Project X Zone is out this week. Are you getting it?

Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Project X Zone is out this week. Are you getting it? (106 votes)

Yah, you bet'cha! 46%
Nope. 30%
Project Ecks Zone? What is video game? 24%

So Project X Zone, that crazy crossover strategy RPG that has Capcom, Namco, and Sega characters all teaming up and beating each other is finally coming out in North America this week. So who all is taking the plunge? My Amazon order has already shipped and should be arriving in the next couple of days, at which point it will need to fight it out with Animal Crossing: New Leaf for my 3DS time.

#1 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -

Not after playing the demo I won't. Gameplay, at first, seemed boring and I could tolerate it if the fanservice was worth it for me, but I don't know most of the cast.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14871 posts) -

If I had a 3DS I guess? Seeing as I don't have a 3DS that would be a big negative.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

I don't know most of the cast.

I just use it as a reason to learn more about the cast that is present.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14871 posts) -

Speaking of weird mash ups. I did play Cross Edge which was kind of weird and had Capcom Characters in it.

#5 Edited by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

Speaking of weird mash ups. I did play Cross Edge which was kind of weird and had Capcom Characters in it.

I've got that game. It's really interesting. Wish it played a bit better, but I really want to go back and finish it at some point despite the flaws it has.

I'm disappointed that Namco X Capcom was never released in the States, though.

#6 Posted by Mento (2558 posts) -

Eventually, but it won't be released here for another week or so. I'll probably end up reviewing it too. Honestly, it might not be fantastic, but I'll be darned if I'm going to miss out on another one of these crossover RPGs after the sadly untranslated Namco X Capcom.

#7 Posted by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -

I'm curious, but torn. I need to hear more real experiences of playing it before I'm sold.

#8 Posted by Daneian (1242 posts) -

I'm always interested in new Capcom mashups. Marvel vs Capcom and Card Fighters Clash are pretty awesome. Hope its good.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (14871 posts) -

@hailinel: Yeah its an okay game. I've also got Trinity Universe which is another weird cross-over game. Haven't even bothered to pop it in my PS3.

#10 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I'm curious, but torn. I need to hear more real experiences of playing it before I'm sold.

I posted this on another GB thread, don't know if it will help. You should take a look through the Neogaf thread.

The consensus seems to be that it is a shallow sRPG made entirely for fanservice. If you're interested, though, Neogaf user perorist posted a good impromptu review:

The battle system is very similar to the endless frontier games and pxz's predecessor, namco x capcom with the simple real-time inputs and goal of breaking and juggling the opponent to maximize damage. If you've played either of those you'll know that the battle system is actually very fun.

The problem with this game is that the entire game relies on that battle system alone to carry it, and it only works for the first dozen or two dozen hours. Despite being a strategy rpg, it contains almost no meaningful srpg mechanics along the lines of weakness triangles, jobs, terrain mechanics, etc. Basically nothing that adds "strategy". It has map attacks, seishin-style abilities ala SRW, a few status elements and that's it. The maps could all be literal flat chessboards and the game wouldn't change.

The other problem is that in a 50-60 hour game, about 30 hours in you'll hit a "growth cap". You'll still level up and increase stats a little bit each time, but those stats are mostly meaningless in the first place. What I mean by growth cap is that you'll have unlocked every unit and move for each unit, so the feeling of character growth is gone. Moreover, by this point, because of the lack of game mechanics, each unit will essentially be indistinguishable from others. There's nothing unique between one unit and another other than their attack animations by endgame.

This is comparable, for example, to playing fire emblem or FFT and halfway through the game, all your units are suddenly one same job class, equipment and skills becomes meaningless, and your only attack option is the regular physical "attack" option, but you still have half the game left to play. For the latter part of the game you'll be doing the exact same thing with every unit - moving them up to the enemy and attacking with the same combo you've been using for the last 30 hours, no variation. It's made even worse by the terrible level design in later stages where maps can take an hour or two because they just throw hordes of high-hp enemies at you.

The story is also pretty bad and you'll get tired of the antagonists' dialogue/motivations fast, but a deep story isn't something you should expect from this type of game in the first place I suppose. Like I said, the game is pretty fun for the first couple dozen hours and the cross-series character convos are great. The sprite animation in this game is some of the best out there as well, as you would expect from banpresto. There are things to like here (like megaman X's last real appearance in a game LOL) and an incredible soundtrack, but just don't expect much from the gameplay side when all is said and done.

#11 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

I've got that game. It's really interesting. Wish it played a bit better, but I really want to go back and finish it at some point despite the flaws it has.

As a pre-Neptunia Compile Heart game, is Cross Edge fucking terrible? I almost buy it every few months but I tend to think better of it because the word-of-mouth is toxic, the reviews were mostly really harsh and because I still haven't finished the first HyperNep game because it's bad.

Does Cross Edge take hours and hours to introduce all of the systems and then hours and hours of grinding to get the full roster of characters? And is the gameplay just bad besides all that?

#12 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

As a pre-Neptunia Compile Heart game, is Cross Edge fucking terrible? I almost buy it every few months but I tend to think better of it because the word-of-mouth is toxic, the reviews were mostly really harsh and because I still haven't finished the first HyperNep game because it's bad.

Does Cross Edge take hours and hours to introduce all of the systems and then hours and hours of grinding to get the full roster of characters? And is the gameplay just bad besides all that?

Having not played the Neptunia games, I can't really say how good Cross Edge is in comparison. It's also been several years since I've played it, so I can't really remember how grindy it was, though it does have multiple difficulty levels that affect that. I do recall that characters did join at a fairly even clip, all things considered, but I wasn't going to judge that part too much since they gave Morrigan to you right off the bat. :P

Though, regardless of how long it's been since I played, I do think it's safe to say that if the systems in Neptunia drove you mad, you probably won't like Cross Edge.

#13 Edited by ESREVER (2693 posts) -

I will support anything with Kite and Blackrose. This game is the reason why I got a 3ds to begin with. SO HYPED.

#14 Edited by Killroycantkill (1408 posts) -

I want to, but I'm just so bad at anything grid-based that isn't Disgaea.

#15 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I pre-ordered it after playing the demo. I wasn't too into it before (just generally ignoring it) but the fan service grabbed me. I'm pretty excited about some of the characters in that game, especially the Xenosaga ones.

@rebgav:Cross Edge is pretty bad. I don't remember having to grind because I played it years ago. I do remember the game play being not good at all.

@demoskinos said:

@hailinel: Yeah its an okay game. I've also got Trinity Universe which is another weird cross-over game. Haven't even bothered to pop it in my PS3.

Trinity Universe is considerably better than Cross Edge but it's still not all that hot. It's got my biggest pet peeve of RPGs which is that it has two protagonists who, of course, have the same gameplay and their own perspective on the story but you are required to go through both to get the True Ending.

#16 Posted by MorkaiTheWolf (185 posts) -

I wanted to but the last couple times I've checked Amazon it says it's unavailable. T_T

#17 Edited by Demoskinos (14871 posts) -

@superwristbands: *shrug* I dunno I enjoyed what I played of it. The battle system they had of linking characters moves in chains to get bigger moves was sort of interesting.

#18 Posted by KrypticKiller (191 posts) -

The title sounds like some sort of Xbox emulation project.

#19 Posted by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -

@captaintightpants: Yeah, I read those impressions earlier. I mean experiences from people I know(like around here). I don't really trust reviews from people I'm not familiar with.

#20 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5833 posts) -

Not sure. I'll wait on some reviews before I make up my mind.

#21 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2414 posts) -

Not right away. Kinda bummed I'll probably miss out on the limited edition but whatevs. Probably going to buy it on the eShop anyway.

Also I heard the game was like 40 hours long, which really surprised me.

#22 Edited by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I haven't heard good things from reviewers/people who imported the game, but I enjoyed the demo so I'm probably going to get it.

#23 Edited by McBonJon (159 posts) -

I've been anticipating this release for a while now. I did enjoy the demo, but wish it was a little longer. When I heard this was coming, this pushed me to buy a 3DS System.

#24 Posted by JoeyRavn (4977 posts) -

Not after playing the demo I won't. Gameplay, at first, seemed boring and I could tolerate it if the fanservice was worth it for me, but I don't know most of the cast.

Same here. I was extremely underwhelmed by the combat system. Maybe I had misplaced my expectations, but before playing the demo I thought that the gameplay would be a mix of Final Fantasy Tactics/Fire Emble-styled Turn-Based Combat with the real-time 2D battles of the Tales of... series. Needless to say, it's more like a "chain these few buttons combinations a couple of times trying to maximize your damage", something I really don't like.

And, yeah, there's also the fact that I know very few characters of the cast. Sure, I could learn about them, but that would be the same as forcing me to care for some characters I've never heard of just to try and enjoy the game. I'll pass.

#25 Posted by Spitznock (540 posts) -

I most likely would if I owned the system, but I do not.
Cross-overs are always fun, and I'm always happy to see them, so even if mechanically or by terms of narrative the game ends up being lackluster, it isn't a huge deal, as I suppose that isn't necessarily the goal.

#26 Posted by JackSukeru (5915 posts) -

Nay. I played the demo and while it was fun to see Kite and Black Rose the gameplay was unengaging.

#27 Edited by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

Nope, gonna get Muramasa Rebirth instead.

#28 Posted by Damodar (1402 posts) -

It could be one of the games that gets me to buy a 3DS.

#29 Edited by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Absolutely, mine's pre-ordered. This is the sort of title I'd be longing for had it been a Japan-only release, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

#30 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Looks too weird for me. I don't know any of the Namco or Sega characters really and the Capcom ones I can get everywhere else.

#31 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Eventually.

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@mento said:

the sadly untranslated Namco X Capcom.

I think it actually has a fan translation, so there's always that.

#33 Posted by kishinfoulux (2347 posts) -

You guys expecting a Quick Look for this? It's not slated for the week, as of now. I imagine Jeff or Brad will take a look at it eventually out of curiosity.

#34 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Is this that fucking weird thing I saw with .hack// characters in it.

#35 Posted by JJOR64 (19001 posts) -

No. While the concept if awesome, not a big Strategy guy.

#36 Posted by BisonHero (6564 posts) -

Having looked at the cast, it turns out I really don't have that much of an attachment to Capcom, Sega, and Namco Bandai characters, so I'm not very interested in getting it. I guess I like the inclusion of X and Zero from Mega Man X, but that's about it.

But I know you kids are into Street Fighter and Tales of Vesperia and the rap music and baggy pants, so go have your fun playing it.

#37 Posted by TheHT (11362 posts) -

Nah.

#38 Edited by Flappy (2272 posts) -

I canceled my preorder on the 23rd. I was a big fan of SRT: Endless Frontier, but there was much more meat and potatoes in that game. PXZ, on the other hand, is 60 hours of fan-service that I'm not willing to shell out $40~ for. Besides, I'll have SMT IV to sink my teeth into in a couple of weeks.

#39 Edited by demonknightinuyasha (467 posts) -

I will pick this up when I get a 3DS, which will be when LTTP 2 comes out.

#40 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (1074 posts) -

I already have this game and I think it is pretty fun. One thing I will say is that I have no clue what's going on with the story...

#41 Posted by oldenglishC (959 posts) -

SLIGHTLY OLD THREAD BUMP!

I played through all the prologue chapters last night, and it seemed pretty great. It all depends whether you enjoyed the combat from SRT: Endless Frontier, since it's the same thing with a couple added systems to make it slightly deeper. The story so far is the kind of nonsense that you'd expect, but it's a fun nonsense that's not afraid to have the guy from Die Hard: Arcade show up to help you fight zombies.

#42 Posted by kishinfoulux (2347 posts) -

I'll add I'm also having a blast. On Chapter 4 or something and there's just so much fan service and references I'm constantly grinning or chuckling. Battle system is super fun and it's awesome seeing all these characters interact. I can definitely see how it gets old well into the game, but for now I'm really liking it.

#43 Posted by MithrilMojo (113 posts) -

I checked out the demo and even though I don't recognize most of the characters, I really enjoyed my time with it. It seems absolutely crazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.