If you liked Journey or Dear Esther, play PROTEUS immediately

#1 Posted by AssInAss (2541 posts) -


Wow, that was quite the adventure! Figuring it out and seeing for yourself in an hour, in one sitting, is the best way. All you should know is there is an ending and you'll figure out how to progress forward with no need for a tutorial. I didn't expect an ending. But what an exquisite and jaw-dropping one it was.

It was kind of cool how you didn't have to follow the main path through the vortex cycles. Just chilling, looking at the shooting stars, taking loads of screenshots. Kind of non-linear unlike Journey which clearly wanted you to move on.

You can press Q for auto-walk, truly an evolution from Dear Esther :P

It's a great season simulator, the audio design is fantastic. Hearing the windy breeze on top of a snowed mountain, creatures chirping tunes, and then it giving out in serene moments.

Can't wait to sit down my friends and family to play this by themselves.

Did anyone encounter this tree hanging creature? Don't think it's a squirrel.
#2 Posted by face15 (1274 posts) -

Neh.

#3 Posted by cloudnineboya (763 posts) -

i already do this in skyrim, was, is a cool concept looks charming l liked Dear Esther a lot, not got the monies at the mo mabee later give it go for curiosity sake.

#4 Posted by AssInAss (2541 posts) -

@cloudnineboya said:

i already do this in skyrim, was, is a cool concept looks charming l liked Dear Esther a lot, not got the monies at the mo mabee later give it go for curiosity sake.

Skyrim only has one season in it, the way this cycles through all of them in just under an hour with a day-and-night cycle is quite enchanting.

I hear that the game might have future updates with more islands, and an infinite mode.

#5 Posted by cloudnineboya (763 posts) -

@AssInAss: yea i was just meaning i spend more time just wondering around the world like this game.

what does infinite mode imply.

cheers

#6 Posted by SlashDance (1803 posts) -

What if I love Journey and hate Dear Esther ?

I guess the static environements and bullshit story are what turned me off about Dear Esther so if Proteus is more dynamic I guess I should enjoy it.

#7 Posted by SharkEthic (1004 posts) -

@SlashDance: What was so bullshit about Dear Esthers story?

#8 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

So what's the difference between this and just going outside?

#9 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

What if I love Journey and hate Dear Esther ?

I guess the static environements and bullshit story are what turned me off about Dear Esther so if Proteus is more dynamic I guess I should enjoy it.

Exact same feelings on both games. Journey was just so fantastic and Dear Esther.... just nothing grabbed me or anything.

#10 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

Alright then.

#11 Posted by eccentrix (1499 posts) -

@Ketchupp said:

So what's the difference between this and just going outside?

Once you're done, you don't have to walk back.

#12 Posted by SlashDance (1803 posts) -

@SharkEthic said:

@SlashDance: What was so bullshit about Dear Esthers story?

Bullshit is maybe not the best word, I actually don't remember anything about the story other than the ending being a huge letdown and... car accident or something ?

Personal tastes I guess, it did nothing for me.

#13 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

@SharkEthic said:

@SlashDance: What was so bullshit about Dear Esthers story?

Bullshit is maybe not the best word, I actually don't remember anything about the story other than the ending being a huge letdown and... car accident or something ?

Personal tastes I guess, it did nothing for me.

The ending was pretty bold, but made complete sense with where that narrative was going. I think you might be mis-remembering your opinion on that game.

#14 Edited by SlashDance (1803 posts) -

@project343 said:

@SlashDance said:

@SharkEthic said:

@SlashDance: What was so bullshit about Dear Esthers story?

Bullshit is maybe not the best word, I actually don't remember anything about the story other than the ending being a huge letdown and... car accident or something ?

Personal tastes I guess, it did nothing for me.

The ending was pretty bold, but made complete sense with where that narrative was going. I think you might be mis-remembering your opinion on that game.

The very fact that I didn't like it was the huge letdown, not that it made no sense. I found the whole thing to be too esoteric to be enjoyable.

#15 Posted by YI_Orange (1128 posts) -

Ok, I am never going to play this game, but since you mention that there is a progression and ending, I'm curious. Anyone willing to tell me? Even if you don't I still won't play the game, so don't think you're robbing me or anything.

Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.