Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prototype

Franchise »

Open world games that focus on giving the players an innumerable amount of options to viciously murder and wreak havoc across New York City. Unfortunately, after the unsatisfactory sales figures of Prototype 2, the franchise was officially canned by Activision.

Prototype 3

Avatar image for thescreaminggamer
    TheScreamingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For Prototype 3, should Pariah be set as the main character?

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Should? Sure. Will? No. Activision canned the franchise years ago.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mcfart
    @adam1808 said:

Should? Sure. Will? No. Activision canned the franchise years ago.

This. They shut them down after Prototype 2's release

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hatking

Is it weird that I had more fun with the Prototype games than I ever had with the InFamous (haven't played Second Son) games? It seems to be a case of knowing what it is and embracing it. These games are dumb, and mostly about power fantasizes. They take the fantasy to a literal extreme. The difference being that Prototype takes it to the natural conclusion of the protagonist being a total fucking prick. InFamous flounders around with its morality that ultimately ends up making two different, bad stories rather than one semi-goofy one. I don't think Prototype is a mind blowing game, but if I'm going to be playing a game where I'm mostly just being given super powers, I'd rather play the one that takes it to an extreme. Also, the traversal is way better in Prototype.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@hatking: No, it's not weird. I feel the same. I never liked the game play in inFamous (at all) and enjoyed Prototype.

Prototype is published by Activision, though, so that means if it doesn't sell 10 million units it's goodbye. At least they had a crack at two of them before it was shut down I guess.

@thescreaminggamer: There won't be another sequel random person on the internet. So, enjoy that there was even two of them.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hatking

@cornbredx: I'm actually okay with that. If we consider the options are seeing the series go out while it's still respectable or see it marketed into a disposable product, I'm happy with what we got. I'd rather not see Activision turn any other franchises I care about into toilet paper.

Aside from that, there's a huge disrespect, in this industry, for the games and creators who can tell a story in a single release. Everything has to be a trilogy or anthology. It's a fucking bummer. Contained stories are often the best stories.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By nightriff

Johnny V is also on team prototype so we know we are on the right side. I like both games but I enjoyed the gameplay of prototype more than infamous, its also depressing to hear that apparently infamous hasn't changed much since the first game.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust

I loved the first Prototype, but to me the developer ruined the sequel with it's setting and story. The first game set up a great premise to the second game, with Zeus (Mercer) (the embodiment of the virus and the remnants of Mercer's personality), and Pariah (the perfect mesh of the human dna and the virus) but somehow the plot of the second game destroyed that great setting choosing a stereotyped black soldier guy as the main character, killing Mercer and having as background the same city as before, just organized differently. It felt half hassed. With that I lost interest in the story, and in the franchise.

That said there were news years ago that reported that the franchise was being dropped by Activision, and the developer Radical Entertainment would encounter layoffs and the studio would be reduced to a supporting role towards other Activision projects. So there won't probably be a Prototype 3.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Just wanted to sign my name on the Prototype club card, over Infamous.

The 1st Prototype game anyway. Too bad P2 kinda buried it as well as being a weaker game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Count me in on team Prototype, I had way more fun with those games than with the InFamous ones. Too bad there probably will never be a Prototype 3, I could go for its kind of dumb on the new gen consoles.

lockonandfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking you talk about the moral floundering in inFamous, but at least picking a moral path there encourages gameplay that isn't diametrically opposed to the story. In Prototype 2, Heller is a wronged man doing his best to protect his daughter in the cutscenes, then as soon as you get control of him you eat people for health.

I was quite saddened when Activision gutted Radical though. A full on "bad and loving it" character with new gen graphics working their wonders on the gore could be a real eye catcher.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recall having a decent time with the first one, but inFamous was still more enjoyable with it's story and that mattered more to me. Never touched the sequel, but at least it provided us a fun Quick Look.

Loading Video...

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

There will be no Prototype 3.

Besides, i don't want there to be a new one, the second one destroyed everything that had been so good about the story.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lockonandfire: Being a dick and having well meaning goals aren't mutually exclusive. He wanted to save his family and gave no shits about anybody else, they don't really stray from that. Whenever he's the hero it's by circumstance. He just happened to help the right people while on his way to getting his family. It's not profound, and it's been done hundreds of times in this medium, but it doesn't really compromise what it's ultimately doing in attempt to appeal to a larger crowd.

I think the moral choices in InFamous are there more so they can say they're there rather than any significance to the overall product. The story unfolds, largely, in the exact same way, Cole is either just a unbearable prick in the cutscenes, or excruciatingly boring. I've said it before, but it reminds me a lot of Spider-Man 3. We have this hero and we need to make him bad, but he still has to want to fight the villain, so we can't make him too bad. Let's make his clothes black and him be a dick to his friends. It makes even less sense in InFamous because evil Cole has no qualms murdering street performers, but the giant monster who is murdering street performers, well, that's unacceptable.

And, I'll reiterate that I'm not playing either of these games for their profound narrative. Both of them kind of rehash tales I've heard a thousand times before. It would nice if one would step away from the obvious, but I'm willing to accept their rote arc as long as it remains mostly coherent. It ultimately comes down to which is more fun to play, and Prototype leans into the absurdity a bit more. If I'm playing a game that flirts with the power fantasy, I don't want to feel restrained. I want to fucking fly.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

So, this is basically ''Fuck Infamous'' the thread then? Eh, I haven't played the second Prototype, but I think the first two inFamous games are vastly superior just in the quality of craft alone. There's more personality going on as well, whereas Prototype just seems sorta generic. Plus, for all this talk about Prototype being a better power-fantasy... well, sure, but they're very different games. While inFamous is all about super-powers, it's still primarily a shooter at its core, with some added manoeuvrability thrown in. Just playing inFamous feels right to me. The controls are super-tight and I always enjoyed clambering around for blast shards. Prototoype could sometimes feel a little loose, and while there's more powers, I seem to recall that a lot of them aren't especially useful, whereas in inFamous every power had a purpose. I thought the story was at least serviceable in both inFamous', too while I can barely remember a single thing about Prototype's.

Prototype certainly has its pluses too, like the sheer chaos you can inflict. But ironically enough given its more power-fantasy focussed direction, Prototype gets to be real fucking difficult as it goes on. I can remember so much of being forced to be constantly on the move, trying to avoid tanks, giant mutants, and so on -- systematically going on the offensive for like a minute before I'm once again forced to run away and feed to heal. The end boss in particular was all kinds of annoying at that. Though even with that said, I've always been curious to maybe go back to it. Only played it the one time before I shelved it -- actually it wasn't mine but my little brothers even. Still, it didn't leave much of a lasting impression, whereas the first inFamous is still one of my favourite games of the previous generation.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@hatking: The reason why Cole is opposing the Beast even if he's evil is because the Beast threatens everything. Evil Cole is obviously no hero, but he's still technically the lesser of two evils--until he then adopts the Beast's power for his own to continue the Beast's intentions in inFamous 2--and is fighting for his own survival -- anyone that he still manages to save along the way is incidental.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By theacidskull

@yummylee said:

So, this is basically ''Fuck Infamous'' the thread then? Eh, I haven't played the second Prototype, but I think the first two inFamous games are vastly superior just in the quality of craft alone. There's more personality going on as well, whereas Prototype just seems sorta generic. Plus, for all this talk about Prototype being a better power-fantasy... well, sure, but they're very different games. While inFamous is all about super-powers, it's still primarily a shooter at its core, with some added manoeuvrability thrown in. Just playing inFamous feels right to me. The controls are super-tight and I always enjoyed clambering around for blast shards. Prototoype could sometimes feel a little loose, and while there's more powers, I seem to recall that a lot of them aren't especially useful, whereas in inFamous every power had a purpose. I thought the story was at least serviceable in both inFamous', too while I can barely remember a single thing about Prototype's.

Prototype certainly has its pluses too, like the sheer chaos you can inflict. But ironically enough given its more power-fantasy focussed direction, Prototype gets to be real fucking difficult as it goes on. I can remember so much of being forced to be constantly on the move, trying to avoid tanks, giant mutants, and so on -- systematically going on the offensive for like a minute before I'm once again forced to run away and feed to heal. The end boss in particular was all kinds of annoying at that. Though even with that said, I've always been curious to maybe go back to it. Only played it the one time before I shelved it -- actually it wasn't mine but my little brothers even. Still, it didn't leave much of a lasting impression, whereas the first inFamous is still one of my favourite games of the previous generation.

I haven't played infamous but it've seen some of the walkthroughs and as a whole package, yes it's better that prototype. But to me prototype was one of my personal favorite games, the sheer destruction you caused was just amazing and I really enjoyed the main character as well as the story. It was slightly generic but the first game set some interesting things up that could have been developed into something fantastic, though the second installment really shat itself in terms of story, but for the sheer fun it provides, it's still essentially good. They improve a lot of the problems Prototype 1 had in terms of game mechanics, especially the what the FUCK is going on! element. In prototype one I found myself juggled from all the attacks that were basically dished out against me, but in the second one you can at least avoid such situations without having to just run away.

I can't say I was bothered by prototypes difficulty either to be honest, I enjoyed it and it reminded me that as powerful as I am in the game, I'm not indestructible, and I still need to plan out the pattern in which I have to attack.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EXTomar

Prototype was the first game I ever played where destruction was boring but that might be RFG doing that. Making mutated people burst into pieces is nice but compared to bringing down a building it kind of "meh".

As I wrote other topics the thing Prototype seemed to get correct was parts of the stealth and escaping compared to RFG and inFamous. Other aspects where not so great compared to RFG and inFamous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.