Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prototype

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 09, 2009

Prototype is an open-world action game from Radical Entertainment. You are Alex Mercer, a human transformed by a deadly virus into a virtually invincible killing machine.

Have you ever crushed someone’s head in your hands?

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By TheLegendofLuke

The first thing that came to my mind when I got past the intro level on [PROTOTYPE] was that it reminded me of Ultimate Spiderman on the PS2. The jumping over buildings, absorbing people, collecting landmark tokens. Which is great, because I have spent hours just free-roaming New York on Ultimate Spiderman. I have no idea why, but swinging between buildings used to relax me. This is probably the first reason why this game is so good. It’s fun to just run over a building and jump to the next.

Of course there is more to this game than just free-running around New York City. Once you get past the first level or so you start to unlock some of Alex Mercer’s powers. You unlock the air dash and the glide, which make the roof running aspect of the game even better. Long gap between buildings? Glide! It’s not the powers that make this aspect fun, its the way they’re implemented and pulled off. It feels so right to be gliding over the rooftops rather than taking the streets like the powerless losers below you. You start to unlock other things such as attack powers and disguise powers. The sheer amount of powers in this game make it a little overwhelming and you sometimes forget that you have such a wide range at your disposal. There are slam moves, swipe moves, throw moves, stealth moves, all sorts. You can literally launch your arm 50ft, grab someone, jump into the air, throw them at a helicopter, glide through the air for a bit, perform an unstoppable barrage of your arms and then land on someone and surf on their body for a few metres.  The chances are you wont even unlock and use them all unless you’re an OCD 100% player.

The story feels a little iffy and the superpowers thing is a little familiar but it works. Some of the levels can be a bit same-y and the challenges to get extra EP (EP are used to obtain upgrades to powers) don’t offer much in the way of variety. Then again, with the amount of variety in the way you can go about each level and the powers you can use to achieve your goal, it’s not surprising it lacks in some places.

Graphically it’s not pushing the boundaries of the systems but it still looks fairly good and definitely better than the ps2 and even the Wii. People look like people and while I am not too fond of the black and red mix for the virus it looks right.

The web of intrigue is a nice idea and for some reason I took far too much glee from bounding acros the city and accidentally stumbling upon an unsuspecting victim to consume to gain their memories.

As well as upgrading powers using the EP system some powers can be upgraded by consuming certain people who can be found in the various military bases. You gain access to them and try to find a way to consume the people inside to increase either you weapon skill, or your skill with a vehicle. This can be done using the stealth aspect, waiting for them to walk into an unwatched corner of the base, or by running in, grabbing them by the face and smashing them to pieces. If you choose the latter method, you tend to end up with several hundred marines shooting you, which usually ends with you using a devastator attack (very satisfyingly, I might add) to wreck up their shit. The devastator attacks are finishers that do a ton of damage and can only be used when you have an abundance of health or are about to die. If you play the game like I do you’ll use them in 2 situations: 1) For funsies when running around. 2) When you need to clear everything out of your way, a bit like you use a shotgun to clear a room full of zombies.

You can pick up weapons such as assault rifles and rocket launchers and it makes a nice change to run around with them at points, or if you choose, to hop into a helicopter and rain hell down on the people of New York. You can also get into a tank, but this often involves stealing it and alerting half the fucking world of your presence and then a helicopter blowing it to pieces just as you figure out the controls. The vehicles could work a little better, but this only feels a little wrong because of how good the on-foot movement feels.

What this game really comes down to is not the amount of powers, or the story, or the visuals though. It’s just incredibly fun. Even when you get to a point in the game where you find yourself being ripped apart you feel driven to either go back to free roam or to try again. It’s enjoyable. Even when it’s being savage and a little over the top brutal you find yourself slightly worried that you’re smiling and feeling comforted. How often are you allowed to take delight from sneaking up behind a women, ripping her throat out and becoming a visual replica of her? Not often enough!

Fun/10.

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TheLegendofLuke

The first thing that came to my mind when I got past the intro level on [PROTOTYPE] was that it reminded me of Ultimate Spiderman on the PS2. The jumping over buildings, absorbing people, collecting landmark tokens. Which is great, because I have spent hours just free-roaming New York on Ultimate Spiderman. I have no idea why, but swinging between buildings used to relax me. This is probably the first reason why this game is so good. It’s fun to just run over a building and jump to the next.

Of course there is more to this game than just free-running around New York City. Once you get past the first level or so you start to unlock some of Alex Mercer’s powers. You unlock the air dash and the glide, which make the roof running aspect of the game even better. Long gap between buildings? Glide! It’s not the powers that make this aspect fun, its the way they’re implemented and pulled off. It feels so right to be gliding over the rooftops rather than taking the streets like the powerless losers below you. You start to unlock other things such as attack powers and disguise powers. The sheer amount of powers in this game make it a little overwhelming and you sometimes forget that you have such a wide range at your disposal. There are slam moves, swipe moves, throw moves, stealth moves, all sorts. You can literally launch your arm 50ft, grab someone, jump into the air, throw them at a helicopter, glide through the air for a bit, perform an unstoppable barrage of your arms and then land on someone and surf on their body for a few metres.  The chances are you wont even unlock and use them all unless you’re an OCD 100% player.

The story feels a little iffy and the superpowers thing is a little familiar but it works. Some of the levels can be a bit same-y and the challenges to get extra EP (EP are used to obtain upgrades to powers) don’t offer much in the way of variety. Then again, with the amount of variety in the way you can go about each level and the powers you can use to achieve your goal, it’s not surprising it lacks in some places.

Graphically it’s not pushing the boundaries of the systems but it still looks fairly good and definitely better than the ps2 and even the Wii. People look like people and while I am not too fond of the black and red mix for the virus it looks right.

The web of intrigue is a nice idea and for some reason I took far too much glee from bounding acros the city and accidentally stumbling upon an unsuspecting victim to consume to gain their memories.

As well as upgrading powers using the EP system some powers can be upgraded by consuming certain people who can be found in the various military bases. You gain access to them and try to find a way to consume the people inside to increase either you weapon skill, or your skill with a vehicle. This can be done using the stealth aspect, waiting for them to walk into an unwatched corner of the base, or by running in, grabbing them by the face and smashing them to pieces. If you choose the latter method, you tend to end up with several hundred marines shooting you, which usually ends with you using a devastator attack (very satisfyingly, I might add) to wreck up their shit. The devastator attacks are finishers that do a ton of damage and can only be used when you have an abundance of health or are about to die. If you play the game like I do you’ll use them in 2 situations: 1) For funsies when running around. 2) When you need to clear everything out of your way, a bit like you use a shotgun to clear a room full of zombies.

You can pick up weapons such as assault rifles and rocket launchers and it makes a nice change to run around with them at points, or if you choose, to hop into a helicopter and rain hell down on the people of New York. You can also get into a tank, but this often involves stealing it and alerting half the fucking world of your presence and then a helicopter blowing it to pieces just as you figure out the controls. The vehicles could work a little better, but this only feels a little wrong because of how good the on-foot movement feels.

What this game really comes down to is not the amount of powers, or the story, or the visuals though. It’s just incredibly fun. Even when you get to a point in the game where you find yourself being ripped apart you feel driven to either go back to free roam or to try again. It’s enjoyable. Even when it’s being savage and a little over the top brutal you find yourself slightly worried that you’re smiling and feeling comforted. How often are you allowed to take delight from sneaking up behind a women, ripping her throat out and becoming a visual replica of her? Not often enough!

Fun/10.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Yes. Yes I have.

Snuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Snuffy

tl;dr

But to answer your topic question, yes I have.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Luke

In real life, yes, every other day I do this (in my mind). 

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Pie

You should submit this as a review for prototype

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By GunnBjorn

Several times with Jax's 'Ear Warmer' fatality.
    Other then that, my hands are clean.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

I didn't realize this was about Prototype... I was ready to share my real life stories of crushing peoples heads in my hands. Oh well, another time.   :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.