Bravery Default can come as well. 

#31 Edited by TepidShark (1061 posts) -

So with this now confirmed for the West, if I am to understand correctly these are the games we are still awaiting localization announcements:

New Games

Remasters/Remakes

Am I missing anything else major?

#32 Posted by DeF (4922 posts) -

@TepidShark said:

Reissues

Am I missing anything else major?

Just wanna point out, your use of the word reissue is wrong here. A reissue is something that went out of print and is being produced again. Like when Epic/Sony put out a fresh run of Michael Jackson's Thriller on CD again, maybe with a new cover. Or as a recent video game example, the reissue with different cover art of 999. DQ7 3DS is a full on remake, the whole game is being made again in 3D. Not sure what the Kingdom Hearts game is though.

#33 Posted by Chaser324 (6649 posts) -

@TepidShark said:

Yeah, VC3 is guaranteed to never see a Western release (there is however a fan translation project in the works). The series never sold all that well outside of Japan, and the world has mostly moved on from the original PSP.

Type-0 and Ace Attorney Investigations 2 will also probably never see English releases on their original platforms, but these two at least have the possibility to pop up in the form of some sort of updated version later on. I could definitely see Sony pitching in a little money to fund a PS Vita version of Type-0, and the Ace Attorney series has a long history of late Western releases on later pieces of hardware.

#34 Posted by TepidShark (1061 posts) -

@DeF: Changed it to Remasters/Remakes.

#35 Posted by DeF (4922 posts) -

@TepidShark: cool, sorry for being so anal about this :D

#36 Posted by TepidShark (1061 posts) -

@DeF: Nah it's cool. I probably would be the same way.

#37 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19371 posts) -

@TepidShark: I made a thread on this with games that you might have missed in your list.

#38 Posted by TepidShark (1061 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Thanks I didn't know about it. Cool thread.

#39 Posted by MasterChiefSnake (18 posts) -

I will get Project X Zone after I get 3DS in Summer 2013. Thanks god for Katsuhiro Harada. After I passed Project X Zone, I will make Top 20 Favorite Tag Team Characters in Project X Zone and Top 20 Favorite Support Characters in Project X Zone. Then next is Top 10 Tag Team Characters should be in Project X Zone and Top 10 Support Characters should be in Project X Zone.

#40 Posted by Nezza (373 posts) -

I'm seeing this now has a 5th July release date in the UK and is fairly cheap for a new 3DS release at £25. I hadn't heard anything about this before, but from a couple of videos I've watched I'm getting a bit of a Disgaea vibe from it.

Seeing as I loved Disgaea 3 on the Vita, would this be a title I'd be likely to enjoy or am I completely off the mark with that?

#41 Posted by Ketch (32 posts) -

Just played the demo. Lots of chaos once you launch your attacks and summon your partner. Seems like a pretty sweet game though (and probably worth a fortune in a few years).

#42 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

How did I not post in this thread when it first came up?

#43 Posted by NegativeCero (3012 posts) -

For anyone who has a 3DS: how good is the eShop about releasing games there? I ask because I don't have a 3DS and want to wait until a good sale (maybe Black Friday), and I totally expect this game to be a low print physical release.

#44 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

For anyone who has a 3DS: how good is the eShop about releasing games there? I ask because I don't have a 3DS and want to wait until a good sale (maybe Black Friday), and I totally expect this game to be a low print physical release.

They've been pretty good. Assuming that Namco Bandai offers a digital version of the game, it should be available day one, just like titles like Fire Emblem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.