Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prototype 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 24, 2012

The sequel to Radical Entertainment's 2009 ultra-violent sandbox game, Prototype 2 returns to an urban landscape ravaged by an all-consuming virus.

I just beat Prototype 2 (No Spoilers)

TLKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TLKnight

Is it bad that the first thing that I did was put in Infamous 2?

This game totally turned out to be a sack of turds. I felt like I was just doing the same boring mission over and over again. Some of the powers were fun, but in the end I just used the tentacles and the blades the whole way through.

Unless the RadNet stuff ends up being cool, I'll probably just trade it in.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By murisan

Really? Man, I think Prototype and Infamous are somewhat polarizing because I loved Prototype 1 and was okay with Infamous 1, and the trend continued with the sequels. Infamous 2 did some cool stuff to expand your powers and the graphics were much improved, but Prototype 2 is just much more my style of play I guess. RadNet stuff is all visible, just go to it in the game.

EDIT: I mean you can see all the RadNet events/awards, just not what they entail.. only when they'll be available.

raycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By raycarter

Well, I wouldn't go far as to call the game "A sack of turds" but I see where you are going with this. There are just things that other older open world games have done better. Story and characters are not interesting at all.

To the game's credit, the parkouring around the city is freakin awesome. Willing to say that it's better than Infamous 1 and 2. Graphics are on the better side and the killing blows are brutal in a good way.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Fearbeard

I knew someone couldn't resist bringing up Infamous even though the games are vastly different, and this time not even close to being released in the same time frame.

Anyways, while I do think the Infamous games are better games technically, I've had vastly more fun with the Prototype games.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Sambambo

Why did you finish the game if you hated it so much :S

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TentPole

I thought it was significantly worse than the first game.

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bighat_logan

I thought prototype 1 was not bad, but infamous 1 and 2 are of a whole higher class than prototype.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By ShadowConqueror

The first was mediocrity at its finest, I wasn't expecting this one to be any better.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TentPole

@bighat_logan said:

I thought prototype 1 was not bad, but infamous 1 and 2 are of a whole higher class than prototype.

In all fairness they are pretty different with Infamous being much more of a shooter.

But yeah, you are absolutely right.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EXTomar

In my mind, Red Faction Guerrilla, Infamous and Prototype are three games tied together due to their close release dates and systems (open world, sandbox, action-combat). I thought Infamous was the better 'well rounded game' but RFG got the "explosive combat" right and generally more creative sandbox fun. Prototype got bogged down with being "too awesome" turned out to be the weakest of the set. The game was eager to point out "You can get claws or transform your arms into blades!" when it turns out there isn't a big difference. It is kind of shocking that combat actually gets boring in Prototype because it was just a cacophony nonsensical destruction but also it it was a little to easy to retreat when things went wrong.

The thing that seemed interesting about Prototype compared to RFG and Infamous was the stealth and "web of deception" thing where you were discovering links by disguising and consuming key people. That is a great mechanism to convey and uncover plot but even then Prototype didn't do it quite right focusing on "lets see how much stuff you can wreck!" or "lets see how far you can fly!" instead of that key thing.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By napalm

For those playing it currently, is it worth the sixty dollar price tag? I hate resorting to this measure, but I've already been burned by dropping sixty dollars on B-tier games.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By laserbolts

@Napalm said:

For those playing it currently, is it worth the sixty dollar price tag? I hate resorting to this measure, but I've already been burned by dropping sixty dollars on B-tier games.

Nope wait for a price drop. My opinion anyways.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm

@laserbolts said:

@Napalm said:

Nope wait for a price drop. My opinion anyways.

Hm. Good call. I fucking love over-the-top open world games, but I don't know... sixty dollars just seems too much.

TLKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TLKnight

@Napalm: It is, just wait it out lol

TLKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TLKnight

@SuperSambo: I had a stomach virus and nothing better to do lol

Eh, I traded it in and picked up Darksiders lol

raycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16  Edited By raycarter

@RayCarter: For the record, I mean the parkour sections, not the entire package. As a whole, either Infamous 1 or 2 will kick Prototype 2 to the curb.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Akyho

@TLKnight said:

This game totally turned out to be a sack of turds. I felt like I was just doing the same boring mission over and over again. Some of the powers were fun, but in the end I just used the tentacles and the blades the whole way through.

Then you wont like Too Human, never pick it up..........oh wait...you did......GOOD LUCK!

This explains the prototype 2 trade in story.

TLKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TLKnight

@Akyho said:

@TLKnight said:

Then you wont like Too Human, never pick it up..........oh wait...you did......GOOD LUCK!

This explains the prototype 2 trade in story.

Eh Darksiders has been fun lol

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By MrSlapHappy

It It sounds like the main character is about as unlikeable as possible...not that Mercer was all that great, but at least he didn't shout ignorant dribble constantly, that I can remember at least. I liked Prototype 1 for the freedom of movement and just the carnage you could inflict, also I paid 10 bucks for it on Steam. I made it far enough into the game to unlock the armor and hijack helicopters. I enjoyed that much at least, I might go back and finish it at some point.

I downloaded the demo to Infamous when I got my PS3 about a year ago and was terribly underwhelmed, it just didn't click with me. Is the demo not representative of the rest of the game or am I just wrong and I should try again?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Morrow

@TLKnight:

I'm thinking about getting this, so as an odd request, please spoil the ending for me. Do you really kill Alex Mercer? Because I don't want to ._.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Klei

Prototype 2 is exactly what it's meant to be : mindless fun. It's not super polished, not super well animated, basic missions, basic everything. Is it bad? No. Heller, the new character, fits the role perfectly well, and for those who like to mass destruct shit, the game fills the bill. Just like with Prototype 1. Are these games in the same class as Infamous? No. Infamous is a lot more story-driven, polished and plays like a dream. Only problem, with Infamous2, are the bad side-missions and the overall ordinary main missions. With Prototype 2, I don't really know what you guys expected. Since it was announced it was shown as what it turned out to be : a safe sequel, with more of the same.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.